Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Do I need a copy of my H1b visa to apply for a greencard?

Do I need a copy of my H1b visa to apply for a greencard?

Old Sep 28th 2012, 5:06 pm
Dallas

Meryl is a glorious beacon of lightMeryl is a glorious beacon of lightMeryl is a glorious beacon of lightMeryl is a glorious beacon of lightMeryl is a glorious beacon of lightMeryl is a glorious beacon of lightMeryl is a glorious beacon of lightMeryl is a glorious beacon of lightMeryl is a glorious beacon of lightMeryl is a glorious beacon of lightMeryl is a glorious beacon of light
Default Do I need a copy of my H1b visa to apply for a greencard?

The reason I ask is that my employer has started the process, but a couple of years ago my apartment was burgled and my passport with my visa in it was stolen. I have since replaced the passport and I have a current I94, I really can't afford a trip to London to replace my visa!
Old Sep 28th 2012, 6:15 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Do I need a copy of my H1b visa to apply for a greencard?

Originally Posted by Meryl
The reason I ask is that my employer has started the process, but a couple of years ago my apartment was burgled and my passport with my visa in it was stolen. I have since replaced the passport and I have a current I94, I really can't afford a trip to London to replace my visa!
I'm going to hazard a guess and say "yes". If you yourself don't have a photocopy of it, perhaps the lawyers do?

Rene
Old Sep 28th 2012, 7:24 pm
Forum Regular

leadinglight is a name known to allleadinglight is a name known to allleadinglight is a name known to allleadinglight is a name known to allleadinglight is a name known to allleadinglight is a name known to allleadinglight is a name known to allleadinglight is a name known to allleadinglight is a name known to allleadinglight is a name known to allleadinglight is a name known to all

I am going to say a FIRM yes! It states in the application forms that you have to provide details of previous visas.

Whilst you may have lost your old passport, whoever is/was your H1B sponsor will have details of the visa as they will have sponsored you. Also you social secuity number etc will be required. As for I-94's, they can only expect you most recent I-94 as the old ones are handed in at the airport when you exit the US (normally!)
Old Sep 28th 2012, 7:53 pm
Dallas

Meryl is a glorious beacon of lightMeryl is a glorious beacon of lightMeryl is a glorious beacon of lightMeryl is a glorious beacon of lightMeryl is a glorious beacon of lightMeryl is a glorious beacon of lightMeryl is a glorious beacon of lightMeryl is a glorious beacon of lightMeryl is a glorious beacon of lightMeryl is a glorious beacon of lightMeryl is a glorious beacon of light

Thanks for the info, so am I right in thinking that if my employer or the attorney has a copy of my visa I can avoid a trip to London?
Old Sep 28th 2012, 7:55 pm
Forum Regular

leadinglight is a name known to allleadinglight is a name known to allleadinglight is a name known to allleadinglight is a name known to allleadinglight is a name known to allleadinglight is a name known to allleadinglight is a name known to allleadinglight is a name known to allleadinglight is a name known to allleadinglight is a name known to allleadinglight is a name known to all

Well from my time working in a corporate environment, companies are required to keep 6 years of documentation in one form or another so I am guessing they have photocopied something or at the very least received a notice with your visa number on it!
Old Sep 28th 2012, 8:19 pm
Dallas

I'm crossing my fingers!
Old Sep 28th 2012, 9:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

lisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond repute

I'm crossing my fingers!
Will your company be using the same attorneys as they did for your visa? If so then you should be fine
Old Sep 28th 2012, 10:13 pm
Dallas

Originally Posted by lisa67
Will your company be using the same attorneys as they did for your visa? If so then you should be fine
yes, this makes me happy!
Old Sep 28th 2012, 11:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

lisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond repute

yes, this makes me happy!
Excellent. Make sure they give you a copy of it and that you get copies of everything that's filed for your GC.
Old Sep 28th 2012, 11:59 pm
Dallas

Originally Posted by lisa67
Excellent. Make sure they give you a copy of it and that you get copies of everything that's filed for your GC.
don't worry I intend to!
Old Sep 29th 2012, 12:06 am
BE Irregular

RICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond repute

Just for my curiosity, don't you need the visa in passport to re-enter US? If you have a current I94 (does that mean I94W stapled in?) did you have a trip on the new passport without the visa?
Old Sep 29th 2012, 1:31 am
Dallas

Originally Posted by RICH
Just for my curiosity, don't you need the visa in passport to re-enter US? If you have a current I94 (does that mean I94W stapled in?) did you have a trip on the new passport without the visa?
I've never left, my H1b was extended for another three years and I picked up my new I94 from the attorney; now if I wanted to travel abroad I'd have to replace my visa before I re entered the USA.