Wikiposts

Democratic debate on immigration

Old Sep 7th 2003, 2:00 pm
trentonramsey

Default Democratic debate on immigration

can wesley clark defeat george bush?

clark seems to be getting ahead in the democratic primary

Last edited by trentonramsey; Sep 22nd 2003 at 10:48 am.

Old Sep 7th 2003, 2:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

Caro is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Democratic debate on immigration

Do you have a link for it? Here is what his website says, which is kind of different:

"Efficient Citizenship and Enforcement Services: John Kerry supports efforts to cut the backlog of applications pending with the Bureau for Citizenship and Immigration Services, speed up the naturalization process and reduce the wait for family visas and other important matters. John Kerry has also called for reforming and adequately funding border enforcement to ensure that only legal immigrants can enter the country."

"Family Reunification: John Kerry believes that we should unite and not divide families by making family reunification the cornerstone of our immigration system. John Kerry supports allowing immigrants who are eligible for permanent resident visas to be processed in the United States rather than processed in their home country. He also supports restoring the discretion of immigration judges to evaluate cases on an individual basis and grant relief to deserving immigrants and their families."

There is also concerning illegal immigrants:
"Supporting the DREAM Act: John Kerry supports legislation that would provide immigration relief to undocumented young people who have spent their formative years in the United States, who have graduated from high school here, and who can demonstrate good moral character. The DREAM Act repeals a law that prevents these promising young people from attending college in the United States."

source: http://www.johnkerry.com/issues/immigration.html

Caroline
Old Sep 8th 2003, 1:57 am
BE Forum Addict

Dekka's Angel is an unknown quantity at this point
Default OT

Originally posted by trentonramsey
I heard on the news last night that California Govenor Davis is signing a bill to give drivers licenses to illegal aliens.
He has signed it. After vetoing it *twice* before, for all the right reasons (IMO).

It's a sad comment about how desperate he has become to keep his job in the recall. Especially since unless a comet passes, he won't be keeping it anyway.
Old Sep 8th 2003, 3:30 am
BE Enthusiast

BeachBunny is an unknown quantity at this point

{I'm currently a Republican voting against the recall.. but I'll be switching parties in the next year.. just haven't decided on what party}

Anyways.. quick question..

What are my husbands chances if he's denied the waiver... can we sneak him into the country and wait for the next amnesty?
Old Sep 8th 2003, 4:32 am
WTF?

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute

you could just go live in his country. My fiance and I have decided that is what we will do if denied, and she lives in a much worse country than your other half does.
Trentonramsey,

You're just making up stupid answers to all these threads. Beachbunny had a legitimate question. Shut up and get out of the way, I would like to hear from someone that actually knows what they're talking about.

Leslie
Old Sep 8th 2003, 4:42 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

This is ubelievable coming to the US illegally then being rewarded by prize of permanent status

Why is it unbelievable? This has been occurring for the last 20 to 30 years. Illegals all know that if you can get yourself into the US and remain undiscovered that within ten years the US Government will offer up general amnesty? Hey the State's do it with income tax non-filers.

Beside Mr. Bush and many of other politicans have to give some crumbs to Mr. Fox to keep him happy about his citizens being allowed to remain in the US so that his population will still have the US currency those workers send home to their families to keep them afloat.

Also politicans know how easy it is for illegals to register to vote and by saying that they are for these programs that benefit illegals, they are really courting the illegal voters in their districts and countrywide if they are running for president. All you have to do is tick the yes I want to register to vote box when getting a driver's license and you are registered. No one asks for proof of US Citizenship. Now that is something you might want to sink your teeth into.

Rete
Old Sep 8th 2003, 4:43 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by BeachBunny
{I'm currently a Republican voting against the recall.. but I'll be switching parties in the next year.. just haven't decided on what party}

Anyways.. quick question..

What are my husbands chances if he's denied the waiver... can we sneak him into the country and wait for the next amnesty?

Not necessarily. If he is denied for reasons that are criminal, an amnesty will not help him.
Old Sep 8th 2003, 4:56 am
The Missus

SecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond repute
Default seadave, that you?

