Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Diversity lottery- using parents nationality

Diversity lottery- using parents nationality

Old Nov 8th 2007, 9:59 pm
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Diversity lottery- using parents nationality

Originally Posted by fatbrit
Think the OP meant "very soon after my birth". Wouldn't want a newborn going to hell, would we?
No, it's limbo for babies.... or so I have been told.

I've got my kids' Episcopal (Anglican) baptismal certs.... I'm glad they keep records. My own Baptist (baptism) didn't merit a certificate, merely a mention in the weekly newsletter.
Old Nov 9th 2007, 7:58 am
Just Joined

new start is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by snowbunny
No, it's limbo for babies.... or so I have been told.

I've got my kids' Episcopal (Anglican) baptismal certs.... I'm glad they keep records. My own Baptist (baptism) didn't merit a certificate, merely a mention in the weekly newsletter.
Oops sorry for the confusion re 'virtually' - I meant I was baptised very soon after birth, to keep me safe for my journey!
Think my baptism certs are still in my parents attic, can't remember them having an address on them, I know that there are 2 and the priest made mistakes on both of them!!
Oh for an easy life LOL
I am still gonna apply and see if my number comes up anyway
Old Nov 9th 2007, 6:15 pm
Account Closed

Folinskyinla is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by new start
Dad lived in such a rural area of Ireland a licence wasn't needed , he got his licence in the UK, so did Mum as she didnt drive until late 70's.
Dad first started coming to England at 15, he may have paid tax in Ireland as I am sure he said he will get an Irish pension when he moves back there- I must ask him.
Mum was barely 18 when she came to England, so had only worked in a little shop up til then and didn't work when she went back to Ireland.

My grandparents died over 20 years ago and most of my parents generation moved away to find work, the little garda barracks is long gone and the priest has changed many times.

They couldn't have made it more difficult for me if they had tried
Hi:

Yes, it may be difficult to prove things -- but rack your brains and those of relatives and friends, etc etc. You might be surprised what might come up. During the 1987-88 Legalization in the US, the applicants had to prove physical presence in the US from before January 1, 1982. By definition, the applicants had been in "unlawful" status since before that date. Of course, I gave suggestions, but it was amazing what people came up with once they put their mind to it.

BTW, I think a lot of this stuff may be eased by the existence of the Internet.
Old Nov 9th 2007, 6:18 pm
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

Oops sorry for the confusion re 'virtually' - I meant I was baptised very soon after birth, to keep me safe for my journey!
Think my baptism certs are still in my parents attic, can't remember them having an address on them, I know that there are 2 and the priest made mistakes on both of them!!
Oh for an easy life LOL
I am still gonna apply and see if my number comes up anyway
The church with whom the priest was associated would have a copy. Any idea which church?

You got baptised TWICE?

What about phone directories in Ireland? Street/business directories? Did your father have a trade?

Get involved in Irish genealogy my son.
Old Nov 9th 2007, 8:29 pm
Just Joined

The church with whom the priest was associated would have a copy. Any idea which church?

You got baptised TWICE?

What about phone directories in Ireland? Street/business directories? Did your father have a trade?

Get involved in Irish genealogy my son.
No I was only baptised once- have 2 certs, think my Mum had problems finding the original for my First Holy Communion or confirmation so we had to go get a copy. I would say the church had the address of my Mums rented accommodation to 'prove' we were in that parish to allow the baptism, even my kids had to be baptised in the parish we live in, I just know that will be a dead end.

Street / business directories - I don't think you realise just how rural some parts of Ireland was, there was no phone, or running water for that matter, drinking water came from the well and other water was rain water channelled from the roof into a butt- it was like that until after my grandparents died in the 80's. There are no street names in the depth of the country, even today! Several farms will have the same address, the postman knows families by name but we are talking about the first few months of my life and I am 40!Also as we used to have extended stays in Ireland up until my Grandparents death I doubt if anyone in authority would be able to differentiate that period from vacations when we used to be there for weeks at a time.
Old Nov 9th 2007, 8:37 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Folinskyinla
Hi:

Yes, it may be difficult to prove things -- but rack your brains and those of relatives and friends, etc etc. You might be surprised what might come up. During the 1987-88 Legalization in the US, the applicants had to prove physical presence in the US from before January 1, 1982. By definition, the applicants had been in "unlawful" status since before that date. Of course, I gave suggestions, but it was amazing what people came up with once they put their mind to it.

