Do you carry your greencard?

Old Apr 4th 2006, 5:24 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Do you carry your greencard?

Originally Posted by fatbrit
Always produce a UK or other non-US DL when they ask for it with a credit card. BTW, it's against Visa policy to ask for photo ID (but they don't enforce it). It's also against MasterCard's policy and they're a bit more gun ho about it. You can register you complaint on the web:
http://www.mastercard.com/us/persona...iolations.html

I just wish I had not lost my original paper DL, would have been perfect for these situation. And it went to 65.

Turned the flat upside down but could not find it, came to the conclusion I must have lost it prior to my last move, and that was 10 years prior.
Old Apr 4th 2006, 5:28 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Matthew Udall
What if one wanted to apply for Naturalization one day and wanted to be honest when answering the questions on that form?
????

So I have to declare everytime I have not carries my GC?

And every time I might have broken the speed limit by a mile or so.

And jaywalked.

So far the only person who has had an issue was an Immigration Lawyer, did she declare it?
Old Apr 4th 2006, 6:06 am
Banned

Matthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boiler
????

So I have to declare everytime I have not carries my GC?

And every time I might have broken the speed limit by a mile or so.

And jaywalked.

So far the only person who has had an issue was an Immigration Lawyer, did she declare it?
Oh come on, the human experience provides us all with more colorful opportunities than the lame examples (speeding and jaywalking) you give above. How about illegally downloading music as one example, which is still probably a pretty common theft crime.

So are you saying you are willing to lie on an N-400 (And I can’t tell you what to do, you will have to decide this for yourself)? And do you give such ridiculous examples to discourage others from being truthful on the N-400?

You know, just listing “yes” (where an honest person would answer yes) does not necessarily mean the N-400 will be denied. Check out the N-400 instructions.

Under Part 10, they say, “Answer each question by checking yes or no. If any part of a question applies to you, you must answer yes. For example, if you were never arrested but were once detained by a police officer, check “yes” to the question “Have you ever been arrested or detained by a law enforcement officer?” and attach a written explanation”.

Cont: “We will use this information to determine your eligibility for citizenship. Answer every question honestly and accurately. If you do not, we may deny your application for lack of good moral character. Answering “yes” to one of these questions does not always cause an application to be denied”.

So, lying on the N-400 is a separate and perhaps more damaging strike than simply telling the truth. And for those who use the internet to archive the truth (which is pretty dumb in IMO), well I guess they will have the same choice as anybody else when it comes to being truthful when asking the U.S. government to grant the greatest gift it can bestow.

And when it comes down to something as silly and as easy as carrying a greencard, that seems pretty ridiculous to me. I’ve been carrying my drivers license around since the age of 16 and believe me its not that much of a bother. And if I lost it, well I’d order another one. What’s the bid deal?

Again, if one is a liar that's up to them, but if so then it seems a little dumb to archive the truth on a news group... don't cha think?

Last edited by Matthew Udall; Apr 4th 2006 at 6:23 am.
Old Apr 4th 2006, 6:30 am
SUPER CRUNCHY BALCONY COW

Hypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
Don't you already have enough gas inside you?

Ian
Hahaha Maybe that's why they carded me!!
Old Apr 4th 2006, 6:32 am

Hypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond repute

Well the air can would explain all those Happy Cow graffiti in downtown Denver.

I have been carded in Office Depot, they wanted to see my DL, asked why, could not answer so pulled out my UK DL.

Some mumblings, but they wanted a DL, they got a DL.

As far as Offies ae concerned I have raise the question as to why they have these signs saying 'We ID', when I have never been asked. The best reply was a guy in Boulder who said it was OK as my Mum had been in the previous week and told him that I had just turned 21. Nice One.
Hahaha!! Those peeps in Boulder...
Old Apr 4th 2006, 6:35 am

Oh come on, the human experience provides us all with more colorful opportunities than the lame examples (speeding and jaywalking) you give above. How about illegally downloading music as one example, which is still probably a pretty common theft crime.

So are you saying you are willing to lie on an N-400 (And I can’t tell you what to do, you will have to decide this for yourself)? And do you give such ridiculous examples to discourage others from being truthful on the N-400?

You know, just listing “the bid deal?

