Do NOT have Sponsor for I-864

Old Jul 21st 2008, 12:43 am
Banned

Egyptien51182 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Do NOT have Sponsor for I-864

Hi All,

Please I need Help.

I applied for IV in Cairo Embassy cause I am married to an Egyptian American girl in Egypt, the I-130 was approved the problem is regarding finding Co/joint Sponsor to fill the I-864 & attache the Tax returns for the last 3 years, cause my wife doesnt have income in US and we dont have enough assets (21K)to meet the requirments.

In fact we don’t have any US Citizen or legal permanent resident or close friend residing in the US who would assist in submitting the affidavit of support for me. So please advice what to do if there is no sponsor

So what shall I do?

Thanks

Personal email deleted by Moderator

Last edited by Noorah101; Jul 21st 2008 at 1:11 am. Reason: Personal email deleted
Old Jul 21st 2008, 1:13 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Do NOT have Sponsor for I-864

Originally Posted by Egyptien51182
So what shall I do?
There is nothing you can do. The I-864 is a required document for your Immigrant Visa. If your wife does not qualify on income, and you do not have enough in joint assets, you will need a joint sponsor.

You must find a USC or PR living in the USA, over the age of 18, to be a joint sponsor.

What about your wife's family? She is a USC. Does she not have any family at all in the USA? No friends in the USA?

I'm sorry but those are your only options. Without a satisfactory I-864 from you wife or a joint sponsor, you are stuck.

Best Wishes,
Rene
Old Jul 21st 2008, 1:25 am
Banned

Angry Re: Do NOT have Sponsor for I-864

Thanks for your reply.
It's have been 2 years asking all the people know in USA to sponsor me but no ones could help, My wife was just born there so no relatives or family in US.
I showed 21K as assets but still co/joint sponsor is mandatory as the consular section at the Cairo embassy replied. So I am stuck.

- Is that possible to raise the assets to 50k so I could be self sponsor?

or

-what about applying for touristic visa for me then we could start the paper from there since we are both in Egypt and I am not able to find a sponsor?

It doesnt make send that I am stuck while I am married to American girl and people how applies for DV visa (Lottery) can immigrate without Sponsor it's ridiculous
Old Jul 21st 2008, 1:31 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

- Is that possible to raise the assets to 50k so I could be self sponsor?
Yes, if you can raise your assets to the required amount, you have a chance. Is it just you and your wife, or do you have children? Go to www.uscis.gov, Immigration Forms, I-864P, and look at the 125% column for your family size. Then multipy that number by 3. That is the amount you would need in assets.

-what about applying for touristic visa for me then we could start the paper from there since we are both in Egypt and I am not able to find a sponsor?
For one thing, it is illegal to enter the USA as a visitor with the intent to remain and adjust status, so that option is out. Besides, even if you did that, your wife still needs to complete an I-864 for your adjustment, so nothing will change regarding that requirement.

It doesnt make send that I am stuck while I am married to American girl and people how applies for DV visa (Lottery) can immigrate without Sponsor it's ridiculous
That's not true. I know Iranians who have won the DV lottery, and they STILL required a sponsor from the USA. The form was different, it was I-134, but it was still an Affidavit of Support, with the same requirements, and it was still the same problem....they needed a USC or PR in the USA to sponsor them. So it's not true that all DV lottery winners don't need a sponsor....it depends what country they come from.

Rene
Old Jul 21st 2008, 1:42 am

Here is a direct link to the poverty guidelines: http://www.uscis.gov/files/form/I-864P.pdf

You can see for a family of two (you and your wife), the 125% amount is $17,500. Multiply that by 3, and you get $52,500. You will need to show assets over $52,500 to be accepted on the I-864.

If you have a child or children, the amount goes up from there. A family of three needs $22,000 in income. Times 3 equals $66,000, so that's the amount you'd need in assets to qualify if you have 1 child.

