Wikiposts

Democratic debate on immigration

Old Sep 9th 2003, 5:54 am
BE Forum Addict

doctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to behold

Hmmm world famous Austrian politicians running other parts of the world...Adolf & Arnie ?
Old Sep 9th 2003, 6:01 am
BE Forum Addict

DCMark is just really niceDCMark is just really niceDCMark is just really niceDCMark is just really niceDCMark is just really niceDCMark is just really niceDCMark is just really niceDCMark is just really niceDCMark is just really niceDCMark is just really niceDCMark is just really nice

Whats even worse is that US Citizen's don't have the right to vote!

www.dcvote.org

Originally posted by ScarlettHill
Well, what I say is...

(jumps madly into the fray)

No taxation without representation!!!

So stop taxing me, America. I'm not allowed to vote for years yet!

-=-
Scarlett
Old Sep 9th 2003, 6:15 am
ScarlettHill

Well, what I say is...

-=-
Scarlett
Originally posted by DCMark
Whats even worse is that US Citizen's don't have the right to vote!

www.dcvote.org
Of course it's always worse if it upsets USCs because they matter more. I tell you what - don't tax them either!

I know, I know, I'm being a little frivolous but heck - I had the documentation provided for me to pay taxes here (ITIN) before I had the legal right to work. And my taxes support a government I won't get the chance to vote out of office. Boo Hoo!!

Something's a bit squiffy in the states of the States, to paraphrase old Billy WaggleDagger.

Regards
-=-
Scarlett

Old Sep 9th 2003, 6:59 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Well, what I say is...

-=-
Scarlett
Are you working yet Scarlett? If not, then you aren't being taxed yet either ;-)

Rete
Old Sep 9th 2003, 7:18 am
BE Forum Addict

Caro is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Rete
If you want to read about this driver's license issue. The subject matter you touched on is covered in that thread indepth.
Maybe the problem is not the DL but the fact that the US does not have any other form of ID that you present to get a job or get a SS number that clearly states whether you are a US citizen or not.

In France for example, my (lifetime) DL has a few information like name, address, date and place of birth. I may use my DL as a picture ID in a few situations (like I have to present a picture ID along with my credit card). However, I can NEVER use my French driver's license as a picture ID for something official, like for obtaining papers or documents from the French government or for obtaining employment. For this, I can use my French passport or my French ID card (both valid for 10 years) that both state that I am a French citizen (and therefore am allowed to work). Both the passport and the French ID card have the same securized features (and the French ID card can be used as a proof of French citizenship for some administrative matters).

Foreigners (legally in the country) do have an ID card issued by the French government, called a "carte de sejour", that is different from the one issued to citizens. They can also obtain a DL that looks just like mine.

Caroline
Old Sep 9th 2003, 7:30 am
Forum Regular

Aliluv is an unknown quantity at this point

"It already is mandatory in California to provide insurance as a condition of registering your car. Insurance travels with the vehicle, as well as the driver. Unless the insurer can prove that the vehicle's owner knowingly gave the car to someone without a license, the car is insured even if an unlicensed driver causes an accident. Moreover, every insurance policy in California requires uninsured/underinsured motorist coverage, so you're covered even if there is no insurance on the other vehicle at all. We also of course are ignoring tort liability law - if someone hits you, causes damage, and insurance cannot respond to it, you sue them. It is done all the time. "

I live in California and I would like to point out something Uninsured Motorist coverage is NOT mandatory. California law only requires liability insurance they do not require any type of insurance to protect the owner of the vehicle only the people the policy holder causes damage too. Also I am financing a new car my lein holder does not require unisured motorist coverage either. They only require comp and collision.

I just wanted to point that out to you.

Also many drivers sign up for insurance get the 6 month card and then cancel, I got hit by someone who did this. Thank the Lord I had insurance, by the way my insurance company did not get 1 dime from the man who hit me.

There are ways around it.
I agree with Dekka most people are uninsured because they can't afford it. When I put my husband on my policy it tripled!

Last edited by Aliluv; Sep 9th 2003 at 7:39 am.
Old Sep 9th 2003, 8:03 am
Banned

Matthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Democratic debate on immigration

Originally posted by Margaret
If a person wants to drive they will drive with or without a licence,
with or without insurance. It's the way it is.
I happen to agree with this observation.

