Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Did we actually not get the green cards ????? Please help

Did we actually not get the green cards ????? Please help

Old Jan 31st 2002, 6:12 am
Hareeshd

Folks, this is a strange. I thought me and my wife were done with I485 adjustment of
status, since we had an interview at San Francisco, got a letter of approval, and
went in the San Ffancisco office to get the stamp in the passport. The letter was
signed December 21, 2001, and we got our passports stamped on December 31, 2001.
Stamp is for one year temporary, in which time I was thinking we will get our
permanent green card.

Few days back, just out of curiosity, I checked the recorded message from INS
regional office of California, at Laguna Niguel. I was expecting to hear that our
cases were approved, and a permanent green card will be mailed within a year.
Instead, I heard the announcement that " your petition I485, adjustment of status was
received on 01/23/2002. It takes 999 days to process this kind of application" blah
blah blah. I checked status for my wife also and same thing there with a difference
of 01/25/2002 as her receipt date. Then I checked the status on the application for
renewal of my h1b and her h4. It is still in pending.

So, I am baffeled. Did we actually not get our I485 petition approved after having
interview in San Francisco, and receiving a letter to that effect, or they are making
a mistake now and starting process for our I485 again. Or, they made a mistake before
when they sent us the letters of approval.

Will very much appreciate if someone can clarify this. It is like being shown a candy
and taken away.

Hareesh

Old Jan 31st 2002, 2:52 pm
Shelley

If you have an I-551 stamp in your passport, you are a Permanent Resident. The I-551
stamp is as good as the plastic card, and you and your wife will probably receive
your Green Cards within a year. Don't give the phone message a second thought. Take
Care. Shelley

>
    >
letter
    >
    >
passports
    >
time I
    >
    >
    >
INS
    >
that
    >
a
    >
adjustment
    >
kind of
    >
thing
    >
the
    >
    >
    >
after
    >
or
    >
they
    >
    >
    >
shown a
    >
    >
    >

Old Jan 31st 2002, 3:04 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

You and your wife have been approved and have the paper equivalent of the green card in passport.

Just because the message hasn't been changed doesnt' indicate that there is something wrong.

Your green card will arrive within the year.

Rita
Old Jan 31st 2002, 5:39 pm
Sylvia Ottemoeller

HareeshD wrote:

>
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

You have been permanent residents since the date of approval of the I-485
applications. That date will appear on your PR cards.

I have noticed the type of message you mentioned on the automated system at INS CSC.
I think that the application it is really referring to, and this fits with the dates,
is the I-89 which is sent to INS CSC by the INS district office (INS SF in your case)
to order the actual Permanent Resident Card.

The 999 days is a nonmeaningful period of time. You will probably receive your cards
within 4 to 10 months of the date you had your passport stamped.

The pending H extensions don't mean anything either. INS has no mechanism of
connecting an I-485 approval to the cancellation of pending H extensions.

Old Feb 1st 2002, 4:24 am
Hareeshd

Sylvia,

Thanks for the input. I just checked today again and the message has been changed to
say the the application has been approved.

Hareesh