Rene
Old Jul 21st 2008, 1:44 am
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

So what shall I do?
Wife comes over first and gets a job. Easy!
Old Jul 21st 2008, 4:55 am
Powder Maggot

AdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fatbrit
Wife comes over first and gets a job. Easy!
Agreed. She doesn't need to work very long - just long enough to show an annualized income IIRC.
Old Jul 21st 2008, 6:14 am
Banned

Thanks for your reply
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Just I want to explain what happened to me in my IV interview.

In the 1st beginning without saying Hi the consular officer asked someone on his side if someone checked the case, then he wrote check list with the remaining requirements
1-Joint Sponsor + Tax return
2-Proof of Domicile ( intend that the wife will establish a domicile)

1*- I have explained to the Consular Officer that we don’t have ANY US Citizen or legal permanent resident or close friend residing in the US who would assist in submitting the affidavit of support. The consular officer was then convinced that we are not able to find a joint sponsor and he had understood the situation.

2* Regarding the proof of domicile, he adadvisedo open a bank account to my wife in USA & transfer even $200.

In addition after I left the window the consular called me by mic to confirm: "Just let your wife opens a bank account in the US then we will issue the visa"

We trusted the consular officer words and we we applied for SSN, opened the a Bank account from Egypt that took 6 month to get done with it,t ratransferedhe money and sent the docs & evidence to the embassy then surprised by the reply still Joint/Co Sponsor +IVR is required.

I have then contacted the consular section by email explained all the above however they replied briefly " Joint Sponsor + IVR" so I asked to scheduel an appointment with the consul general or someone who has the authority to take a decision in the case still I receive a reply from the consular staff "joint sponsor +IVR".

I would like to hear your comments about what happened in the interview and if it was a mistreat from the officer.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

-I will try to show assets over $52,500 and will see if they will accept the form or not.
I hope that it could work but what if they asked to show the most recent tax return (IVR) for her? My wife doesn't have US tax returns cause she was only born in US and she lived & worked in Egypt.

-If I received a reply that still co/joint sponsor is mandatory so is there a way to find a USC who could offer to sponsor me against money? and how can I find them?

Your kind reply is appreciated

Thanks
BADR
Old Jul 21st 2008, 6:37 am

Hi Badr,

No, the officer did not mistreat you. Unfortunately some consulates like Egypt are very difficult to work with. You just have to do your best to give them whatever they ask for.

Your wife is a USC, and should be filing a US tax return every year. She should be reporting any income she earns, even if that income is from Egypt. So perhaps the first step is getting her to file 3 most recent years of tax returns. That will help a lot in showing her domicile in the USA.

Try to show assets in the correct amount, perhaps they will accept this.

If they still need a joint sponsor, you must find one. If you absolutely have NO ONE in the USA, then your wife should move to the USA first, ahead of you, and find a job here which pays the minimum required income, so she can sponsor you.

Best Wishes,
Rene
Old Jul 21st 2008, 11:40 pm

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

B,

If the consular officers words were as you quoted, and nothing more, then the consular officer made a mistake. All people do, once in a while. On the other hand, perhaps the consular officer was speaking specifically to your item #2 and was speaking on the basis of item #1 having been resolved.

In any case, neither the consular officer nor the consulate general nor anyone else in the Department of State has the authority to violate the law and issue a visa to you if you do not qualify for the visa.

Until your wife can meet the public charge provisions of the law, either on her own or with the assistance of a joint sponsor, and establishes domicile, you do not qualify.

Regards, JEff

Thanks for your reply
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

In addition after I left the window the consular called me by mic to confirm: "Just let your wife opens a bank account in the US then we will issue the visa"

We trusted the consular officer words and we we applied for SSN, opened the a Bank account from Egypt that took 6 month to get done with it,t ratransferedhe money and sent the docs & evidence to the embassy then surprised by the reply still Joint/Co Sponsor +IVR is required.

I have then contacted the consular section by email explained all the above however they replied briefly " Joint Sponsor + IVR" so I asked to scheduel an appointment with the consul general or someone who has the authority to take a decision in the case still I receive a reply from the consular staff "joint sponsor +IVR".

