Do you carry your greencard?

Old Apr 3rd 2006, 6:08 pm
SUPER CRUNCHY BALCONY COW

Hypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Do you carry your greencard?

Originally Posted by Noorah101
Hi Kate,

That reminds me of an incident recently, where we had sent Sadegh's original green card and passport to the UK embassy in LA to get a visitor's visa. He was carrying a photocopy of the green card in his wallet. As it happened, lost his wallet during that time! We canceled the credit cards and got him a new State ID, no problem. The UK embassy returned his green card shortly after that, and within a couple of weeks, some kind soul even mailed Sadegh's wallet back to him, fully intact, money and everything!!

Rene

Wow! He got it back with everything in it?? Wow!! This is the best I have heard in months!! You should take that person out to dinner or something!
Lucky him!!
Old Apr 3rd 2006, 6:21 pm
Account Closed

TruBrit is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Hypertweeky
I don't know how the old version looks like but the one I saw was fancy
Why are you sadly in texas??
hmm well you did ask... it's a combination of things... the ugliness of the city and the location (it's so isolated) plus i hate humidity... as for the american people they are just ott (esp the women) and besides being full of themselves are full of sh** ....i am one of the minority on here i think that had a great life in a great part of the uk and did not move here looking for anything else....i have travelled the world and always known how lucky i am to have been born british...apart from that i had a great job i loved and a very nice comfortable lifestyle...plus it was home. still things don't last forever and i go home whenever i want so i am lucky. now some people on here will turn and misinterpret my post so let me say now all the above relates to me and me personally and my views.
Old Apr 3rd 2006, 6:32 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Hey you

I can't even buy gum to quit smoking for my husband when I go to walgreens, I get carded for everything, one time I got carded when attempting to buy an air can!!!

(sigh)

Enjoy it while it lasts!
Old Apr 3rd 2006, 6:37 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TruBrit
hmm well you did ask... it's a combination of things... the ugliness of the city and the location (it's so isolated) plus i hate humidity... as for the american people they are just ott (esp the women) and besides being full of themselves are full of sh** ....i am one of the minority on here i think that had a great life in a great part of the uk and did not move here looking for anything else....i have travelled the world and always known how lucky i am to have been born british...apart from that i had a great job i loved and a very nice comfortable lifestyle...plus it was home. still things don't last forever and i go home whenever i want so i am lucky. now some people on here will turn and misinterpret my post so let me say now all the above relates to me and me personally and my views.
Whinging pom!!!!
Old Apr 3rd 2006, 6:39 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TruBrit
hmm well you did ask... it's a combination of things... the ugliness of the city and the location (it's so isolated) plus i hate humidity...
I hear ya! I don't like Houston because of the humidity, either. I visited there once, and scenery was lovely. I wanted to go for a walk, but I spent about 3 minutes outdoors, got drenched in sweat, and stayed indoors the rest of the visit.

Rene
Old Apr 3rd 2006, 6:40 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ray
Whinging pom!!!!

Rude canuck!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old Apr 3rd 2006, 6:45 pm
Account Closed

TruBrit is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Ray
Whinging pom!!!!

hey you hoodie....read the thread...i was asked the question and was polite like i always am in replying....
Old Apr 3rd 2006, 7:36 pm
Shocked of Redmond

nettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ray
Whinging pom!!!!
I heard a wonderful Aussie description of this once: Bloody whinging pom, complaining just because you've been given out LBW by the square leg umpire!!!

But to get back OT for a sec. Do misdemeanours count as strikes against good moral character for GC holders wishing to naturalise? If so, then that is proababy an extremely good argument for people who wish to naturalise to carry the GC with them. Imagine getting stopped just before your natz test and having to wait another three or five years...
Old Apr 3rd 2006, 7:56 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Hey you:I got carded when attempting to buy an air can!!!
Don't you already have enough gas inside you?

Ian
Old Apr 3rd 2006, 7:57 pm
Mh

In article <[email protected]> ,
andrea874 <member21863@british_expats.com> wrote:
    >> Hi:
    >> The law REQUIRES you to carry the orginal. I recommend you make a
    >> photocopy to keep at home. You may want to apply for a "re-entry
    >> permit" via form I-131. It is green card in booklet form and its
    >> valid for two years [or expiry of condition].
    >> One of these days, I might tell you the story of an IMMIGRATION
    >> ATTORNEY who was an LPR and carried a copy rather than the original.
    >> It is amusing, but shall we say that I personally observed a reason to
    >> carry the damn original?
    >I carry mine in my wallet. With that said, I rarely have my wallet with
    >me if I'm just doing my day to day routine.

I have mine in my wallet and almost never leave our house without it.

MH

Old Apr 3rd 2006, 8:15 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hey you

I can't even buy gum to quit smoking for my husband when I go to walgreens, I get carded for everything, one time I got carded when attempting to buy an air can!!!
Well the air can would explain all those Happy Cow graffiti in downtown Denver.

I have been carded in Office Depot, they wanted to see my DL, asked why, could not answer so pulled out my UK DL.

Some mumblings, but they wanted a DL, they got a DL.

As far as Offies ae concerned I have raise the question as to why they have these signs saying 'We ID', when I have never been asked. The best reply was a guy in Boulder who said it was OK as my Mum had been in the previous week and told him that I had just turned 21. Nice One.
Old Apr 4th 2006, 3:34 am
Banned

Matthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Minty
Interesting so far. Two carry their greencards and two do not!
I’m just now working my way through the thread, but I agree and I find it hard to believe that some would confess their misdemeanor and then archive their confession on the net. But hey, whatever floats yer boat.
Old Apr 4th 2006, 3:37 am
Banned

Matthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boiler
Following the last time this came up, I have a photocopy in my wallet.

I find it difficult to believe that those who say that they carry it, always do so.

I usually have my DL with me, but not always.

Ditto CC's.

As has been said the chance of losing it is higher than having an issue showing it, and so are the financial consequences.
What if one wanted to apply for Naturalization one day and wanted to be honest when answering the questions on that form?
Old Apr 4th 2006, 3:41 am
Account Closed

Folinskyinla is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by nettlebed
But to get back OT for a sec. Do misdemeanours count as strikes against good moral character for GC holders wishing to naturalise? If so, then that is proababy an extremely good argument for people who wish to naturalise to carry the GC with them. Imagine getting stopped just before your natz test and having to wait another three or five years...
Hi:

Interesting question. If the misdemeanor involves moral turpitude, then it is a "strike". However, the question is whether or not one is under the "two strikes" rule [e.g. the "petty offense" exception] or the "one strike" rule.

To be honest, although the term "strike" is used quite often in [at least California State] criminal law, I've never seen it used in the immigration field.

As I say, interesting question. You may start new immigration related terminology.
Old Apr 4th 2006, 5:12 am
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boiler
Well the air can would explain all those Happy Cow graffiti in downtown Denver.

I have been carded in Office Depot, they wanted to see my DL, asked why, could not answer so pulled out my UK DL.

Some mumblings, but they wanted a DL, they got a DL.

As far as Offies ae concerned I have raise the question as to why they have these signs saying 'We ID', when I have never been asked. The best reply was a guy in Boulder who said it was OK as my Mum had been in the previous week and told him that I had just turned 21. Nice One.

Always produce a UK or other non-US DL when they ask for it with a credit card. BTW, it's against Visa policy to ask for photo ID (but they don't enforce it). It's also against MasterCard's policy and they're a bit more gun ho about it. You can register you complaint on the web:
http://www.mastercard.com/us/persona...iolations.html

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.