I live in one of those Pasadena bungalows built in the 40's, and there is room for 2 cars (mine and my roommate's) to park right in front of the house (off street parking).

Running down the right hand side of the house is a driveway that leads to 3 apartments that are located behind my house.

Around 6 to 8 months ago, my roommate and I were sitting on the front porch of the house in the evening (it was dark). We could hear the sound of a car backing out of the side driveway, and the car ended up hitting my roommate’s truck (very large dent) right behind his passenger side door on his truck.

She (the driver) and her friend got out (they had been visiting a person who lives in the apartments in the back). She was a young illegal alien who had just bought her first car and obviously didn't have enough experience driving to be able to safely back up the 90 or so feet from the back of my house to the street.

She begged my roommate not to call the police (he initially wanted to so they could make out a report), saying she and her father would pay for the damages she caused. My roommate is a nice guy, and instead of calling the police (which I would have done) he took down her information. She asked him to get a couple of estimates, and that she would have money to pay for the damages by the weekend or the following week.

My roommate carries the minimum insurance required in California. The information she gave him was completely false. Even tough we are friends with the person she was visiting in the apartments in the back, my roommate has not been able to find her or collect anything for his damages.

We live slightly under two hours away from the Mexican border. All he got for trying to help an illegal alien (by not calling the police) is a dented truck.

Last edited by Matthew Udall; Sep 9th 2003 at 8:07 am.
Old Sep 9th 2003, 8:47 am
ScarlettHill

Originally posted by Rete
Are you working yet Scarlett? If not, then you aren't being taxed yet either ;-)

Rete
I'm writing this from work - teaching English to Americans! Someone needs to!! I'm loving having a reason to climb out of my pit in the mornings - been a long time a-comin'!

Regards
-=-
Scarlett

Old Sep 9th 2003, 9:37 am
Michael D. Young

jg1012002 wrote:

> There is another side to the driver's license issue -----
    > If you are against giving them a driver's license, fine. But don't
    > bitch when they hit your car and have no insurance......after all you
    > didn't want them to have one.
    > By giving them a driver's license, it could be mandatory they provide
    > insurance to get the license, and then when they hit you at least the
    > damages are paid for.

Yeah I'm sure someone here illegally is going to run out and pay $500.00 or
$1000.00 for car insurance. Plus I'm totally sure they will stop driving
once their license has been revoked for not having insurance being the good
law abiding folks that they are. Not to mention driving on expired expired
tags.

Old Sep 9th 2003, 9:49 am
License 4 You

Dekka's Angel <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > Originally posted by jg1012002
    >
    > > If you are against giving them a driver's license, fine. But don't
    > > bitch when they hit your car and have no insurance......after all you
    > > didn't want them to have one.
    >
    > >
    >
    > > By giving them a driver's license, it could be mandatory they provide
    > > insurance to get the license, and then when they hit you at least the
    > > damages are paid for.
    >
    >
    >
    > It already is mandatory in California to provide insurance as a
    > condition of registering your car. Insurance travels with the vehicle,

Which has nothing to do with getting a license.

Please see my site:
http://members.lycos.co.uk/licencia2drive/

Licenses 4 You

Old Sep 9th 2003, 9:54 am
Margaret

Just to add when a Senator here in Idaho tried to introduce a bill to
allow illegal immigrants to get a driver's licences, a U.S. Attorney
(hope I got that title right) made the comment that that was an
illegal act in that it violated the law of "aiding and abetting an
illegal". How did Governor Davis then manage to do what he did?

Old Sep 9th 2003, 10:06 am
BE Forum Addict

Dekka's Angel is an unknown quantity at this point
Default First Licenses, then Insurance :)

Originally posted by Aliluv
I live in California and I would like to point out something Uninsured Motorist coverage is NOT mandatory. California law only requires liability insurance they do not require any type of insurance to protect the owner of the vehicle only the people the policy holder causes damage too. Also I am financing a new car my lein holder does not require unisured motorist coverage either. They only require comp and collision.

I just wanted to point that out to you.
You are incorrect. The requirement that each auto insurance policy carry UM/UMI insurance in limits equal to or in excess of their liability limits is mandatory. See Insurance Code section 11580.2.

