Do you carry your greencard?

Old Apr 2nd 2006, 8:41 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Do you carry your greencard?

Originally Posted by Hypertweeky
Cool! I am looking forward to get mine! It has been a month and days since my interview, Those background checks take forever, don't they?

Ps: You look at it everyday..
I have no idea how long the background check took, my interview date took forever so sometime during that they did the other.

I looked at when I got it and then when I copied it, I keep meaning to put it in the safety deposit box but never got around to it, probably overkill.

Off to San Fran on Thursday, might take it with me.
Old Apr 2nd 2006, 8:42 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Noorah101
Ice? What's that? That's a foreign word to us Arizonans. Please speak English. LOL

Rene
Well Arizona has its own time system, so why not its own language?

Still yawning.
Old Apr 2nd 2006, 8:45 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boiler
Well Arizona has its own time system, so why not its own language?

Still yawning.
That's cuz we're so special. lol You know how some languages have 100 words for "snow"? We could probably use 100 words for "sun". Every single day, bright sunshine and blue sky....boring!!

Rene
Old Apr 2nd 2006, 8:54 pm
Account Closed

That's cuz we're so special. lol You know how some languages have 100 words for "snow"? We could probably use 100 words for "sun". Every single day, bright sunshine and blue sky....boring!!

Rene
The Cow and I are from CO, sun shines more than it does in California.

Arizona may beat us. I would need evidence before I conceded.

I saw a cloud yesterday, and the locals said it rained, but I am not sure I would go that far.

Reminded of the Channel 9 Weather Forecast in the The Fast Show....
Old Apr 3rd 2006, 1:13 am
Voltes34

"Hypertweeky" <member13109@british_expats.com> wrote in message
news:[email protected] m...
    |
    | > Yes, I can. The incident happened in the presence of 19 other
    | > immigration attorneys and the attorney in quetstion is now a US
    | > Citizen and is still in practice. We all learn from either our
    | > mistakes or the ones of others. Even Immigration Attorneys learn that
    | > way. It is better that mistakes not happen, but that is the human
    | > condition.
    |
    | I want more details!!! peas:):)
    |

I think this is a situation where a Border Patrol or an Immigration Officer
had to lecture an Immigration attorney about the law where an LPR is
supposed to carry his I-551 card in his person at all times.
It must have been real embarrashing for that immigration attorney if a
waiver(I-193) was necessary to be filed for him to be allowed entry into the
US. Waivers cost $265.00 nowadays!

Old Apr 3rd 2006, 3:11 am
Account Closed

Folinskyinla is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Voltes34
I think this is a situation where a Border Patrol or an Immigration Officer
had to lecture an Immigration attorney about the law where an LPR is
supposed to carry his I-551 card in his person at all times.
It must have been real embarrashing for that immigration attorney if a
waiver(I-193) was necessary to be filed for him to be allowed entry into the
US. Waivers cost $265.00 nowadays!
Hi:

The fee was something like $25.00 back when this happened. Since this was a joint program of AILA SoCal Chapter and LA County Bar Association Immigration Section, the two chairpeople got off to rescue our colleague. Howard and I decided that humor was the only way to treat this -- we went in between LOL and ROFL and informed the [the] INS inspectors that she would be on a 2 hour flight with 19 other immigration lawyers back to LA and that 2 hours would be much worse than anything they could do. INS inspectors join Howard and I in LOL and let the three of us go to lunch with the Consular Officers.
Old Apr 3rd 2006, 3:24 am
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Minty
I was chatting with another expat last night and the subject of carrying greencards came up. I recently received mine (about 2 months ago) and the accompanying letter said that it should be carried at all times ... so I do!

My friend said that he never carries his greencardas he uses his drivers license if he needs ID. Also he said that Greencards are like gold dust and that if "people" know you are carrying one they might be tempted to take it.

As a new greencard holder, I was wondering if you always carry your greencard with you, and if not, why not?

