Do you carry your greencard?

Old Apr 14th 2006, 12:49 pm
Voltes34

Default Re: Do you carry your greencard?

"maris" <member3174@british_expats.com> wrote in message
news:[email protected] m...
    |
    | > OMG I wouldn't dream of carrying the original - only a photocopy!
    | >
    | > Yes, I know we're supposed to carry them, but the trouble resulting
    | > from losing it or having it stolen would be just too much.
    | >
    | > Have lived here nearly five years and have never been asked for it
    | > except at POE.
    |
    | I carried my greencard with me all the time UNTIL i lost it,, my purse
    | got stolen and my gc was in my wallet inside the purse, when i get the
    | replacement card, im not taking it anywhere unless it is absolutely
    | necessary! NO MORE! im just gonna make a copy of it or take a copy of
    | the welcome to the US letter.
    |
    | --
    | Posted via http://britishexpats.com

Lots of guys returning at the Southern Border thought they only needed a
drivers license and having the actual I-551 is not really necessary.
Obviously these people didn't know when a green card is necessary.
Do you know what happens in such cases?
I hope you do!

Old Apr 21st 2006, 6:37 am
Forum Regular

Minty will become famous soon enoughMinty will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by nettlebed
While not disagreeing with you, but wishing to play Devil's advocate, I suspect that in legal proceedings a statement of "I didn't have it on me because I was taking my normal morning Forrest, but it was in my wallet in the next room" is more likely to go down well than "Nah, I never carry it because I thought it would be a pain if I lost it".
I agree! I have my gc in my wallet along with the driving license. We actually have a border point just down the freeway (even though its still some 70 miles from the Mexican border) so I guess that might be the only time I would need it. I have never aactually seen any cars stopped but I guess there is an outside chance.

"Carry it at all times" does seem to me to mean whenever you leave the house. Whilst some have joked that this should also include places like the shower etc. I think any sensible interpretation would mean leaving the confines of your home.

From the posts, its still seems a 50:50 split between "yes I do" and "no I don't".

Has anyone changed their view/habits as a result of the discussion?

I wonder ........
Old Apr 21st 2006, 1:20 pm
British in Wisconsin

Jememennie is an unknown quantity at this point

I've always carried mine with me in my purse / wallet. Only ever shown it as ID when entering the USCIS and at the airport.
Old Apr 21st 2006, 2:46 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jememennie
I've always carried mine with me in my purse / wallet. Only ever shown it as ID when entering the USCIS and at the airport.

The ironic thing about the GC is that it is not a particularly useful form of ID. For example, you could not use a GC as the necessary form of ID when signing a notarized document here in Arizona since it lacks the necessary physical description requirement. When you consider how difficult it was to acquire the bloody thing compared with an accepted document (like a driving license), it's all really a little stoopid
Old Apr 21st 2006, 5:09 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by fatbrit
The ironic thing about the GC is that it is not a particularly useful form of ID. For example, you could not use a GC as the necessary form of ID when signing a notarized document here in Arizona since it lacks the necessary physical description requirement. When you consider how difficult it was to acquire the bloody thing compared with an accepted document (like a driving license), it's all really a little stoopid
I had it in my wallet, had a major wobbly when I could not find it, wallet had slipped down the side of the car seat, no longer in my wallet.
Old Apr 23rd 2006, 10:30 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fatbrit
no good for booze ID in the local grocery store, neither is a military ID, it's a drivers license only, and has to be a New England license, one from other states require manager approval *l*
Old Jun 1st 2006, 4:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

bionomique is a splendid one to beholdbionomique is a splendid one to beholdbionomique is a splendid one to beholdbionomique is a splendid one to beholdbionomique is a splendid one to beholdbionomique is a splendid one to beholdbionomique is a splendid one to beholdbionomique is a splendid one to beholdbionomique is a splendid one to beholdbionomique is a splendid one to beholdbionomique is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Matthew Udall
The follow up question is something I asked for clarification to make sure I was answering honestly for a client. You are a smart fellow and I’m sure you can look at the questions on the N-400 and figure out some follow up questions you might ask if you were helping someone fill it out or if you were a CIS officer.

Is this really a sincere question, or are you and Rita just having a little fun now?
I've read this entire thread, and I am just wondering if when an alien requests a replacement green card to be issued (let's say that it was lost, for example) naturally, USCIS *knows* that for a time, until a new card was in the alien's hands, he or she was obviously not able to carry it with them or have it in their possession "at all times". So under those circumstances, are you suggesting that at N400 review time, they should all note that they haven't always carried it, otherwise they are clearly ineligible for Naturalisation. And if they aren't honest about having been without the GC for at lesat a short amount of time, then isn't USCIS choosing not to enforce it's own regulation. I mean, if lying on the N-400 is reason to deny, and USCIS clearly has proof on hand for some of those cases, would it not be equally wrong for the USCIS folks not to deny them?
Old Jun 1st 2006, 6:31 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by bionomique
I've read this entire thread, and I am just wondering if when an alien requests a replacement green card to be issued (let's say that it was lost, for example) naturally, USCIS *knows* that for a time, until a new card was in the alien's hands, he or she was obviously not able to carry it with them or have it in their possession "at all times". So under those circumstances, are you suggesting that at N400 review time, they should all note that they haven't always carried it, otherwise they are clearly ineligible for Naturalisation. And if they aren't honest about having been without the GC for at lesat a short amount of time, then isn't USCIS choosing not to enforce it's own regulation. I mean, if lying on the N-400 is reason to deny, and USCIS clearly has proof on hand for some of those cases, would it not be equally wrong for the USCIS folks not to deny them?
Horribly logical.

On this basis anybody who has gone trough the CPR process is by definition subject to fine/imprisonment and not able to obtain Citizenship until at least 5 years have passed and they can show good morale behaviour.
Old Jun 1st 2006, 6:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

bionomique is a splendid one to beholdbionomique is a splendid one to beholdbionomique is a splendid one to beholdbionomique is a splendid one to beholdbionomique is a splendid one to beholdbionomique is a splendid one to beholdbionomique is a splendid one to beholdbionomique is a splendid one to beholdbionomique is a splendid one to beholdbionomique is a splendid one to beholdbionomique is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Boiler
Horribly logical.

On this basis anybody who has gone trough the CPR process is by definition subject to fine/imprisonment and not able to obtain Citizenship until at least 5 years have passed and they can show good morale behaviour.
Well, yes, it is horribly logical, but certainly if USCIS has not taken those who have been in this situation to task, it makes what Matt is suggesting more of a "tempest in a tea cup".
Old Jun 1st 2006, 7:02 pm
Account Closed

Folinskyinla is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by bionomique
The violation is in the "wilful" failure.
Old Jun 1st 2006, 7:04 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Folinskyinla
I tried one of those once. But never again!
Old Jun 1st 2006, 7:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Folinskyinla

Ok. But "willful" failure to disclose, or "willful" failure to have it on your person?