*snip of the posts from another site*

Hi "trentonramsey"......
Although there's no rule that I'm aware of regarding cutting and pasting replies here from another site if you choose to, you did give the link to the site to which you were referring if people were interested. What is the point in cutting and pasting from another site including names and posting status?

I suspect you may be our old friend "seadave" in "disguise"......

Oh, and as was already explained (by Dekka's Angel, IIRC)when this was first posted (by "seadave", back in August I think) government "policy" does not mean that it's a LAW. There is no legal recourse for this one so don't get everyone all hot and bothered. Take a few deep breaths and chill out.

~SecretGarden
~and Mr. Pink (now on Day 102 with NSC)
Old Sep 8th 2003, 5:04 am
BE Forum Addict

DCMark is just really niceDCMark is just really niceDCMark is just really niceDCMark is just really niceDCMark is just really niceDCMark is just really niceDCMark is just really niceDCMark is just really niceDCMark is just really niceDCMark is just really niceDCMark is just really nice

Rete, I was wondering if you have any evidence that illegal immigrants are voting in any large numbers and they have influenced elections?

I really doubt that illegal alliens are voting en masse when most Americans fail to vote themselves.

Originally posted by Rete
Why is it unbelievable? This has been occurring for the last 20 to 30 years. Illegals all know that if you can get yourself into the US and remain undiscovered that within ten years the US Government will offer up general amnesty? Hey the State's do it with income tax non-filers.

Beside Mr. Bush and many of other politicans have to give some crumbs to Mr. Fox to keep him happy about his citizens being allowed to remain in the US so that his population will still have the US currency those workers send home to their families to keep them afloat.

Also politicans know how easy it is for illegals to register to vote and by saying that they are for these programs that benefit illegals, they are really courting the illegal voters in their districts and countrywide if they are running for president. All you have to do is tick the yes I want to register to vote box when getting a driver's license and you are registered. No one asks for proof of US Citizenship. Now that is something you might want to sink your teeth into.

Rete
Old Sep 8th 2003, 5:10 am
BE Enthusiast

Pallyn has a spectacular aura aboutPallyn has a spectacular aura aboutPallyn has a spectacular aura about

All you have to do is tick the yes I want to register to vote box when getting a driver's license and you are registered. No one asks for proof of US Citizenship. Now that is something you might want to sink your teeth into.
I noticed that my husband got info about voting after he got his license. He knew that he wasn't allowed to vote here, so he threw it all away. I didn't realize he could actually have gone and case a vote based on that. I guess I assumed that there was some extra level that he would have had to go through before he exercised the franchise. Evidently not, real reassuring.
Old Sep 8th 2003, 5:35 am
BE Forum Addict

DCMark is just really niceDCMark is just really niceDCMark is just really niceDCMark is just really niceDCMark is just really niceDCMark is just really niceDCMark is just really niceDCMark is just really niceDCMark is just really niceDCMark is just really niceDCMark is just really nice

The extra level is the oath you must swear when registering. I know, I know....

Originally posted by Pallyn
All you have to do is tick the yes I want to register to vote box when getting a driver's license and you are registered. No one asks for proof of US Citizenship. Now that is something you might want to sink your teeth into.
I noticed that my husband got info about voting after he got his license. He knew that he wasn't allowed to vote here, so he threw it all away. I didn't realize he could actually have gone and case a vote based on that. I guess I assumed that there was some extra level that he would have had to go through before he exercised the franchise. Evidently not, real reassuring.
Old Sep 8th 2003, 6:38 am
Margaret

> > I heard on the news last night that California Govenor Davis is
    > > signing a bill to give drivers licenses to illegal aliens.

That was attempted here in Idaho last year and was shot down.

Giving amnesty to those here illegally. Now the concern is, "Will
this also promote more illegal immigration?"

Old Sep 8th 2003, 6:55 am
Concierge

Originally posted by DCMark
Rete, I was wondering if you have any evidence that illegal immigrants are voting in any large numbers and they have influenced elections?

I really doubt that illegal alliens are voting en masse when most Americans fail to vote themselves.

