Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Differences between K1, K2, K3, and K4 visas.

Wikiposts

Differences between K1, K2, K3, and K4 visas.

Old Jun 29th 2004, 8:59 am
BE Enthusiast

infotec28 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Differences between K1, K2, K3, and K4 visas.

Originally posted by meauxna
The "2 year rule" will take into account how long she's been married *when she enters the US with/activates her Immigrant Visa*.
If she enters/activates 2 years and one day from your wedding anniversary, presumably she would get IR-1 classification and would not need to remove conditions or do anything else for 10 years (at which time she would need to renew her card, tho her status remains intact).
ahhhh so this may be a close one :-) and something to consider as well.....you are alright, thanks again!
Old Jun 29th 2004, 9:06 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by infotec28
ahhhh so this may be a close one :-) and something to consider as well.....you are alright, thanks again!
heh, send your thanx via large jars of marmite.... <gak> but the DAH loves the stuff. Hope mum's brought a load back that she'll give up after the jet lag wears off.
Old Jun 29th 2004, 9:08 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally posted by meauxna
heh, send your thanx via large jars of marmite.... <gak> but the DAH loves the stuff. Hope mum's brought a load back that she'll give up after the jet lag wears off.
llllllooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooolllllll llllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll
Old Jun 29th 2004, 9:56 am

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

info,

Really? Yet you posted this:
"What kind of visa should I file for my wife? It seems that the K3 visa is what I am effectively filing for??"

You do not file for a visa, your wife - the foreigner - applies for a visa. You submit a petition (or file a petition, if you prefer) requesting that the government determine that she is qualified to apply for that visa.

A bit like the pot calling the kettle black, eh? No wonder people get confused, and then perpetuate the confusion.

Regards, JEff

Originally posted by infotec28
Jeff thank you for this reply...I thought it was just myself who thought that the information presented was a little bit difficult to comprehend.
Old Jun 29th 2004, 10:06 am

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

Jamie,

Correct, but may I insert a step that you missed?

Between info submitting and getting approval of his I-130 petition and his wife having an interview, his wife needs to apply for the visa.

info's I-130 petition is prerequisite for his wife's visa application, it does not absolve her of the need to make the application.

Regards, JEff

Originally posted by sunflwrgrl13
If you file the I-130 directly with the Consulate in London, it is not a "K" visa at all. Your wife (assuming she's the foreign spouse?) will receive either a CR-1 or IR-1 visa after the I-130 is approved and she completes an interview and medical exam. She will get the CR-1 if you have been married less than 2 years or will get a IR-1 if married longer than 2 years.

Jamie
Old Jun 29th 2004, 1:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally posted by jeffreyhy
info,

Really? Yet you posted this:
"What kind of visa should I file for my wife? It seems that the K3 visa is what I am effectively filing for??"

You do not file for a visa, your wife - the foreigner - applies for a visa. You submit a petition (or file a petition, if you prefer) requesting that the government determine that she is qualified to apply for that visa.

A bit like the pot calling the kettle black, eh? No wonder people get confused, and then perpetuate the confusion.

Regards, JEff
ehmmm yes this to