Again, if one is a liar that's up to them, but if so then it seems a little dumb to archive the truth on a news group... don't cha think?
Ouch!! My gas is going to get me in trouble!!! If I have to tell how many times I farted in hope of getting out of trouble.. I am going to need lots of paper
Old Apr 4th 2006, 6:39 am
Account Closed

Oh come on, the human experience provides us all with more colorful opportunities than the lame examples you give above. How about illegally downloading music as one example, which is still probably a pretty common theft crime?

You know, just listing “yes” (where an honest person would answer yes) does not necessarily mean the N-400 will be denied. Check out the N-400 instructions.

Under Part 10, they say, “Answer each question by checking yes or no. If any part of a question applies to you, you must answer yes. For example, if you were never arrested but were once detained by a police officer, check “yes” to the question “Have you ever been arrested or detained by a law enforcement officer?” and attach a written explanation”.

Cont: “We will use this information to determine your eligibility for citizenship. Answer every question honestly and accurately. If you do not, we may deny your application for lack of good moral character. Answering “yes” to one of these questions does not always cause an application to be denied”.

So, lying on the N-400 is a separate and perhaps more damaging strike than simply telling the truth. And for those who use the internet to archive the truth (which is pretty dumb in IMO), well I guess they will have the same choice as anybody else when it comes to being truthful when asking the U.S. government to grant the greatest gift it can bestow.

And when it comes down to something a silly and as easy as carrying a greencard, that seems pretty ridiculous to me. I’ve been carrying my drivers license around since the age of 16 and believe me its not that much of a bother. And if I lost it, well I’d order another one. What’s the bid deal?
Sir,

I have never downloaded music. So looks like I am OK. Prefer Talk Radio.

As I mentioned above, I never used to carry my DL, although I do now, well if I am driving.

Have I ever driven in the US without my DL on me, probably. I certainly could not state beyong reasonable doubt that I had not.

By the look of it any Republican would need to answer YES to 9b maybe and certainly 10. (Off topic, but what happens next?). Some might suggest 9c as well, but personally I think that would be too far.

I presume that you are refering to Question 15, if you had been cited/detained/charged, like the Immigration Lawyer, then you would have to put in the details. Nowhere have I suggested otherwise.

Life is full of risks, often there is no perfect solution, we all have to make our own choices according to our perception of what is best.

If I lived in a border town, no doubt my view of where that balance was would be different.

PS: Before I had my GC, I did not carry my Passport around with me either.

PPS: Assuming the amnesty, there are going to be some interesting forms going through the system in a few years.
Old Apr 4th 2006, 7:18 am
Banned

Matthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond repute

I have never downloaded music. So looks like I am OK. Prefer Talk Radio.

By the look of it any Republican would need to answer YES to 9b maybe and certainly 10. (Off topic, but what happens next?). Some might suggest 9c as well, but personally I think that would be too far.

I presume that you are refering to Question 15, if you had been cited/detained/charged, like the Immigration Lawyer, then you would have to put in the details. Nowhere have I suggested otherwise.

Life is full of risks, often there is no perfect solution, we all have to make our own choices according to our perception of what is best.

If I lived in a border town, no doubt my view of where that balance was would be different.

PS: Before I had my GC, I did not carry my Passport around with me either.
Hi Boiler,
Hey, I like talk radio too although I don’t get the opportunity to listen to it too often (usually when driving across the desert to Utah). I like NPR, Tom Lykis, and I used to even enjoy listening to Art Bell late in the evenings.

I understand the desire to joke around and make light of things (answering yes to 9b, 9c and 10) but I actually think this is a serious topic. Everyone has to make up their own mind if they want to be an honest person, but not everyone may know about the N-400 and the requirement to carry the card. I worry when I see the “funny” replies that seem to minimize or make light of the requirement to carry the card (like its no big deal to commit this misdemeanor). And I also think its dumb to post (archive) things in public that could likely get that person into trouble (evidence of later falsehoods made on CIS forms). Maybe some people haven’t taken this reality into consideration, so its possible that our discussion might be helpful to some.

Question 15 is relevant to this discussion, but you are quoting question 16 in your posting above.

Yes, we all have to make our own choices but I worry about those who don’t know any better, who might not want to have to eventually lie, and who are influenced by the whole “so I have to report jaywalking!” wink and a nod examples that typically come up in this type of discussion. The whole, “you have got to be kidding, I have to obey the law about carrying my greencard” attitude might influence the perceptions and choices of those who look up to you (after all, you are a long time participant, seem to be a nice fellow, and I assume a very respected member to many).

