Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Didn't advise INS of address change!

Didn't advise INS of address change!

Old Jul 2nd 2011, 1:58 am
Just Joined

ramah will become famous soon enoughramah will become famous soon enough
Default Didn't advise INS of address change!

Hi All,

I'm in the process of renewing my 10year green card. Also have heeded advice from many on this forum to apply for US citizenship so I can return to the US in the future if I decide to head back to UK for a while to take care of family matters. I'd like to be able to return to the States at some point.

I found out last year when preparing for green card renewal that I should have notified INS of a change of address and I didn't! Will this pose a problem for me when I file the citizenship application? Will they possibly deny my application for naturalization? Anyone else personally had any dealings with this situation? Thanks in advance!
Old Jul 2nd 2011, 2:02 am

Poppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Didn't advise INS of address change!

Originally Posted by ramah
Hi All,

I'm in the process of renewing my 10year green card. Also have heeded advice from many on this forum to apply for US citizenship so I can return to the US in the future if I decide to head back to UK for a while to take care of family matters. I'd like to be able to return to the States at some point.

I found out last year when preparing for green card renewal that I should have notified INS of a change of address and I didn't! Will this pose a problem for me when I file the citizenship application? Will they possibly deny my application for naturalization? Anyone else personally had any dealings with this situation? Thanks in advance!
I forgot a couple of times and told the IO when I adjusted status and again when I went to Chicago district office when I lived in IL and was told it was not a problem....even mentioned it at my naturalization interview and she just said did you put all the address's on the forms (Yes) and she was fine.
Old Jul 2nd 2011, 2:10 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Poppy girl
I forgot a couple of times and told the IO when I adjusted status and again when I went to Chicago district office when I lived in IL and was told it was not a problem....even mentioned it at my naturalization interview and she just said did you put all the address's on the forms (Yes) and she was fine.
Thanks for telling me that! It's been really concerning me
Old Jul 6th 2011, 3:16 pm
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute

Hi All,

For the failure to cause problems it must have been "willful." Accordingly, in practice, it becomes a "no harm no foul" type of violation. Furthermore, the rubric of "go forth and sin no more" applies.

Many attorneys I know make a habit of having their alien clients register address changes on-line when the change comes to the attorney's attention.

There used to be a provision in the law that all aliens had to report their current address every January. There would be public service advertisements on the radio and TV about this. This requirement was eliminated in the 1980 "Efficiency" bill which eliminated a lot of dead weight from the Immigration & Nationality Act.
Old Jul 6th 2011, 3:24 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by S Folinsky
For the failure to cause problems it must have been "willful." Accordingly, in practice, it becomes a "no harm no foul" type of violation. Furthermore, the rubric of "go forth and sin no more" applies.

Many attorneys I know make a habit of having their alien clients register address changes on-line when the change comes to the attorney's attention.

There used to be a provision in the law that all aliens had to report their current address every January. There would be public service advertisements on the radio and TV about this. This requirement was eliminated in the 1980 "Efficiency" bill which eliminated a lot of dead weight from the Immigration & Nationality Act.
Great info! Thank you.
Old Jul 6th 2011, 8:25 pm
A I
not even a fake TV lawyer

A I has much to be proud ofA I has much to be proud ofA I has much to be proud ofA I has much to be proud ofA I has much to be proud ofA I has much to be proud ofA I has much to be proud ofA I has much to be proud ofA I has much to be proud ofA I has much to be proud ofA I has much to be proud of

Hi All,
Also have heeded advice from many on this forum to apply for US citizenship so I can return to the US in the future if I decide to head back to UK for a while to take care of family matters. I'd like to be able to return to the States at some point.
Congratulations on your important decision !
Old Jul 6th 2011, 9:35 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by A I
Congratulations on your important decision !
Thanks very much.