Do you carry your greencard?

Old Apr 4th 2006, 3:30 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Do you carry your greencard?

Originally Posted by fatbrit
Here's a quick checklist for N400 applicants and BE posters. Thank god I never lived in Kansas, otherwise I would never have qualified for citizenship!

In Alabama, it is illegal to wear a fake mustache that causes laughter in church.
Since menopause, I can wear the real thing

In Michigan, a man legally owns his wife's hair.
Makes it easier for him to make a rug for his shiny dome without the town knowing he had to import the hair from China.

In Idaho, the law states all boxes of candy given as romantic gifts must weigh more than 50 pounds
And you wondered by the ladies and odd gentlemen in Idaho tip the scales at over 300 lbs.

Putting salt on a railroad track can be punishable by death in the state of Alabama.
That's because everyone with 1/2 a brain knows that pepper is hotter and will melt the ice faster. Geez!

In Texas, it's illegal to put graffiti on someone else's cow.
Are your listing Hyper? Don't take the Balcony Cow to Dallas for vacation.

In Alabama, dominoes may not be played on Sunday.
We set the alarm at Jeannie's house for 11:59 pm so that we don't violate this law.

In New York City, it's illegal to shake a dust mop out a window.
Phew and I was afraid that shaking my throw rug would be a problem.

In Connorsville, Wisconsin a man is legally prohibited from shooting a gun while his female partner is having an orgasm.
The law doesn't say though if the gun is a single load or a six shooter?

In New York, it's against the law to throw a ball at someone's head for fun.
Only serious pitches are allowed.

An old law in Bellingham, Washington, made it illegal for a woman to take anything other than backwards steps while dancing.
Can't allow any woman to get to "forward"

In Florida, having sexual relations with a porcupine is illegal.
Talk about sticking relationships.

In the state of Texas, it is illegal to take more than three sips of beer at a time while standing.
Any sane person knows that's because on the fourth sip they are so drunk they fall down. Since everything in Texas is so BIG, their sips are considered chug-a-lugging by northerners.

A person is not eligible to become governor in Pennsylvania if they have participated in a duel.
Do pillow fights count?

In Texas, it's illegal to milk another person's cow.
Hyper if you wash the graffi off the BC, then take it to Dallas, you won't have to worry about anyone else playing with her tits.

It's illegal to have sex with a corpse anywhere in the United States.
And if the corpse is male, virtually impossible unless the mortician had done a good job.

In Michigan a woman isn't allowed to cut her own hair without her husband's permission.
There we go again ... man's obssession with women's hair.
Old Apr 4th 2006, 3:54 pm
Account Closed

TruBrit is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Ray
Re-read mine .............nothing .....

how old is the paperwork you are reading
Old Apr 4th 2006, 3:54 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TruBrit
how old is the paperwork you are reading
Old Apr 4th 2006, 4:17 pm
Shocked of Redmond

nettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Folinskyinla
Hi:

Interesting question. If the misdemeanor involves moral turpitude, then it is a "strike". However, the question is whether or not one is under the "two strikes" rule [e.g. the "petty offense" exception] or the "one strike" rule.

To be honest, although the term "strike" is used quite often in [at least California State] criminal law, I've never seen it used in the immigration field.

As I say, interesting question. You may start new immigration related terminology.
Putting the terminology aside, and considering "moral turpitude". If you look at the Public Defender Service web site (http://www.pdsdc.org/CriminalLawData...ategoryDef.asp) you find the following regarding CIMTs:

What is a CIMT?

Unfortunately, there is no statutory definition of a “crime involving moral turpitude.” CIMT is defined only by case law. Courts have generally described it as a crime that is “inherently base, vile or depraved and contrary to the accepted rules of morality and the duties owed between persons or to society in general…and as an act which is per se morally reprehensible and intrinsically wrong, or malum in se so it is the nature of the act itself and not the statutory prohibition of it which renders a crime one of moral turpitude.” Matter of Franklin, 20 I&N Dec. 867 (BIA 1994). The immigration judge will examine the elements of the offense to determine if it is a CIMT. The actual facts of a case may not be as important as the elements of the offense. For example, a crime that involves intent to commit fraud or theft, intent to do great bodily harm, lewd intent in some sex offenses, or in some cases recklessness or malice, is considered a CIMT.

Looking at the underlined part, I think you could make a pretty good case that deliberately flouting a law which grants you the tremendous privilege -- I believe Udall describes it as one of the greatest gifts the US can bestow -- of living and working in the US contravenes those norms.

To me, not carrying your GC is saying "I can ignore one of the specific laws of the US associated with my residency here, because I feel it might cause me some inconvenience at some unspecified point in the future." This seems to me tremendously respectful of the laws of the country, to say the least, and I think that the USCIS would be quite within their rights to deny natz on the grounds that somebody deliberately ignored immigration law.

