Do you carry your greencard?

Old Apr 2nd 2006, 4:40 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Do you carry your greencard?

Originally Posted by nettlebed
Not wishing to be an argumentative son of a seacook, but why do you find it difficult? Whenever I leave the house I always take mine with me, unless I am just popping out to the car (on my property, and hence -- in theory -- protected by the 4th). Even if I am going to the mailbox (off my property) I always carry it.

Not producing it when required is (IIRC) a misdemeanor punishable by a $1000 fine, plus maybe some other penalty.

However, I also believe that only persons duly authorised by the USCIS are able to demand its production, not Roscoe P. Coltrane/Cletus, etc...
I am assuming up to $1,000 and as you say realistically most unlikely.

If you lose it however there is a definitive cost and hassle and delay.

I suppose I could put it on a chain around my neck, beyond that there are many circumstances I do not have my wallet with me, or do not want to have it with me.
Old Apr 2nd 2006, 5:31 pm
I'm back!

Just Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Minty
As a new greencard holder, I was wondering if you always carry your greencard with you, and if not, why not?
Mark carries his green card in his wallet, along with his VA drivers license, credit cards, etc. The green card is actually in a little pocket that closes with a snap, while everything else slides into those little card sleeves. The only time he doesn't take his wallet with him somewhere is if he's walking the dog -- and I doubt he'd need it then!

~ Jenney
Old Apr 2nd 2006, 5:34 pm
Account Closed

TruBrit is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Minty
I was chatting with another expat last night and the subject of carrying greencards came up. I recently received mine (about 2 months ago) and the accompanying letter said that it should be carried at all times ... so I do!

My friend said that he never carries his greencardas he uses his drivers license if he needs ID. Also he said that Greencards are like gold dust and that if "people" know you are carrying one they might be tempted to take it.

As a new greencard holder, I was wondering if you always carry your greencard with you, and if not, why not?

Minty
yeah the rules state that one should always carry their g/c however i don't ( for safety sake) and my drivers licence has always been sufficient
Old Apr 2nd 2006, 6:32 pm
SUPER CRUNCHY BALCONY COW

Hypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Folinskyinla
Hi:

The law REQUIRES you to carry the orginal. I recommend you make a photocopy to keep at home. You may want to apply for a "re-entry permit" via form I-131. It is green card in booklet form and its valid for two years [or expiry of condition].

One of these days, I might tell you the story of an IMMIGRATION ATTORNEY who was an LPR and carried a copy rather than the original. It is amusing, but shall we say that I personally observed a reason to carry the damn original?
You can't just say that his story is amusing and keep it to yourself!
Thanks.
Old Apr 2nd 2006, 6:37 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

I carry the original, haven't had to show it to anyone, but then it's unlikely to get knicked in this town, and also close enough to the border to have the odd border patrol knocking around, though they tend to be with the coast guard checking on the boats than on the roads, but better safe and all that.

only pulled my greencard out once for ID because I couldn't find my drivers license.
Account Closed

Folinskyinla is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Hypertweeky
Thanks.
Yes, I can. The incident happened in the presence of 19 other immigration attorneys and the attorney in quetstion is now a US Citizen and is still in practice. We all learn from either our mistakes or the ones of others. Even Immigration Attorneys learn that way. It is better that mistakes not happen, but that is the human condition.
Account Closed

Thanks.
He did post it somewhere else, from memory they were on a junket close to the border and their bus got pulled.

His colleague had to talk himself out of the situation.
Old Apr 2nd 2006, 6:46 pm

Hypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
I carry the original, haven't had to show it to anyone, but then it's unlikely to get knicked in this town, and also close enough to the border to have the odd border patrol knocking around, though they tend to be with the coast guard checking on the boats than on the roads, but better safe and all that.

only pulled my greencard out once for ID because I couldn't find my drivers license.
Hey it is nice to know people are not after your greencard!!
I am still waiting on mine, I work with a couple of guys who are foreigners and their green cards have a metal band on the back, does yours?
It is so sunny and hot I could go to the pool!!
Old Apr 2nd 2006, 6:47 pm

Originally Posted by Folinskyinla
Yes, I can. The incident happened in the presence of 19 other immigration attorneys and the attorney in quetstion is now a US Citizen and is still in practice. We all learn from either our mistakes or the ones of others. Even Immigration Attorneys learn that way. It is better that mistakes not happen, but that is the human condition.
I want more details!!! peas
Old Apr 2nd 2006, 6:48 pm

Originally Posted by Boiler
He did post it somewhere else, from memory they were on a junket close to the border and their bus got pulled.

His colleague had to talk himself out of the situation.
Mmm Still want more details!!!
Old Apr 2nd 2006, 6:51 pm
Account Closed

Hey it is nice to know people are not after your greencard!!
I am still waiting on mine, I work with a couple of guys who are foreigners and their green cards have a metal band on the back, does yours?
Yep

Looks like a fancy Credit Card.

Not that I have looked at it since I copied it.
Old Apr 2nd 2006, 6:53 pm

Originally Posted by Boiler
Yep

Looks like a fancy Credit Card.

Not that I have looked at it since I copied it.
Cool! I am looking forward to get mine! It has been a month and days since my interview, Those background checks take forever, don't they?

Ps: You look at it everyday..
Old Apr 2nd 2006, 7:01 pm
Account Closed

TruBrit is an unknown quantity at this point

hmm a metal band on the back...dunno is it quite a recent one...mine is just a bit of id info laminated with Resident Alien on the front....lol infact i've just applied to renew it as my 10yrs are up and so may get one with a bit of metal on the back...and yeah sunny and hot here just come in from the pool ...cheers
Old Apr 2nd 2006, 8:36 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

aye, naff and shiny, with all the different presidents and state flags along either end...some funky holograms though...and errr....wouldn't recommend using it to scrape the ice off your windscreen in winter either.
Old Apr 2nd 2006, 8:40 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
aye, naff and shiny, with all the different presidents and state flags along either end...some funky holograms though...and errr....wouldn't recommend using it to scrape the ice off your windscreen in winter either.
Ice? What's that? That's a foreign word to us Arizonans. Please speak English. LOL

Rene

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.