Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Difference between H1B and EB2 visas?

Difference between H1B and EB2 visas?

Old Jul 6th 2008, 12:37 pm
Just Joined

Carolyn7 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Difference between H1B and EB2 visas?

Hello,

Can someone explain the difference between the H1 B and EB2 visas? And the advantages/disadvantages of each? I have Amberican bachelor's and master's degrees (earned at an American University overseas) so would seem to qualify for the EB2, but both require a job offer, correct? I've been working for this same overseas American University for 20+ years, so that may help somehow (but I do not want to work for their US campus - I know this would probably be the easiest path but it's not where I want to live).

Also how long does each typically take to process? Once you have a job offer, it would seem to me that an employer would not want to wait months/years for you to get there - wouldn't that decrease the chances of getting the job offer in the first place??

Thanks for any information!

Carolyn
Old Jul 6th 2008, 2:26 pm
Forum Regular

brueyh1976 has much to be proud ofbrueyh1976 has much to be proud ofbrueyh1976 has much to be proud ofbrueyh1976 has much to be proud ofbrueyh1976 has much to be proud ofbrueyh1976 has much to be proud ofbrueyh1976 has much to be proud ofbrueyh1976 has much to be proud ofbrueyh1976 has much to be proud ofbrueyh1976 has much to be proud ofbrueyh1976 has much to be proud of
Smile Re: Difference between H1B and EB2 visas?

Carolyn, the only advice that I can give is to check out, http://www.uscis.gov
and see what they have to say, check out, http://www.usembassy.org.uk also read the Wiki pages on here. Reading wise, get yourself a copy of The Immigration Guide To The USA by Henry Liebman, I got mine from Amazon. I really hope this helps you.
Old Jul 6th 2008, 2:51 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Difference between H1B and EB2 visas?

Originally Posted by Carolyn7
Hello,

Can someone explain the difference between the H1 B and EB2 visas? n
One is a visa and one is a classification
Old Jul 6th 2008, 4:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

English Muffin has a reputation beyond reputeEnglish Muffin has a reputation beyond reputeEnglish Muffin has a reputation beyond reputeEnglish Muffin has a reputation beyond reputeEnglish Muffin has a reputation beyond reputeEnglish Muffin has a reputation beyond reputeEnglish Muffin has a reputation beyond reputeEnglish Muffin has a reputation beyond reputeEnglish Muffin has a reputation beyond reputeEnglish Muffin has a reputation beyond reputeEnglish Muffin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by brueyh1976
Carolyn, the only advice that I can give is to check out, http://www.uscis.gov
and see what they have to say, check out, http://www.usembassy.org.uk also read the Wiki pages on here. Reading wise, get yourself a copy of The Immigration Guide To The USA by Henry Liebman, I got mine from Amazon. I really hope this helps you.
Are you getting commission for recommending this book? You seem to mention it in all of your posts.
Old Jul 6th 2008, 4:23 pm
Forum Regular

brueyh1976 has much to be proud ofbrueyh1976 has much to be proud ofbrueyh1976 has much to be proud ofbrueyh1976 has much to be proud ofbrueyh1976 has much to be proud ofbrueyh1976 has much to be proud ofbrueyh1976 has much to be proud ofbrueyh1976 has much to be proud ofbrueyh1976 has much to be proud ofbrueyh1976 has much to be proud ofbrueyh1976 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by English Muffin
Are you getting commission for recommending this book? You seem to mention it in all of your posts.
No I'm not getting commission. I recommend any book that I either like, enjoy or that I find useful. This book is very informative and I would recomend it to anyone who is in this situation and will continue to do so.
Old Jul 6th 2008, 4:33 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Carolyn7
Can someone explain the difference between the H1 B and EB2 visas?
H1B is a non-immigrant visa, whereas EB2 is an immigrant visa.

A non-immigrant visa allows you to live and work in the US for a temporary period and for a specific employer.

An immigrant visa will allow you to live and work in the US permanently.
Old Jul 6th 2008, 5:35 pm
Just Joined

Carolyn7 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the responses
Carolyn
Old Jul 7th 2008, 3:28 am
Account Closed

Folinskyinla is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Ray
One is a visa and one is a classification

Ray:

I know that sometimes that I am accused of being cryptic. But this one has thrown me for a loop.

Personally, I would say that they are both "classification" for a "visa" -- one immigrant and the other non-immigrant. Of course, once one uses the visa and is in the United States, the immigrant visa then creates the status of lawful permanent residence, while the non-immigrant admission leads to a status identical to the visa.
Old Jul 7th 2008, 3:46 am
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Folinskyinla
Ray:

I know that sometimes that I am accused of being cryptic. But this one has thrown me for a loop.

Personally, I would say that they are both "classification" for a "visa" -- one immigrant and the other non-immigrant. Of course, once one uses the visa and is in the United States, the immigrant visa then creates the status of lawful permanent residence, while the non-immigrant admission leads to a status identical to the visa.
Perhaps sub category is a better phrase
or not ...