Minty
Until I gained US citizenship, I always carried my original GC with me. That was for nearly four years. I also kept a photocopy of the card at home.
Old Apr 3rd 2006, 4:00 am
BE Forum Addict

frrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Minty
I was chatting with another expat last night and the subject of carrying greencards came up. I recently received mine (about 2 months ago) and the accompanying letter said that it should be carried at all times ... so I do!

My friend said that he never carries his greencardas he uses his drivers license if he needs ID. Also he said that Greencards are like gold dust and that if "people" know you are carrying one they might be tempted to take it.

As a new greencard holder, I was wondering if you always carry your greencard with you, and if not, why not?

Minty
I carried the original with me for 17 + years. Never lefffft home without it. Now USC, so no more Greencard. 6 months, still seems odd not having the card.
Reg. Frank R.
Old Apr 3rd 2006, 4:38 am
SUPER CRUNCHY BALCONY COW

Hypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TruBrit
hmm a metal band on the back...dunno is it quite a recent one...mine is just a bit of id info laminated with Resident Alien on the front....lol infact i've just applied to renew it as my 10yrs are up and so may get one with a bit of metal on the back...and yeah sunny and hot here just come in from the pool ...cheers
I don't know how the old version looks like but the one I saw was fancy
Why are you sadly in texas??
Old Apr 3rd 2006, 4:40 am

Hypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond repute

Rene
Colorado is the 5th sunniest state, 300 days of sun wooo!!!
Old Apr 3rd 2006, 3:33 pm
skg

I do not leave the confines of my house without it. Have been doing it
since I got my GC in October 2003. Simply because it is the law.
Regards,
S K Ghori [email protected] http://www.vex.net/~skg/

**NOTE**
I have lived in nine different countries. Dual Pakistani and Canadian
citizen, less than 4 months away from qualifying to apply for
US citizenship.

**DISCLAIMER**
I am neither a lawyer nor an immigration consultant. My comments
should NEVER be considered as legal or professional advice as they
are not meant to be such.

Old Apr 3rd 2006, 4:31 pm
hago

Now wait a minute!
My water bottle froze over night at the South Rim of GC one year in
April, so there. But maybe this only happens to out-of-State visitors?
<grin>

Hanne in London

Old Apr 3rd 2006, 5:53 pm
Former Floridian

katesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond repute

I carry mine with me at all times, as I seem to have the "Sod's Law" theory with me wherever I go. Back in my partying days, if I didn't have my ID with me, I'd ALWAYS be asked for it, and if I took it, the bouncer's at the clubs wouldn't bat an eye!

I did get a fright once, however. I needed to photocopy my GC, and I left it in our copier. I happened to look in that part of my purse a couple of days later, and realized it was missing. I had horrible visions of deportation because I thought I'd lost it!

Kate. xxx

Last edited by katesbackagain; Apr 3rd 2006 at 5:55 pm.
Old Apr 3rd 2006, 6:00 pm

Originally Posted by katesbackagain
I carry mine with me at all times, as I seem to have the "Sod's Law" theory with me wherever I go. Back in my partying days, if I didn't have my ID with me, I'd ALWAYS be asked for it, and if I took it, the bouncer's at the clubs wouldn't bat an eye!

I did get a fright once, however. I needed to photocopy my GC, and I left it in our copier. I happened to look in that part of my purse a couple of days later, and realized it was missing. I had horrible visions of deportation because I thought I'd lost it!

Kate. xxx
Hey you

I can't even buy gum to quit smoking for my husband when I go to walgreens, I get carded for everything, one time I got carded when attempting to buy an air can!!!
Old Apr 3rd 2006, 6:02 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by katesbackagain

Kate. xxx
Hi Kate,

That reminds me of an incident recently, where we had sent Sadegh's original green card and passport to the UK embassy in LA to get a visitor's visa. He was carrying a photocopy of the green card in his wallet. As it happened, lost his wallet during that time! We canceled the credit cards and got him a new State ID, no problem. The UK embassy returned his green card shortly after that, and within a couple of weeks, some kind soul even mailed Sadegh's wallet back to him, fully intact, money and everything!!

Rene

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.