I would like to hear your comments about what happened in the interview and if it was a mistreat from the officer.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks
BADR
Old Jul 30th 2008, 6:45 pm
Banned

Thanks for your replies.

Dear Rene,

Since till this moment I am not able to find a co/joint sponsor, I am planning to raise our assets shown on the I-864 felt by my wife to be over $52,500.

My 1st question:
is it accepted to show evidence for assets under my wife's name & my name with the total over $52,500 or ONLY she should show this amount under her name.

My 2nd Question:
How can she fill the US tax return for the past three years in Egypt and simply how it is calculated.

Thanks

Rgds
BADR
Old Jul 30th 2008, 6:47 pm

is it accepted to show evidence for assets under my wife's name & my name with the total over $52,500 or ONLY she should show this amount under her name.
Since you are married, the assets can be in both names, as far as I know.

How can she fill the US tax return for the past three years in Egypt and simply how it is calculated.
I don't know if the US Embassy in Cairo has an IRS department there, as London does. Go to www.irs.gov, and have your wife read about how a USC should file a US tax return from overseas. I have no idea how tax is calculated, I don't do my own taxes.

Rene
Old Aug 1st 2008, 10:10 am
Account Closed

Folinskyinla is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Noorah101
Since you are married, the assets can be in both names, as far as I know.

I don't know if the US Embassy in Cairo has an IRS department there, as London does. Go to www.irs.gov, and have your wife read about how a USC should file a US tax return from overseas. I have no idea how tax is calculated, I don't do my own taxes.

Rene
Hi:

I believe that the IRS office for the Middle East is in Nicosia. There is one woman I know whose family made aliyah to Israel when she was a toddler. She finally obtained a US Passport when she in her late 20's in order to go to graduate school in the US. The letter from IRS followed a few weeks later. Although the PP was issued in Tel Aviv, the IRS letter was from Nicosia.

On calculation of the tax, there was an interesting issue -- her personal salary was way above the earned income exemption, but it was paid to the kibbutz which she grew up in and she personally pulled only the normal stipend. [In fact, the kibbutz paid for her schooling]. It turns out that if one can establish the actual existence of membership in the kibbutz, only the stipend had to be reported.
Old Aug 1st 2008, 11:39 pm
Banned

I have checked the IRS web site & I found out that " If you are a United States citizen or a resident alien who lives and works abroad, you may qualify to exclude all or part of your foreign salary or wages, or amounts received as compensation for personal services rendered from your income. If you are a United States citizen with a tax home in a foreign country and you meet the bona fide residence test or physical presence test, you may exclude up to the maximum limit allowed for the taxable year. Resident aliens of the United States with a tax home in a foreign country may be eligible for the exclusion if they meet the physical presence test" so it's seems that my wife is exempted from paying income tax.

I hope that raising the assets to be more then $52,500 will be enough to process the IV since I don't have a sponsor.
Old Aug 2nd 2008, 1:25 am

I have checked the IRS web site & I found out that " If you are a United States citizen or a resident alien who lives and works abroad, you may qualify to exclude all or part of your foreign salary or wages, or amounts received as compensation for personal services rendered from your income. If you are a United States citizen with a tax home in a foreign country and you meet the bona fide residence test or physical presence test, you may exclude up to the maximum limit allowed for the taxable year. Resident aliens of the United States with a tax home in a foreign country may be eligible for the exclusion if they meet the physical presence test" so it's seems that my wife is exempted from paying income tax.

I hope that raising the assets to be more then $52,500 will be enough to process the IV since I don't have a sponsor.
That is true, your wife is probably except from PAYING taxes. But is still supposed to FILE the income tax return and declare her earnings. Most likely she won't have to PAY anything, though. She still needs to prove to the embassy that she simply FILED her tax returns, not that she owes or has paid the US any money.

I hope so too. Just curious, how are you going to raise your assets? If you didn't have enough assets before, what have you done since then, did you acquire more property?

Rene

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.