Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Didn't change my address ... am i done for?

Didn't change my address ... am i done for?

Old Jul 17th 2008, 7:34 am
Just Joined

Made_in_England is an unknown quantity at this point
Unhappy Didn't change my address ... am i done for?

so here is my story

i arrived in the US from the UK in 2004 on an L1 visa. I had no accomodation yet and was staying in a hotel that was being paid for by my company.

As i had no home address, my office address was listed with USCIS.

2 weeks later i found an apartment and moved in. I have been there ever since. USCIS were not informed of the change

Now i am getting married to a USC and will be moving into a new home with my wife after the wedding.

Here is my question

I am NOW aware that everytime i move i need to notify the USCIS (and i will be doing that as soon as we get back from honemoon). how much trouble am i going to be in when they discover i never changed my address from 4 years ago? As far as USCIS are aware i have been living in my office for 4 years.

I am due to file for a GC, is this oversight going to cause me problems?
Old Jul 17th 2008, 7:50 am
Just Joined

spiderv6 is a name known to allspiderv6 is a name known to allspiderv6 is a name known to allspiderv6 is a name known to allspiderv6 is a name known to allspiderv6 is a name known to allspiderv6 is a name known to allspiderv6 is a name known to allspiderv6 is a name known to allspiderv6 is a name known to allspiderv6 is a name known to all
Default Re: Didn't change my address ... am i done for?

Originally Posted by Made_in_England
so here is my story

i arrived in the US from the UK in 2004 on an L1 visa. I had no accomodation yet and was staying in a hotel that was being paid for by my company.

2 weeks later i found an apartment and moved in. I have been there ever since. USCIS were not informed of the change

Now i am getting married to a USC and will be moving into a new home with my wife after the wedding.

Here is my question

I am NOW aware that everytime i move i need to notify the USCIS (and i will be doing that as soon as we get back from honemoon). how much trouble am i going to be in when they discover i never changed my address from 4 years ago? As far as USCIS are aware i have been living in my office for 4 years.

Youre right, I guess you are supposed to inform them. I just realised I never told them my address when I moved out of temp accommodation 2 years ago either.

My GC just got approved.

In the grand scheme of things, I doubt if USCIS a) really cares that much or b) really has the ability to track such things......

Enjoy the honeymoon
Old Jul 17th 2008, 11:26 am
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spiderv6
Youre right, I guess you are supposed to inform them. I just realised I never told them my address when I moved out of temp accommodation 2 years ago either.

My GC just got approved.

In the grand scheme of things, I doubt if USCIS a) really cares that much or b) really has the ability to track such things......

Enjoy the honeymoon
We never told them about our moves either and got approved without problems - the issue never even came up.

If all the other ducks are in a row, relax.
Old Jul 17th 2008, 11:42 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Well, *you* know it's your office address... to USCIS, it's simply "your address".

Ian
Old Jul 17th 2008, 12:57 pm
Not here much

neil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond repute

I never did it. I don't know if it makes a difference but if you leave the country and come back in again you put your address on the form; I would have thought that's probably on file somewhere and would be consider an address they have been notified of.

It's different once you are a permanent resident as you no longer need to fill out a visa/visa waiver form on entry.

Just a thought. Of course if you haven't left in 4 years...
Old Jul 17th 2008, 1:31 pm
L2, GC, Surrey, OH, TX!

MsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond repute

what address have you been using for taxes?

I would change the address with uscic when you can just so all the information matches. I cant think it will cause you major issues but it would be easier if all the address details matched if you every have to have an interview etc.
Old Jul 17th 2008, 2:33 pm
Account Closed

Folinskyinla is an unknown quantity at this point

so here is my story

Here is my question

Hi:

One, file that AR-11 now. Better late than never.

Two, you will in all likelihood be just fine.
Old Jul 25th 2008, 5:31 pm
Just Joined

thomasg is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Folinskyinla
One, file that AR-11 now. Better late than never.
You can even file online now so there's little reason not to.