Wikiposts

divorce

Old Jun 25th 2004, 3:45 pm
Roy

Default divorce

I need some advice on divorcing a woman that came here on a K-1 Visa.
She has conditional residency. Are there any newsgroup sites where I
can discuss this?

Old Jun 25th 2004, 4:09 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: divorce

Originally posted by Roy
I need some advice on divorcing a woman that came here on a K-1 Visa. She has conditional residency. Are there any news group sites where I can discuss this?
try http://www.visajourney.com/
alt.visa.us.marriage-based

But remember the I-864 you signed
Old Jun 25th 2004, 5:46 pm
crg
American Expat

crg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Roy
I need some advice on divorcing a woman that came here on a K-1 Visa.
She has conditional residency. Are there any newsgroup sites where I
can discuss this?
Be careful. One way she can get the conditions removed is by accusing you of beating her up. If she catches wind that you are cutting her loose, she may attempt to get you in trouble with the police.

What is your goal? Do you want her to get a full green card before you divorce, or do you want to get her out of the US? Do you feel that she only married you for the green card?
Old Jun 26th 2004, 12:42 pm
Roy

crg14624 <member20421@british_expats.com> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > Originally posted by Roy
    > > I need some advice on
    > divorcing a woman that came here on a K-1 Visa.
    > > She has conditional
    > residency. Are there any newsgroup sites where I
    > > can discuss this?
    >
    >
    > Be careful. One way she can get the conditions removed is by
    > accusing you of beating her up. If she catches wind that you are
    > cutting her loose, she may attempt to get you in trouble with the
    > police.
    >
    > What is your goal? Do you want her to get a full green card
    > before you divorce, or do you want to get her out of the US? Do you
    > feel that she only married you for the green card?

The only goal that I have is to have a clean break from her. What
would be the best way to do it. She went back to Russia for a stay
with her family. She has a conditional green card. Is there a way to
stop her from returning? Can I notify the INS that I would like the
case stopped for removing the conditions? And yes, she did marry to
come to the United States. I was completely taken in. I know that she
has posted many messages on Russian Women Abroad web sites to find out
how she can take advantage of her position. Any ideas?

Old Jun 26th 2004, 6:26 pm
crg
American Expat

crg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Roy
crg14624 <member20421@british_expats.com> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > > I need some advice on
    > divorcing a woman that came here on a K-1 Visa.
    > > She has conditional
    > residency. Are there any newsgroup sites where I
    > > can discuss this?
    >
    >
    > Be careful. One way she can get the conditions removed is by
    > accusing you of beating her up. If she catches wind that you are
    > cutting her loose, she may attempt to get you in trouble with the
    > police.
    >
    > What is your goal? Do you want her to get a full green card
    > before you divorce, or do you want to get her out of the US? Do you
    > feel that she only married you for the green card?

The only goal that I have is to have a clean break from her. What
would be the best way to do it. She went back to Russia for a stay
with her family. She has a conditional green card. Is there a way to
stop her from returning? Can I notify the INS that I would like the
case stopped for removing the conditions? And yes, she did marry to
come to the United States. I was completely taken in. I know that she
has posted many messages on Russian Women Abroad web sites to find out
how she can take advantage of her position. Any ideas?
Has the I-751 been filed yet? When is the two years up? If you didn't file the I-751 then she could get stuck outside the country when her conditional card expires. You could just go to the interview and tell the adjudicator that she duped you, and it's not a real marriage. They could deny the application to remove conditions. Be carefull though. Even if you divorce her, she can allege that you beat her up and have you arrested in order to get the conditions removed as a battered spouse. You may want to take out an order of protection to keep her away from you. That was when she comes for the "confrontation" you can immedietly call the police and have her arrested.
Old Jun 27th 2004, 2:05 pm
Roy

> > crg14624
    > <member20421@british_expats.com> wrote in message
    > news:<[email protected]>...
    > > > Originally posted
    > by Roy
    > > > > I need some advice on
    > > > divorcing a
    > woman that came here on a K-1 Visa.
    > > > > She has
    > conditional
    > > > residency. Are there any newsgroup sites where
    > I
    > > > > can discuss this?
    > > >
    > > >
    > >
    > > Be careful. One way she can get the conditions removed is by
    >
    > > > accusing you of beating her up. If she catches wind that you
    > are
    > > > cutting her loose, she may attempt to get you in
    > trouble with the
    > > > police.
    > > >
    > > > What is
    > your goal? Do you want her to get a full green card
    > > > before
    > you divorce, or do you want to get her out of the US? Do you
    > >
    > > feel that she only married you for the green card?
    > >
    > > The
    > only goal that I have is to have a clean break from her. What
    > > would be
    > the best way to do it. She went back to Russia for a stay
    > > with her
    > family. She has a conditional green card. Is there a way to
    > > stop her
    > from returning? Can I notify the INS that I would like the
    > > case
    > stopped for removing the conditions? And yes, she did marry to
    > > come to
    > the United States. I was completely taken in. I know that she
    > > has
    > posted many messages on Russian Women Abroad web sites to find out
    > > how
    > she can take advantage of her position. Any ideas?
    >
    > Has the
    > I-751 been filed yet? When is the two years up? If you didn't file the
    > I-751 then she could get stuck outside the country when her conditional
    > card expires. You could just go to the interview and tell the
    > adjudicator that she duped you, and it's not a real marriage. They
    > could deny the application to remove conditions. Be carefull though.
    > Even if you divorce her, she can allege that you beat her up and have
    > you arrested in order to get the conditions removed as a battered
    > spouse. You may want to take out an order of protection to keep her
    > away from you. That was when she comes for the "confrontation" you can
    > immedietly call the police and have her arrested.

