Derivative Citizenship

Old Mar 12th 2009, 5:23 pm
Just Joined

Daina is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Derivative Citizenship

Hello.

I was born in 1988, to my father who was/is a US Citizen. I've lived in England all my life.
Am I automatically a US Citizen through Derivative Citizenship or do I need to apply for Citizenship? Ideally I'd like to have Dual Nationality.
Anyone know much about this?

Thanks.
Old Mar 12th 2009, 5:31 pm
Passport Collector

dreamercon has a reputation beyond reputedreamercon has a reputation beyond reputedreamercon has a reputation beyond reputedreamercon has a reputation beyond reputedreamercon has a reputation beyond reputedreamercon has a reputation beyond reputedreamercon has a reputation beyond reputedreamercon has a reputation beyond reputedreamercon has a reputation beyond reputedreamercon has a reputation beyond reputedreamercon has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Derivative Citizenship

Were your parents married when you were born? How long did your father live in the US before your birth, and how old was he at the time?

Originally Posted by Daina
Hello.

I was born in 1988, to my father who was/is a US Citizen. I've lived in England all my life.
Am I automatically a US Citizen through Derivative Citizenship or do I need to apply for Citizenship? Ideally I'd like to have Dual Nationality.

Thanks.
Old Mar 12th 2009, 5:33 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by dreamercon
Were your parents married when you were born? How long did your father live in the US before your birth, and how old was he at the time?
They were married, and he'd lived there for all his life, minus being stationed here in the Army. He was either 24 or 22.
Old Mar 12th 2009, 5:34 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Hello.

Thanks.
Did your father live at least 5 years in the United States before your birth?
Were a minimum of 2 of these 5 years in the United States after his 14th birthday?

If the answer to both of these questions are yes, you are a USC.

If your father registered the birth at a consulate, you're good to apply for your first passport and social security card. If not, you'll need to gather documentation for proof. Either way, contact American Citizen Services at the consulate to get your passport. The passport is your proof of citizenship.

You might also want to read the dual citizen FAQ here.
Old Mar 12th 2009, 5:35 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dreamercon
She was born after November 14, 1986!
Old Mar 12th 2009, 5:36 pm
Passport Collector

dreamercon has a reputation beyond reputedreamercon has a reputation beyond reputedreamercon has a reputation beyond reputedreamercon has a reputation beyond reputedreamercon has a reputation beyond reputedreamercon has a reputation beyond reputedreamercon has a reputation beyond reputedreamercon has a reputation beyond reputedreamercon has a reputation beyond reputedreamercon has a reputation beyond reputedreamercon has a reputation beyond repute

In this case, you are a US citizen. All you need to do is apply for a US passport.

They were married, and he'd lived there for all his life, minus being stationed here in the Army. He was either 24 or 22.
Old Mar 12th 2009, 5:53 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by fatbrit
Did your father live at least 5 years in the United States before your birth?
Were a minimum of 2 of these 5 years in the United States after his 14th birthday?

If the answer to both of these questions are yes, you are a USC.

If your father registered the birth at a consulate, you're good to apply for your first passport and social security card. If not, you'll need to gather documentation for proof. Either way, contact American Citizen Services at the consulate to get your passport. The passport is your proof of citizenship.

You might also want to read the dual citizen FAQ here.
My birth never was registered, is all the proof I need a birth certificate?
Old Mar 12th 2009, 6:14 pm
crg
American Expat

crg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond repute

Hello.

Thanks.
Do you have any children?
Old Mar 12th 2009, 6:24 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by crg14624
Do you have any children?
None, what implications would there be if I did?
Old Mar 12th 2009, 6:26 pm
Account Closed

Folinskyinla is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi:

First of all, assuming you mean United States Army, that time is included in US residence. If your father spent five years in the US [including military service] at least two of which were after age 14 BEFORE your birth, it appears that section 301(g) of the Immigration & Nationality Act declares you to be a citizen as of the date of your birth. You can apply for a US passport.

BTW, remember that, as a US citizen [with or without a passport], you are subject to US income tax laws on your WORLDWIDE income. Do note that there is a foreign earned income exemption which often lowers the US tax liability to zero. [FWIW, I have a brother-in-law who holds dual US/UK nationality. He UK wife was born in the US and later obtained UK nationality via naturalization.]
Old Mar 12th 2009, 6:31 pm
Just Joined

So do I technically hold Dual Citizenship? I have a UK passport/national insurance number etc.
Old Mar 12th 2009, 6:32 pm
Account Closed

Folinskyinla is an unknown quantity at this point

None, what implications would there be if I did?
Hi:

Assuming you are a US citizen, your children's citizenship will not be automatic. However, under current law, if you obtain an immigrant visa for them and the immigrates before age 18 while in your custody -- upon admission as a permanent resident [green card] that status will automatically go "poof!" and disappear inasmuch as instant naturalization has just occurred.

Note, the I-864 requirement will be met by an I-864W since you have to show ability to support them for no time at all.

Last edited by Folinskyinla; Mar 12th 2009 at 7:51 pm. Reason: correction -- had left out word "children's"
Old Mar 12th 2009, 6:36 pm
Septicity

So do I technically hold Dual Citizenship? I have a UK passport/national insurance number etc.
You are a dual citizen. Your UK citizenship is documented, your US citizenship is probably not unless your father registered your birth with the consulate. Apply for a US passport and US social security number if you wish to be documented as a US citizen. If your birth wasn't recorded, you need to gather the proofs.
Old Mar 12th 2009, 6:53 pm
Just Joined

Presumably I'll need to prove my father was American?
I don't have contact with him really, he lives in the states, will my birth certificate do?
Old Mar 12th 2009, 6:59 pm
Septicity

Presumably I'll need to prove my father was American?
I don't have contact with him really, he lives in the states, will my birth certificate do?
Open up contact, then. A copy of his US birth certificate will prove he's a US citizen. You also need proof of his required residence in the US before you were born -- school or military records are probably the easiest. While you're at it, get your mum's birth certificate and marriage and divorce records since the consulate will probably also ask for these.

Whilst it's going to be easier to get these if you open up contact with your father, it's not going to be impossible to procure these if you don't. But it's going to be a lot harder.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.