Do i Qualify?

Old Feb 25th 2009, 11:24 am
Just Joined

jfd350 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Do i Qualify?

I want to immigrate permanetely to USA. Florida.

I am 22 years old, have 5 - 6 years accounting experience.
I have no criminal record, no wife, no kids.

I have been to college for a few years aswell, an have enough exams past etc to make me border line accountant.
I was however a Trainee Accountant for 3.5 yrs.

There are LOADS of jobs on monster.com for accounts jobs, that i easily meet the criteria....

However...am about to send off to the US Embassy of London my application.

Does any1 see any reason why they would reject me?
just a bit of nervs b4 sending off thats all
Old Feb 25th 2009, 11:34 am
BE Enthusiast

yorkieuk is a splendid one to beholdyorkieuk is a splendid one to beholdyorkieuk is a splendid one to beholdyorkieuk is a splendid one to beholdyorkieuk is a splendid one to beholdyorkieuk is a splendid one to beholdyorkieuk is a splendid one to beholdyorkieuk is a splendid one to beholdyorkieuk is a splendid one to beholdyorkieuk is a splendid one to beholdyorkieuk is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Do i Qualify?

Originally Posted by jfd350

What visa are you sending off for at the embassy?
Old Feb 25th 2009, 11:34 am
BE Enthusiast

AlanR has a reputation beyond reputeAlanR has a reputation beyond reputeAlanR has a reputation beyond reputeAlanR has a reputation beyond reputeAlanR has a reputation beyond reputeAlanR has a reputation beyond reputeAlanR has a reputation beyond reputeAlanR has a reputation beyond reputeAlanR has a reputation beyond reputeAlanR has a reputation beyond reputeAlanR has a reputation beyond repute

I want to immigrate permanetely to USA. Florida.

I am 22 years old, have 5 - 6 years accounting experience.
I have no criminal record, no wife, no kids.

I have been to college for a few years aswell, an have enough exams past etc to make me border line accountant.

There are LOADS of jobs on monster.com for accounts jobs, that i easily meet the criteria....

There's an important thread above -and below:
http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=585898
See if you qualify.You need a visa before you can get in 'permanently' - as a tourist, you can visit up to 90 days on the VWP.
It's tough - unemployment is high in the US and we're trying to protect our 'home base' -Obama has brought in laws to do this.
Best chance these days is probably family related - marry a US citizen... Or find a UK company with US links to transfer you across after you've spent the appropriate time (> 1year) with them.
I can't see what you're actually applying for in terms of a visa - you just don't 'send off an application to the Embassy'. A H1-B and L-x visa is applied for by your company. A marriage related visa may be started by a US spouse or fiance(e).
Read the link above and then come back with appropriate questions.
Old Feb 25th 2009, 11:49 am
Just Joined

I'm applying for an Employemnt based Visa.

From what i've gathered, you apply for the Visa 1st. Once you have the Visa (an the embassy are agreed that they think you can get a job)
you then go to the recruitment agencies to get the job.

Cuz they wont waste their time on you for you to be rejected of a visa otherwise.

The forms i think i should be filling in are:
DS-230
DS-2001
Old Feb 25th 2009, 11:55 am
BE Enthusiast

yorkieuk is a splendid one to beholdyorkieuk is a splendid one to beholdyorkieuk is a splendid one to beholdyorkieuk is a splendid one to beholdyorkieuk is a splendid one to beholdyorkieuk is a splendid one to beholdyorkieuk is a splendid one to beholdyorkieuk is a splendid one to beholdyorkieuk is a splendid one to beholdyorkieuk is a splendid one to beholdyorkieuk is a splendid one to behold

This is completely wrong, you can't just apply for a work visa through the embassy.

You need to find a job first and then get the employer to sponsor you.

Look at the links at the top of the page especially the one by Meauxna entitled:
REALLY, READ ME: Want to Live & Work in the US?

