Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Different date of birth on passport & birth certificate - K1 problem ??

Different date of birth on passport & birth certificate - K1 problem ??

Old Feb 23rd 2002, 8:25 pm
Cliff

Default Different date of birth on passport & birth certificate - K1 problem ??

Has anyone seen this before ? Help please ....

I'm 35 years old, and have just obtained a copy of my original birth certificate for
the first time. The day recorded on the certificate is one day earlier than the day I
have been using for the past 35 years of my life. So now, my passport, licence, tax
records, school records etc are all one day different from my birth certificate. I
believe the birth certificate is correct, and that my parents just had poor memory
over the early years I was growing up, so now my entire life is built around the
wrong birthday.

Will this cause problems when I submit my K1 package ? Any suggestions on how to deal
with the situation ? Obviously changing all my life records over the past 35 years
would be a nightmare I wish to avoid !!

TIA, Cliff.

Old Feb 23rd 2002, 10:00 pm
Jb

Default Re: Different date of birth on passport & birth certificate - K1 problem

Cliff wrote:
    >
    > Has anyone seen this before ? Help please ....
    >
    > I'm 35 years old, and have just obtained a copy of my original birth certificate
    > for the first time. The day recorded on the certificate is one day earlier than the
    > day I have been using for the past 35 years of my life. So now, my passport,
    > licence, tax records, school records etc are all one day different from my birth
    > certificate. I believe the birth certificate is correct, and that my parents just
    > had poor memory over the early years I was growing up, so now my entire life is
    > built around the wrong birthday.
    >
    > Will this cause problems when I submit my K1 package ? Any suggestions on how to
    > deal with the situation ? Obviously changing all my life records over the past 35
    > years would be a nightmare I wish to avoid !!

I'm not sure this will cause a problem. It might depend on who looks at your forms
and how strict they are. There was a slight error on my birth certificate as well but
not with my own data. The certificate showed a different birth place for my mother
and not the actual city she was born
in. I used the actual city on the forms anyway and it was never questioned. My
guess is that the birth certificate was never compared to the forms very
closely, if at all.

It may be easier to get the birth certificate itself changed. This is just my opinion
and it's what I would do if you really want everything to match. I intend to change
my birth certificate eventually but it's not a priority.

Old Feb 24th 2002, 1:50 am
Newyorker

Default Re: Different date of birth on passport & birth certificate - K1 problem ??

"Cliff" [email protected] wrote:

>I'm 35 years old, and have just obtained a copy of my original birth certificate for
    >the first time. The day recorded on the certificate is one day earlier than the day
    >I have been using for the past 35 years of my life. So now, my passport, licence,
    >tax records, school records etc are all one day different from my birth certificate.
    >I believe the birth certificate is correct, and that my parents just had poor memory
    >over the early years I was growing up, so now my entire life is built around the
    >wrong birthday.
    >
    >Will this cause problems when I submit my K1 package ? Any suggestions on how to
    >deal with the situation ? Obviously changing all my life records over the past 35
    >years would be a nightmare I wish to avoid !!

Hi Cliff.

I will assume you are the petitioner? You can take the chance that INS will honor you
sending just a copy of your passport information as per section 3-D on the I-129F
form and use the birthdate you have always known.

I would not send any conflicting birth information. If you feel you want to send in
the petition ASAP, you must decide which birthdate to use, and IMHO it should be the
one on your birth certificate once you verify that it is correct. Try calling vital
records or health department, the hospital where you were born etc. now, to get an
idea if this will be a short or long process for your instance.

Is this the first time you have ever seen your birth certificate? Or just the first
time you have noticed this.

In the mean time if you do just send a passport copy, I would still see about getting
my birth certificate amended if it was a clerical error that produced the wrong date.
If it is not a clerical error, you should begin getting your other documents
corrected.

Regards, NewYorker

All advice given is personal, not professional. If you need professional immigration
assistance, please consult a lawyer.

http://www.mindspring.com/~docsteen/...o/visainfo.htm

Old Feb 25th 2002, 2:50 am
Jb

Default Re: Different date of birth on passport & birth certificate - K1 problem

NewYorker wrote:
    >
    > "Cliff" [email protected] wrote:
    >
    > >I'm 35 years old, and have just obtained a copy of my original birth certificate
    > >for the first time. The day recorded on the certificate is one day earlier than
    > >the day I have been using for the past 35 years of my life. So now, my passport,
    > >licence, tax records, school records etc are all one day different from my birth
    > >certificate. I believe the birth certificate is correct, and that my parents just
    > >had poor memory over the early years I was growing up, so now my entire life is
    > >built around the wrong birthday.
    > >
    > >Will this cause problems when I submit my K1 package ? Any suggestions on how to
    > >deal with the situation ? Obviously changing all my life records over the past 35
    > >years would be a nightmare I wish to avoid !!
    >
    > Hi Cliff.
    >
    > I will assume you are the petitioner? You can take the chance that INS will honor
    > you sending just a copy of your passport information as per section 3-D on the
    > I-129F form and use the birthdate you have always known.
    >
    > I would not send any conflicting birth information. If you feel you want to send in
    > the petition ASAP, you must decide which birthdate to use, and IMHO it should be
    > the one on your birth certificate once you verify that it is correct. Try calling
    > vital records or health department, the hospital where you were born etc. now, to
    > get an idea if this will be a short or long process for your instance.

I investigated changing my birth certificate in Ohio and of course they cannot make
such a change easily. They sent me a form that I must fill out and have notarised.
This has to be returned with proof that what is on the certificate is in error. I
didn't ask how long this process might take but I doubted it would happen very
quickly so I went ahead and sent the copy I had with my petition.

I agree with the reply above that you should investigate correcting any errors but
try to determine how long the process will take.