BTW, I think a lot of this stuff may be eased by the existence of the Internet.
How is it checked out normally when it was such a long time ago?
Old Nov 9th 2007, 8:38 pm
Lapine Member

Also as we used to have extended stays in Ireland up until my Grandparents death I doubt if anyone in authority would be able to differentiate that period from vacations when we used to be there for weeks at a time.
Does your father have any siblings/cousins/nieces/nephews who might remember his address?
Old Nov 9th 2007, 8:41 pm
Just Joined

Does your father have any siblings/cousins/nieces/nephews who might remember his address?
Yes fortunately my dad was from a huge family, he still has 7 siblings!!! I would not have thought they would be allow to confirm something like this.
Old Nov 9th 2007, 9:48 pm
Account Closed

Yes fortunately my dad was from a huge family, he still has 7 siblings!!! I would not have thought they would be allow to confirm something like this.
Hi:

Why not? Especially if they have information. So you have cousins, no?

Let me share a story. I had a case back in 1991/2 with a Canadian client. In my normal intake I ascertained that his paternal grandfather had been born in rural North Dakota in 1870. If memory serves me correct, North Dakota did not start recording births until 1876.

This little fact made my client the son of a US Citizen despite the fact that Dad had never ever lived in the US. [BTW, no I-864 requirement until 1997 -- so no comments, please].

Of course, we had no documentation whatsoever from over 100 years previous and nobody was alive to give testimony.

How did we establish grandpa's date and place of birth. Well, Grandpa and Grandma had been married in 1896 in Mandt, North Dakota. The handwritten record in the State Archives noted groom was age 26 and born in North Dakota. His son's [client's father] Canadian birth certificate [born 1918] also noted grandpa born in North Dakota. The son's [client's father] Canadian birth certificate contained place of birth for father of groom -- United States. The only thing INS asked for in addition was birth certificates of my client's uncles to show several other documents from Canada reciting Dad's place of birth. Provided those and case approved.

The idea is that these documents executed in 1896, 1908, 1912, 1914, 1918 and 1946 had nothing to do with immigration of a descendant in 1991!

We had no direct proof that Grandpa had been born in 1870 in North Dakota, but we were able to establish it.

Good luck.
Old Nov 9th 2007, 10:40 pm
Just Joined

Hi:

Why not? Especially if they have information. So you have cousins, no?

Let me share a story. I had a case back in 1991/2 with a Canadian client. In my normal intake I ascertained that his paternal grandfather had been born in rural North Dakota in 1870. If memory serves me correct, North Dakota did not start recording births until 1876.

This little fact made my client the son of a US Citizen despite the fact that Dad had never ever lived in the US. [BTW, no I-864 requirement until 1997 -- so no comments, please].

Of course, we had no documentation whatsoever from over 100 years previous and nobody was alive to give testimony.

How did we establish grandpa's date and place of birth. Well, Grandpa and Grandma had been married in 1896 in Mandt, North Dakota. The handwritten record in the State Archives noted groom was age 26 and born in North Dakota. His son's [client's father] Canadian birth certificate [born 1918] also noted grandpa born in North Dakota. The son's [client's father] Canadian birth certificate contained place of birth for father of groom -- United States. The only thing INS asked for in addition was birth certificates of my client's uncles to show several other documents from Canada reciting Dad's place of birth. Provided those and case approved.

The idea is that these documents executed in 1896, 1908, 1912, 1914, 1918 and 1946 had nothing to do with immigration of a descendant in 1991!

We had no direct proof that Grandpa had been born in 1870 in North Dakota, but we were able to establish it.