It can be found here:
http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=585898
Old Feb 25th 2009, 12:01 pm
Just Joined

But how would this work then?

lets say i apply for a job, employer likes me.
1. How do i get there for an interview?
2. What if they want to employ me, but it could take months before my visa is put through?
Employers surely arnt gonna employ someone who cant start employemtn for months?
Old Feb 25th 2009, 12:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

lisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond repute

2. What if they want to employ me, but it could take months before my visa is put through?
Employers surely arnt gonna employ someone who cant start employemtn for months?
2. exactly, which is why it's so hard to get into the US these days on an employment visa. As stated there are plenty of unemployed USCs looking for jobs.
Old Feb 25th 2009, 12:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

pejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond repute

I'm applying for an Employemnt based Visa.

From what i've gathered, you apply for the Visa 1st. Once you have the Visa (an the embassy are agreed that they think you can get a job)
you then go to the recruitment agencies to get the job.

Cuz they wont waste their time on you for you to be rejected of a visa otherwise.

The forms i think i should be filling in are:
DS-230
DS-2001
The DS-230 is just the form that you fill in along with other paperwork when you have a visa that has already been approved. e.g. my company did all the paperwork for my L1B visa, we got the approval notice and i then had to fill in this form and take it along with the other paperwork with me when i went to the embassy for my interview. You cant just apply for a visa unless I'm much mistaken.
Old Feb 25th 2009, 12:20 pm
Just Joined

i'm confused.

Why would any employer overseas employ sum1....
who might not even get a visa...?

There not gonna say...the jobs urs...pending on visa acceptance, an if so, we'll see you in a few months?
Old Feb 25th 2009, 12:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

pejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond repute

yeah, thats why its so hard. If you found a company that wanted to hire you they'd have to file for an H1B visa. They can only apply on the 1st April each year for a 1st Oct start date, and the visa is kept to a limited number and is very oversubscribed so you'd have to be extremely lucky to get one even if the company did want to go to all the expense and paperwork of hiring you. One other thing...the H1B visa requires a degree. If you've got 5 years experience at the age of 22 then I'm presuming you didnt go to uni so straight away you wouldnt be eligible.

I live in NYC and literally every other English person that I know (around 6-7 guys around my age, 26) came over on an L1B visa which is a company transfer visa. You need to have been working for the company for at least a year before you move...but you dont need a degree ( i dont have one and neither do any of the guys I know).
The company just needs to show that you have a skill that is vital to the company, if they have a good immigration lawyer i dont think its that hard to prove. Thats probably your best best..try and find a job with a company that has offices in the UK and US, stay there for a year, and then try and move over.
Old Feb 25th 2009, 12:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

i'm confused.

There not gonna say...the jobs urs...pending on visa acceptance, an if so, we'll see you in a few months?
well they would if they were a highly skilled person who could be of vital importance to the company. My firm once hired a guy that couldnt start for 6 months because of a clause in his contract with the last employer, thats why its so difficult.
Old Feb 25th 2009, 12:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

lisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond repute

i'm confused.

The employer applies and pays for a visa for you...not YOU. Therefore you have to be exceptional in your field of work to make your employer want to spend the thousands of $s it takes to get a visa
Old Feb 25th 2009, 12:53 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

i'm confused.
I don't think so... you're beginning to understand just how difficult it is to get an H-1B visa to the US.

Why indeed! That's what makes it so difficult.

Exactly right. For an H-1B visa, you need to be outstanding in your area of expertise - if you are, the company will wait for you, if not... game over.

Ian
Old Feb 25th 2009, 1:36 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Duncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond repute

I'm going to take a stab in the dark and say you have no hope. And as for the jobs on Monster, it's very unlikely that you are qualified for many of them. It's unlikely that they would hire somebody who isn't a CPA and seeing as you are not even a qualified accountant in the UK I'm taking another stab in the dark that you aren't a CPA.

Getting a visa to work in the US is hard and you need to offer things that other people don't. It's completely different compared to you applying for a job in the UK. Oh, and if they want to interview you it would likely be over the phone and then in person. If you are 'the special one' then they will fly you. If not, you fly yourself.
Old Feb 25th 2009, 1:41 pm
now I know my J,C,B's

Paul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
Exactly right. For an H-1B visa, you need to be outstanding in your area of expertise - if you are, the company will wait for you, if not... game over.
exactly, took just under a year from first contact, to actually get the H1-B visa and get me out here. My employer was prepared to wait

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.