Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Do you live near a wind farm? Would you?

Do you live near a wind farm? Would you?

Old May 17th 2013, 4:33 am

Yorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Do you live near a wind farm? Would you?

Originally Posted by Bob
On a slight tangent...have noticed a couple of rather largish solar farms cropping up in the area. The one in the Concord/Lincoln area is expanding quite a bit and is massive and the one near Framingham was pretty large too, but that was was at least by the side of the motorway.
Ugh.....don't talk to me about solar......my 2nd and 4th graders just got hit with a final project (12 days to go to summer!!!) to build a solar powered house and construct a timeline of solar power development. What are these teachers on? There's only 12 days left ffs......

On a tangent, and in the "you learn something new every day" category, did you know that Archimedes apparently used his soldiers bronze shields as reflectors to concentrate the suns powers to set fire to roman galleons? No, nor did I, but apparently he did!

Solar power though....like it, wish we could install it here, but not cost effective (for us) yet. Apparently it's not as green as its touted though, due to some nasty processes and by- products of manufacture....
Old May 17th 2013, 12:32 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Yorkieabroad

Solar power though....like it, wish we could install it here, but not cost effective (for us) yet. Apparently it's not as green as its touted though, due to some nasty processes and by- products of manufacture....
It's pretty nasty process, but in places like Spain/Greece etc it pluses out just on economies of scale. It probably could if used more widely over here in TX/NV kind of places.

What is very green in comparison is a mirror farm, doing the thing with the shield, to reflect light into a central drum as a big steam boiler.
Old May 17th 2013, 1:00 pm

Yorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
It's pretty nasty process, but in places like Spain/Greece etc it pluses out just on economies of scale. It probably could if used more widely over here in TX/NV kind of places.

What is very green in comparison is a mirror farm, doing the thing with the shield, to reflect light into a central drum as a big steam boiler.
Yeah, my mum has a house in Spain and it has solar power - it doesn't quite meet all of her requirements, but her power costs are negligible now.

I thought it would be a shoe-in for us here (Texas) but even with the subsidies and tax breaks, the payback is just too long (or our existing power too cheap) to justify from an economic point of view.

Did you see about that new hotel that opened in Vegas a couple of years back? The Aria or something like that. Mirrored windows, built in a curve, and they hadn't reckoned on the focused reflective power....all sorts of stories about people getting burned and their Raybans and cellphones melted because of the heat generated by the building
Old May 17th 2013, 1:08 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Yorkieabroad

Did you see about that new hotel that opened in Vegas a couple of years back? The Aria or something like that. Mirrored windows, built in a curve, and they hadn't reckoned on the focused reflective power....all sorts of stories about people getting burned and their Raybans and cellphones melted because of the heat generated by the building
No, I hadn't....but that's awesome
Old May 17th 2013, 1:31 pm

OK, it was the Vdara, not the Aria - I knew it had a couple of a's in it....

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1315978/Las-Vegas-hotel-death-ray-leaves-guests-severe-burns.html

http://abcnews.go.com/Travel/las-veg...4#.UZYwnr4o7GIhttp://abcnews.go.com/Travel/las-veg...4#.UZYwnr4o7GI
Old May 17th 2013, 2:26 pm
The worse half of Weeze

Mr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond repute

They did a Mythbusters on the shield thing - I'm sure it's on YouTube. There are large pilot reflector power stations (a particularly large one in Spain I think) and they use molten salt in the closed loop to create the steam, if memory serves. That's pretty damn warm!
Old May 17th 2013, 2:32 pm

[QUOTE=Mr Weeze;10712514]They did a Mythbusters on the shield thing - I'm sure it's on YouTube. QUOTE]

That's a shame - I kinda liked that one!

Son got it from here...http://www1.eere.energy.gov/solar/pd...r_timeline.pdf that reckons the Greek navy (so no vested interests there then!) managed to replicate it in 1973. Government website, and they surely wouldn't lie.... I'm gonna let him include it and they can duke it out in class
Old May 17th 2013, 3:01 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

The Spanish PV system collapsed, it was based on very high buy in tarrifs, now cut retrospectively. Leaving a lot of people in a hole.

PV obviously has a lot of embedded energy, but the vast majority of panels are manufactured in 'developing' countries so the CO2 impact on the US is pretty negligible.

My supplier does not subsidise the cost, well not yet, there is legislation going through at State level that might make this happen. Good if you can afford them, not so good if you can not and end up paying higher rates.

Solar hot water makes the most sense.
Old May 17th 2013, 4:05 pm
The worse half of Weeze

Mr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond repute

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/PS10_Solar_Power_Plant

A link to the plant I mentioned. I remembered incorrectly about the salt though.
Old May 18th 2013, 1:15 pm
Mouthy Yank

Speedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond repute

I'd much rather live near a wind farm or solar plant than as close as my husband's home is to the dirty methane plant they're proposing to build in Sion Mills... http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-22565518 ruin the mill and the countryside more like... they're creating a whole TWO jobs
Old May 21st 2013, 4:25 pm
Under blue skies

WEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jeffreyhy
http://www.energycentral.com/generat...s-a-nuisance-?

Selectmen placed a question on the May 21 election ballot that asks voters to allow a Proposition 2 1/2 debt exclusion to fund the decommissioning, dismantling and removal of the turbines and to repay grants, prepaid renewable energy credits and other costs associated with removal.

If voters say yes, any debt incurred to remove the turbines would be exempt from the limits of Proposition 2 1/2 , which caps property tax increases at 2.5 percent above the tax base.

The question does not specify the cost of removal.

State officials last month told the town there would be no forgiveness for about $1 million in prepaid renewable energy credits and nearly $5 million in stimulus grants used to construct the turbines.

Town Manager Julian Suso has estimated removing the turbines will cost a total of $14 million.
Hmmm, this vote is happening today.
Old May 23rd 2013, 12:46 am
Under blue skies

WEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by WEBlue
Hmmm, this vote is happening today.
And the result of the vote on whether or not to dismantle the two wind turbines causing so much controversy in Falmouth MA is a resounding no, by around 2 to 1. So it seems the turbines will stay where they are.
Old May 23rd 2013, 8:19 pm

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

But sitting idle, not operating, I expect?

Thanks for following up and reporting on this.

Regards, JEff

Originally Posted by WEBlue
And the result of the vote on whether or not to dismantle the two wind turbines causing so much controversy in Falmouth MA is a resounding no, by around 2 to 1. So it seems the turbines will stay where they are.
Old May 26th 2013, 12:01 pm
Under blue skies

Originally Posted by jeffreyhy
But sitting idle, not operating, I expect?

Thanks for following up and reporting on this.

Regards, JEff
Interesting question! And one that I find Google struggles to answer....apparently the operational status of the turbines ATM is not such big news.