Good luck.
I was obviously trying to think of authoritarian figures who could confirm our status. I have plenty cousins LOL but they are mostly younger than me.
Basically my dads siblings span a 20 year age gap, my Dad being one of the eldest. My Grandad used to come over to England to subsidise the farm and my Dad travelled with him from age 15, all the older boys did the same so their final leaving date is probably very hazy even on official documents. His youngest siblings all still live fairly near the homestead now so still have strong links with people their age but a lot of my Dads age group left. Dad still has friends who like him flitted backward and forward but because none of them belong to professional bodies I didn't think they could count. I was thinking along the lines that for example it would only be people who can sign passports for instance that would be able to confirm this. Being a nurse I know how often my golden' signature' is called upon!
Old Nov 9th 2007, 10:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

Britinsac has much to be proud ofBritinsac has much to be proud ofBritinsac has much to be proud ofBritinsac has much to be proud ofBritinsac has much to be proud ofBritinsac has much to be proud ofBritinsac has much to be proud ofBritinsac has much to be proud ofBritinsac has much to be proud ofBritinsac has much to be proud ofBritinsac has much to be proud of
Smile Re: Diversity lottery- using parents nationality

One thing to keep in mind too is that it is a lottery.... and millions apply every year from all over the world so your chances of being pulled out of the hat are slim. I would hate to think you were putting all your hopes on this. As a nurse are you not able to seek employment through an agency in the US? I have met many foreign nurses - from Philippines..Uk etc who have applied and came here on a visa. It's easier to get a greencard once you have been working here and have paid taxes and become a responsible member of the community (dependent on the type of visa of course! So trying another avenue as well as the lottery might be a good thing for you to do!
Good luck with it!
Old Nov 9th 2007, 11:04 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Britinsac
One thing to keep in mind too is that it is a lottery.... and millions apply every year from all over the world so your chances of being pulled out of the hat are slim. I would hate to think you were putting all your hopes on this. As a nurse are you not able to seek employment through an agency in the US? I have met many foreign nurses - from Philippines..Uk etc who have applied and came here on a visa. It's easier to get a greencard once you have been working here and have paid taxes and become a responsible member of the community (dependent on the type of visa of course! So trying another avenue as well as the lottery might be a good thing for you to do!
Good luck with it!
Yes I know it is a lottery but if I don't enter I will never know. I didn't enter last year because I started the nursing route and haven't even got onto the second rung of the ladder in almost a year- haven't even got to the stage yet where retrogression kicks in, so I am disheartened with the whole process, especially as I have a job lined up.
Old Nov 9th 2007, 11:58 pm
Account Closed

I was obviously trying to think of authoritarian figures who could confirm our status. I have plenty cousins LOL but they are mostly younger than me.
Basically my dads siblings span a 20 year age gap, my Dad being one of the eldest. My Grandad used to come over to England to subsidise the farm and my Dad travelled with him from age 15, all the older boys did the same so their final leaving date is probably very hazy even on official documents. His youngest siblings all still live fairly near the homestead now so still have strong links with people their age but a lot of my Dads age group left. Dad still has friends who like him flitted backward and forward but because none of them belong to professional bodies I didn't think they could count. I was thinking along the lines that for example it would only be people who can sign passports for instance that would be able to confirm this. Being a nurse I know how often my golden' signature' is called upon!
Hi:

Sworn testimony is "evidence." Don't every forget it. Try to visualize a wall that you have to build -- brick by brick by brick.
Old Nov 10th 2007, 12:00 am
Account Closed

Yes I know it is a lottery but if I don't enter I will never know. I didn't enter last year because I started the nursing route and haven't even got onto the second rung of the ladder in almost a year- haven't even got to the stage yet where retrogression kicks in, so I am disheartened with the whole process, especially as I have a job lined up.
Hi:

On the registered nurse thing -- first of all -- there was a special allocation that has now expired. However, Schedule A still exists. Also, I would not be surprised if there are nursing agencies and hospitals, etc etc that might be willing to sponsor you as "inventory" for future need. Also, there might be new legislation [or might not be] which will make you very happy you have that visa petition in the pipeline.
Old Nov 10th 2007, 12:06 am
Just Joined

Hi:

Sworn testimony is "evidence." Don't every forget it. Try to visualize a wall that you have to build -- brick by brick by brick.
Thank you, I guess I was making things more difficult than I should have

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.