Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Difference between I-864 and I-134?

Difference between I-864 and I-134?

Old Apr 27th 2004, 2:39 pm
Tod's Princess

Location: Me: Ghent, Belgium - Tod: Providence (Rhode Island), USA
Noortje is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Difference between I-864 and I-134?

Hi,

I was reading this link ( http://www.visajourney.com/consulate...ls-Belgium.htm ) on visajourney about DCF in Brussels.

It says that packet 3 contains the form I-134 whereas I always thought it was form I-864.
Can anyone tell me which form it is that needs to be filled out?

What's the difference between the two "affidavit of support" forms?
Old Apr 27th 2004, 4:11 pm

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Difference between I-864 and I-134?

Noortje,

The I-134 affidavit documents that the sponsor for a visa applicant has sufficient income or assets to support the visa applicant. In the context of marriage-based visas the US citizen fiance(e) or spouse is the sponsor of the visa applicant. The I-864 takes this one step further and obligates the sponsor to support the applicant.

The I-134 affidavit is typically used with non-immigrant visas, although a few consulates require the I-864 for the K visas.

The I-864 is used with immigrant visas, and is also used when a K-visa entrant to the US applies for Adjustment of Status.

Regards, JEff

Originally posted by Noortje
Hi,

I was reading this link ( http://www.visajourney.com/consulate...ls-Belgium.htm ) on visajourney about DCF in Brussels.

It says that packet 3 contains the form I-134 whereas I always thought it was form I-864.

Old Apr 27th 2004, 4:23 pm
Tod's Princess

Thanks...
Since my soon-to-be husband is going to file for I-130 (DCF) at the embassy, it's going to be the I-864 then... Immigrant visa.
Old Apr 27th 2004, 4:29 pm

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

Noortje,

Correct.

Regards, JEff

Thanks...
Since my soon-to-be husband is going to file for I-130 (DCF) at the embassy, it's going to be the I-864 then... Immigrant visa.
Old Apr 27th 2004, 4:36 pm
Tod's Princess

Originally posted by jeffreyhy
Noortje,

Correct.

Regards, JEff
Learning every day here...
Second guessing, then researching again and then getting the final answer.
Old Apr 27th 2004, 7:04 pm
robert jcarlson

Hi,

they are not accepting co-sponsors with the I-134 anymore