The I-751 has not been filed. Thanks for the information. The abused
spouse syndrome seems to be the most abused law in a America.
Thanks for the warning about false abuse charges. The protection order
sounds like a good idea. Thank you for your help.

Old Jun 27th 2004, 3:38 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by crg14624
Has the I-751 been filed yet? When is the two years up? If you didn't file the I-751 then she could get stuck outside the country when her conditional card expires. You could just go to the interview and tell the adjudicator that she duped you, and it's not a real marriage. They could deny the application to remove conditions. Be carefull though. Even if you divorce her, she can allege that you beat her up and have you arrested in order to get the conditions removed as a battered spouse. You may want to take out an order of protection to keep her away from you. That was when she comes for the "confrontation" you can immedietly call the police and have her arrested.
Of course it could be the other way around..and she is just trying to get away from you ...
Old Jun 27th 2004, 5:52 pm
Howling at the Moon

lairdside will become famous soon enoughlairdside will become famous soon enough

Surely if they divorce she can apply for a waiver of the joint filing requirement without invoking VAWA?

Also, technically, isn't it possible to file the I-751 from outside of the US (thus obtaining the 1 year extension). I believe that this is a "grey"area but theoretically feasible (comes with an advisement to get an immigration attorney )
Old Jun 27th 2004, 6:00 pm
Howling at the Moon

lairdside will become famous soon enoughlairdside will become famous soon enough

Originally posted by ray6
Of course it could be the other way around..and she is just trying to get away from you ...
Could be Ray. Perhaps she married with honest intentions and having found that the marriage has gone sour is now trying to find a way to remain in the US despite regrettably the way that things have turned out - she has made a new life and is settled here after leaving her country of origin and her life there behind.

It's too easy for a spouse claiming that they were duped to come under suspicion of "sour grapes" - lots of those about at divorce time. I would hope that more than this would be required to deny an adjustment, especially if prior to things going pear shaped the marriage had appeared to be a valid union of honest intent by the immigrant party.

Of course, if this is not the case. It may or may not be so.
Old Jun 27th 2004, 11:13 pm
crg
American Expat

Originally posted by lairdside
Could be Ray. Perhaps she married with honest intentions and having found that the marriage has gone sour is now trying to find a way to remain in the US despite regrettably the way that things have turned out - she has made a new life and is settled here after leaving her country of origin and her life there behind.

It's too easy for a spouse claiming that they were duped to come under suspicion of "sour grapes" - lots of those about at divorce time. I would hope that more than this would be required to deny an adjustment, especially if prior to things going pear shaped the marriage had appeared to be a valid union of honest intent by the immigrant party.

Of course, if this is not the case. It may or may not be so.
I find it hard to believe that she couldn't find love out of the 200+ million people in Russia. Mail-order brides almost always have ulterior motives and are seeking economic benefits.
Old Jun 28th 2004, 1:03 am
Howling at the Moon

I find it hard to believe that she couldn't find love out of the 200+ million people in Russia. Mail-order brides almost always have ulterior motives and are seeking economic benefits.
This may well be the case, for the record I know personally of a couple of Russian/ American marriages where it is not.

Many people marry with motives other than just romantic attachment. There is a difference legally I believe though between a green card being someone's only motivating factor - and it being one of several factors others of which may be/have been of honest intent at the time to marry.

I'm not making any moral judgements either way mind and am certainly not condoning the actions of those who marry simply or even primarily for financial gain or for immigration benefit.
Old Jun 28th 2004, 3:02 am
Forum Regular

Overthere is an unknown quantity at this point

If you considered her a "mail order bride" why did you marry her in the first place? I also find it hard to believe then, that you had to go to Russia to find someone to marry you. Perhaps you should think about why you had to do that?!
Old Jun 28th 2004, 9:25 am
crg
American Expat

Originally posted by Overthere
If you considered her a "mail order bride" why did you marry her in the first place? I also find it hard to believe then, that you had to go to Russia to find someone to marry you. Perhaps you should think about why you had to do that?!
I mentioned mailorder brides. I didn't marry the alien. It was the other guy. I don't know what their motivation was. As far as I know, he could have lived in Russia too.
Old Jun 28th 2004, 11:29 am
BE Enthusiast

supernav will become famous soon enoughsupernav will become famous soon enough

Here's a quick way to see if you she loves YOU or your PASSPORT:

During the courtship, mention living in Russia with her

or

Mention, actually you only have a green card.

If the conversation immediately changes for the worse, or 30 seconds of silence pass or she turns on you....

Run.

Unless the booty will be so great for 2 years, that you don't mind being used like a loser doormat.

-= nav =-
Old Jun 28th 2004, 11:55 am

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Most people who seek mail-order brides have ulterior motives. They are usually seeking a woman who will do the sex, cooking and cleaning without those annoying ideas of equality between the sexes. They are people who have not been able to establish a relationship the usual way, and want somebody who will be in a dependent, subservient relationship with them. Sometimes, they discover that the plan backfires.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.