You are probably confusing UM/UMI with Medical Payments coverage, which is optional and which protects the insured for medical expenses that s/he incurs if there is no liability coverage held by the other driver which can respond. Medical Payments coverage is usually not volunteered by most carriers, and not held by most insureds because they have health insurance that covers these costs. But that is not the same as UM/UMI, which covers the damages that most people incur in an accident - damage to their own vehicle at the hands of an uninsured/underinsured driver. That is why your insurer pays to fix your car even when you are not at fault in an accident - because you are paying for it, by having UM/UMI coverage.

PS. Comprehensive and Collision coverage is also not mandatory. It is as a practical matter because no lienholder will finance a vehicle without it since their security (the car) could be lost. But the law absolutely does not require either comp or collision coverage, and many people who do not have car loans are self-insured for both of these. Particularly with older cars.

BTW I live in California too. And until 1999, better than 1/3 of my legal work involved Proposition 103 and insurance coverage matters on behalf of a major insurance conglomerate. So, as embarassed as I am to admit it, this is something I know like the back of my hand because I was once an insurance company hired gun

Last edited by Dekka's Angel; Sep 9th 2003 at 10:11 am.
Old Sep 9th 2003, 10:07 am
Michael D. Young

Dekka's Angel wrote:

> Originally posted by jg1012002
    > It already is mandatory in California to provide insurance as a
    > condition of registering your car. Insurance travels with the vehicle,
    > as well as the driver. Unless the insurer can prove that the vehicle's
    > owner knowingly gave the car to someone without a license, the car is
    > insured even if an unlicensed driver causes an accident. Moreover,
    > every insurance policy in California requires uninsured/underinsured
    > motorist coverage, so you're covered even if there is no insurance on
    > the other vehicle at all. We also of course are ignoring tort liability
    > law - if someone hits you, causes damage, and insurance cannot respond
    > to it, you sue them. It is done all the time.

Yeah it's mandatory here in Maryland too, but we still pay for an uninsured
motorist fund to cover people that get in an accident with someone that doesn't
have insurance.

> To get a social security card, all that is required is that you show 2
    > documents or more that prove identity, age and alienage status (correct
    > me if I'm misremembering this, Mike Young!). The SSA, last time I
    > checked, will accept a certified birth certificate and a drivers license
    > as evidence of all three criteria. Birth certificates are some of the
    > most commonly forged (and easily forgeable) documents that exist and
    > before 1994 (when California eliminated drivers' licenses for illegal
    > aliens) were regularly used by illegal immigrants along with drivers'
    > licenses to get social security numbers.

Depends if you are applying for a work authorized SSN or nonwork SSN. To be
assigned a nonwork authorized SSN to be issued a driver's license you need proof
of age, identity and lawful alien status. Plus detailed documentation from the
DMV stating why you need an SSN. This is the one thing about this California
driver's license issue that had me wondering. The requirements say you need a
Tax Identification Number to be issued a California driver's license, so unless
this new law waives that requirement an illegal is going need an ITIN, since
they aren't going to be assigned an SSN.

RM 00203.510 Alien Without Work Authorization - Nonwork Need For an SSN

http://policy.ssa.gov/poms.nsf/lnx/0100203510

Old Sep 9th 2003, 10:16 am
BE Forum Addict

Dekka's Angel is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Nobody
6. Drunks, Niggers (don't take it as a racist argument), white trash and rednecks are the people who don't have insurance. Don't mix them with somebody who is just unlawfully present!
Umm.

I'm a "nigger" with auto insurance. So are all my friends who are "niggers". As is everyone I know who is a "nigger".

Given this, exactly how am I supposed to take your gratuitous association of people of my race with your larger point, using disgustingly racist terms, except as a racist remark?

P.S. Nobody, you don't EVEN want to get started down that path. If you cannot discuss something civilly, don't discuss it at all. You don't have that much game, and as a member of this NG I don't even want to see words like that come across the transom. You won't like my response in the future.

Last edited by Dekka's Angel; Sep 9th 2003 at 10:20 am.
Old Sep 9th 2003, 11:02 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

I'm writing this from work - teaching English to Americans! Someone needs to!! I'm loving having a reason to climb out of my pit in the mornings - been a long time a-comin'!

Regards
-=-
Scarlett

Oh No! Not English ... 'Merican please.

Rete

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.