And advocating unlawful behavior is certainly against the BE rules of acceptable conduct. But don’t worry; I’m not a moderator.

You say you live in a border town, but how is that relevant to this discussion of committing a misdemeanor by not carrying the card? So, “you” might live in a place where perhaps you might come into contact with someone who might want to check your status... having your card on you might come in handy (although I have no idea if that is true… would actually ever happen) however every single person who files an N-400 must answer honestly and where they live in the U.S. is irrelevant.

This thread clearly shows that some will post damaging and incriminating information about themselves on the internet that will be archived for years to come, and I think the truth of this reality may be important to others regardless of where they live.

Last edited by Matthew Udall; Apr 4th 2006 at 7:38 am.
Old Apr 4th 2006, 7:43 am
Account Closed

I was refering to Question 15, not 16.

15 asks - Have you ever committed a crime or offense for which you were not arrested, you are then asked to complete the section below if YES.

You then have to give details of when you were arrested/cited/detained or charged. Arrested does not apply in this question, so that leaves cited, detained or charged.

So to come back to my purile examples, next time someone does not stop for me and the dog at the Pedestrian Crossings in town, which is usual, they would only need to fill in details if they were cited, detained or charged.

More seriously, if you have advocated regieme change in Iraq, how could you not answer YES to 10?. If its OK not to mention anything GW has done, that would exempt DUI's as well, and probably quite a few other things.

Now if I have missed something, please do point out where it says otherwise.

PS I thought it was offence with a c, but spelling has never been my strong point.

Bedtime.
Old Apr 4th 2006, 7:47 am
Account Closed

Radio 5 Rules

I do not live in a Border town, IF I did I most likely would make sure I had it with me.

There are probably many laws I have broken without knowing it, I appreciate that ignorance is no excuse.
Old Apr 4th 2006, 1:40 pm
Jan Schaumann

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
Hash: SHA1

* Minty wrote:
    >
    > I was chatting with another expat last night and the subject of
    > carrying greencards came up. I recently received mine (about 2 months
    > ago) and the accompanying letter said that it should be carried at all
    > times ... so I do!

Going through this thread, I have the following question:

Why would GC holders be required to carry the GC with them?

To the best of my knowledge, I am not currently required to carry my
passport or visa with me at all times, nor are US citizens required to
carry their passport with them.

That is, it is my understanding that under most circumstances hardly
anybody is actually entitled to request to see your authorization to be in
the country -- regular law enforcement, for example, can not ask you to
produce your green card.

Am I wrong?

If I'm correct in that non-permanent residents are not required to carry
their passport/visa with them at all times, why would a stronger
restriction be imposed on GC holders? Especially given the risk of
loosing such an important document, as others have expressed.

- -Jan

- --
"You just come along with me and have a good time. The Galaxy's a
fun place. You'll need to have this fish in your ear."
-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
Version: GnuPG v1.4.1 (NetBSD)

iD8DBQFEMnkNfFtkr68iakwRAtl+AJ9/Uh1TujnPTbJ5JruyUXADpCLyNwCeOjxH
cooxpMQW6AoVQaOdbDpncFU=
=a8wx
-----END PGP SIGNATURE-----

Old Apr 4th 2006, 2:31 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

I’m just now working my way through the thread, but I agree and I find it hard to believe that some would confess their misdemeanor and then archive their confession on the net. But hey, whatever floats yer boat.
Hi Matt .. I have just been thru all the info supplied with the GC ...
there is no reference anywhere I can find in relation to carrying
the card on your person all the time ..
How would one be aware about such a regulation...
Old Apr 4th 2006, 2:35 pm
Account Closed

Folinskyinla is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Jan Schaumann
Going through this thread, I have the following question:

Why would GC holders be required to carry the GC with them?
Section 264(e) of the Immigration & Nationality Act. Note defintion found at 101(a)(3).
Old Apr 4th 2006, 2:36 pm
Account Closed

Folinskyinla is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Ray
Hi Matt .. I have just been thru all the info supplied with the GC ...
there is no reference anywhere I can find in relation to carrying
the card on your person all the time ..
How would one be aware about such a regulation...
http://uscis.gov/lpBin/lpext.dll/ins...htm#slb-act264
Old Apr 4th 2006, 2:42 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Folinskyinla
So how would Mr average find that information ...
You could hardly expect somebody to get their GC and then search for rules relating to it ..not everybody would even know how ..

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.