Divorce and I-864 responsibility

Old Jun 22nd 2002, 1:20 pm
Ken

Default Divorce and I-864 responsibility

I'm looking for anyone with knowledge of the I-864 law and related financial
responsibility of the sponsor. My marriage ended in divorce following the receipt of
the Permanent Resident card. I understand the law regarding the I-864, but I have
been told the INS does not enforce the law. My primary concern is a major health
problem and a related costs. I know she would receive medical treatment, but being a
Permanent Resident a government agency would probably cover the cost and not the
hospital. I'm assuming I would be contacted in time to cover the total cost plus
interest. I live on a disability pension and do not have the funds to pay for a large
hospital bill. I'm looking for anyone with information or anyone facing the same
problem. Thanks in advance.

Old Jun 22nd 2002, 1:20 pm
Ken

Default Re: Divorce and I-864 responsibility

Pension: My pension is from the State of California. (PERS) I'm assuming it can be
attached by most government agency's and is not protected. I will be contacting the
retirement board, but any information is appreciated.

Ken wrote:

> I'm looking for anyone with knowledge of the I-864 law and related financial
    > responsibility of the sponsor. My marriage ended in divorce following the receipt
    > of the Permanent Resident card. I understand the law regarding the I-864, but I
    > have been told the INS does not enforce the law. My primary concern is a major
    > health problem and a related costs. I know she would receive medical treatment, but
    > being a Permanent Resident a government agency would probably cover the cost and
    > not the hospital. I'm assuming I would be contacted in time to cover the total cost
    > plus interest. I live on a disability pension and do not have the funds to pay for
    > a large hospital bill. I'm looking for anyone with information or anyone facing the
    > same problem. Thanks in advance.