deportation issue

Old Jan 22nd 2017, 12:00 pm
Just Joined

Heather1964 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default deportation issue

Hi I have a major problem, I have been a permenant resident of this country for 12 yrs I am a Canadian citizen ,i married a American, I did a huge wrong,, I was told I could vote, big mistake, come to find out I wasn't allowed to,, my neighbor tells me I will be deported now, I was to file for citizenchip next month as my 10 year visa runs out in August 2017 Help,, what do I do now, do I pack my things and go back to Canada , I am very worried now, and feel pretty stupid for voting

and information and help would be appreciated

Thanks

Last edited by Heather1964; Jan 22nd 2017 at 12:31 pm.
Old Jan 22nd 2017, 12:22 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: deportation issue

If you are a US Permanent Resident, you don't have a visa. Do you mean your 10-year green card?

I believe US PRs are allowed to vote in some small local elections, but I assume you are talking about the Presidential election?

You need to consult with an immigration attorney.

Rene
Old Jan 22nd 2017, 12:24 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Noorah101
If you are a US Permanent Resident, you don't have a visa. Do you mean your 10-year green card?

I believe US PRs are allowed to vote in some small local elections, but I assume you are talking about the Presidential election?

Rene

yes sorry its a green card yes, and it was for the presidential election,
Old Jan 22nd 2017, 12:30 pm
Just Joined

so basically from what I have read on the internet, I will get deported,
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Heather1964
... my neighbor tells me I will be deported now...
Your neighbor is an idiot... and you can tell him I said so.

I was to file for citizenchip next month as my 10 year visa runs out in August 2017...
Go ahead and file.

... do I pack my things and go back to Canada...
No.

I am very worried now, and feel pretty stupid for voting
So long as you did not claim to be a US citizen, you'll be fine. If you did claim to be a US citizen in order to vote, then I agree with Rene - contact an immigration attorney. Note that there is a difference between you claiming to be a US citizen, and a county clerk assuming you're a US citizen and registering you to vote.

Ian

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for clarifying.

Rene
Old Jan 22nd 2017, 12:32 pm

do I pack my things and go back to Canada
No.

Rene
Old Jan 22nd 2017, 12:35 pm
Just Joined

thanks,, but no I did not claim to be a citizen,, there is a box that you check and I didn't check that,,,
Old Jan 22nd 2017, 12:52 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Legal advice needed.
Old Jan 22nd 2017, 10:53 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Have you been formally reported for this? Do the authorities know about this?
Have ICE visited your home to tell you will be deported.
Old Jan 22nd 2017, 10:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

neill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond repute

so basically from what I have read on the internet, I will get deported,
Due process. This is a concept that large parts of the internet community truly struggles with.

My understanding is that at most would affect a citizenship application.

Again, due process sits between this and what you might have done.
Old Jan 23rd 2017, 1:43 am
Just Joined

Sprucetree is an unknown quantity at this point

My advice would be to never mention it again if you didn't state you were a US citizen. If you haven't lied at all, you have nothing to worry about.

Last edited by Sprucetree; Jan 23rd 2017 at 1:46 am.
Old Jan 23rd 2017, 2:14 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
Have you been formally reported for this? Do the authorities know about this?
Have ICE visited your home to tell you will be deported.

No to all of those, my neighbor was the one that said this about being deported, I did not check the box that asked if I was a us citizen
Old Jan 23rd 2017, 2:15 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Sprucetree
My advice would be to never mention it again if you didn't state you were a US citizen. If you haven't lied at all, you have nothing to worry about.
Nope,, I did not put anything or state that I was a us citizen, did not check the box,,
Old Jan 23rd 2017, 2:54 am
BE Forum Addict

tom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond repute

I think you should consult with a professional immigration attorney. It may well be their advice to leave the hornets nest undisturbed and not to file!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.