Comments?
Old Apr 4th 2006, 4:20 pm
Shocked of Redmond

nettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ray
Hi Matt .. I have just been thru all the info supplied with the GC ...
there is no reference anywhere I can find in relation to carrying
the card on your person all the time ..
How would one be aware about such a regulation...
My GC (arrived March last year) came in a cardboard carrier, like those that credit cards come in. There is a section that says very simply "You must carry the card with you at all times. It is the law".

I don't know how long notices like that have been going out, but now people have no excuse for not knowing.
Old Apr 4th 2006, 4:38 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nettlebed
My GC (arrived March last year) came in a cardboard carrier, like those that credit cards come in. There is a section that says very simply "You must carry the card with you at all times. It is the law".

I don't know how long notices like that have been going out, but now people have no excuse for not knowing.
Obviously not for very long ..mine has nothing on it ..
Old Apr 4th 2006, 4:41 pm
Account Closed

TruBrit is an unknown quantity at this point

nope mine is 10yrs old and nothing on it at all neither with the accompanying paperwork..i've just looked through it all....i'm expecting my new one to have all the info
Old Apr 4th 2006, 4:42 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Looking at the underlined part, I think you could make a pretty good case that deliberately flouting a law which grants you the tremendous privilege -- I believe Udall describes it as one of the greatest gifts the US can bestow -- of living and working in the US contravenes those norms.

I don't believe it is the greatest gift the US can bestow. The greatest gift in my opinion is naturalization which allows to vote in the determination of how your government is run for YOU, the US citizen. The government belongs to the USC and it is only its elected officials so seem to forget that it is the government of the people, for the people and by the people and run it as if it were their private corporation and skim the profits from the top.
Old Apr 4th 2006, 4:43 pm
Concierge

Originally Posted by TruBrit
nope mine is 10yrs old and nothing on it at all neither with the accompanying paperwork..i've just looked through it all....i'm expecting my new one to have all the info

Jim's back in 2001 came with the same card and legend as Nettle's. In print is that one must carry the card at all times.
Old Apr 4th 2006, 4:46 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rete
Can't allow any woman to get to "forward"
Not strictly true! A female skating in Ohio or Indiana appears to have little more leeway than her male counterpart if so inclined. Looks like blatant discrimination to me.
Old Apr 4th 2006, 5:14 pm
Forum Regular

jgbreton is an unknown quantity at this point

My wife always carries hers.

Her Welcome to America letter said that she must "cary it" with her at all times. They ate an 'r'.
Old Apr 4th 2006, 5:24 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Putting the terminology aside, and considering "moral turpitude". If you look at the Public Defender Service web site (http://www.pdsdc.org/CriminalLawData...ategoryDef.asp) you find the following regarding CIMTs:

What is a CIMT?

Unfortunately, there is no statutory definition of a “crime involving moral turpitude.” CIMT is defined only by case law. Courts have generally described it as a crime that is “inherently base, vile or depraved and contrary to the accepted rules of morality and the duties owed between persons or to society in general…and as an act which is per se morally reprehensible and intrinsically wrong, or malum in se so it is the nature of the act itself and not the statutory prohibition of it which renders a crime one of moral turpitude.” Matter of Franklin, 20 I&N Dec. 867 (BIA 1994). The immigration judge will examine the elements of the offense to determine if it is a CIMT. The actual facts of a case may not be as important as the elements of the offense. For example, a crime that involves intent to commit fraud or theft, intent to do great bodily harm, lewd intent in some sex offenses, or in some cases recklessness or malice, is considered a CIMT.

To me, not carrying your GC is saying "I can ignore one of the specific laws of the US associated with my residency here, because I feel it might cause me some inconvenience at some unspecified point in the future." This seems to me tremendously respectful of the laws of the country, to say the least, and I think that the USCIS would be quite within their rights to deny natz on the grounds that somebody deliberately ignored immigration law.

Comments?

Innocent to proven guilty comes to mind.

Or did that get chopped somewhere. Presumably that is why the N400 goes on a bit to include specified non crimes.

CIMT is by definition a Crime, and for that apply certain judicial processes have to be gone through.

And like I say I just do not believe there is anyone who never ever does not carry (or cary) their GC. Are you carrying yours now? Mine is in my filing cabinet, I could reach it in 3 seconds, but I am not carrying it. If it was in my wallet, it would be upstairs, also not carrying it, and 30 seconds away.
Old Apr 4th 2006, 5:25 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Rete
run it as if it were their private corporation and skim the profits from the top.
Rete,

I have some terrible news for you.......
Old Apr 4th 2006, 5:31 pm
Ray

Originally Posted by jgbreton
My wife always carries hers.
Her Welcome to America letter said that she must "cary it" with her at all times. They ate an 'r'.
Ok!! I got the magnifying glass out and found it on the 797C....
Old Apr 4th 2006, 6:17 pm
Concierge

Originally Posted by Boiler
Rete,

I have some terrible news for you.......

And what might that be, dear? That my presumption is NOT true or that the corporation is now bankrupt?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.