No I don't but am working diligently on doing just that and will be happy to share with you the numbers and facts. But you don't have to be a Phd to look objectively at the facts and demographics and see a logical pattern.

The issue of ticking a box on your DL form to register is a pet peeve of mine and I am working hard to put together numbers and facts to confront my political representatives so that the law can be changed.

Voting is a right reserved for US citizens. I remember when I turned 18 and was allowed to vote for the first time. I could not register to do so until I showed irrefutable proof that I was a US citizen. And that in my case was difficult because I was dealing with a worker at the voter registration office who did not know that a certificate of birth abroad certificate issued by the US Consulate abroad was proof of my US citizenship. I have never missed an election or a primary and hope that I am always able to perform this act of good citizenship which my birth has accorded me.

As for USC not voting, I don't know why so many of them don't. Is it complacency? Disgust or disenchantment with the candidates? The system? Ignorance of how one vote can turn the tide by casting a vote? While I am not a "my country right or wrong" person, I get teary eyed at the national anthem and cover my heart with my hand, and if wearing a hat remove it in a show of respect, I try to be a good citizen by voting, serving on juries without looking for excuses not to, etc. This is me.

As for your sentence that you don't believe illegals will vote when US citizens don't can be countered by the fact that legal PRs or illegals either do not know that they cannot vote simply because they are given an opportunity to register so easily. And you it isn't only uneducated people who do this as some people might think. Take the Brit in the midwest about a year ago who did just that when he renewed his driver's license. He was asked by the DMV clerk did he want to vote and he replied yes. His USC wife didn't even know that he couldn't. So if you are given the opportunity and don't know better would you not think it legal? And if you were a politican and your constitutency had a high legal and illegal immigration population would you not get the message out to them about easy registration? They don't have to out and out say you have to be a USC to register. A simple notation in a flyer, i.e. "Have you registered to vote? If not, call your voter registration department or be sure to mark yes on your driver's license renewal form."

If you are not worried about the ease of voter registration I urge you to look into the matter. You will be in for a surprise of what you discover.

Rete
Old Sep 8th 2003, 7:58 am
BE Forum Addict

Demographics? Now you reveal the true reason why you are against voter registration at the DMV (and why I am for it). Voter registration at the DMV encourages the vote to those who have most often been disenfranchised. The poor, the minorities, those who in the past have been discouraged from voting due to the poll tax, literacy tests, etc (mostly in the south yes) .

The same group that generally votes for the Democratic party. So when Clinton approved DMV voter registration, the right went gaga.

If you are against DMV voter registration because you want right-wing candidates to be successful, just say it. But please don't use ancedotal evidence that illegal aliens are voting as a reason. Do any illeagls vote? Of course. Is it probably less than 0.001% of all votes cast. Probably. And to me that is not worth the expansion of the franchise that DMV voting has brought. It has brought the vote to people who traditionally did not vote. Should they have sought out voting before? Of course. Perhaps being able to register to vote while getting a DL gave them that little push to get more invovled.

So where is this pattern? Pattern of what?

Mark

PS: I am glad you vote and serve on juries. That makes you a good citizen. But getting teary eyed during the national anthem does not. It has nothing to do with this subject. Mentioning it serves to emtionalize and weaken the rest of what you said.

Originally posted by Rete
No I don't but am working diligently on doing just that and will be happy to share with you the numbers and facts. But you don't have to be a Phd to look objectively at the facts and demographics and see a logical pattern.

The issue of ticking a box on your DL form to register is a pet peeve of mine and I am working hard to put together numbers and facts to confront my political representatives so that the law can be changed.

Voting is a right reserved for US citizens. I remember when I turned 18 and was allowed to vote for the first time. I could not register to do so until I showed irrefutable proof that I was a US citizen. And that in my case was difficult because I was dealing with a worker at the voter registration office who did not know that a certificate of birth abroad certificate issued by the US Consulate abroad was proof of my US citizenship. I have never missed an election or a primary and hope that I am always able to perform this act of good citizenship which my birth has accorded me.

As for USC not voting, I don't know why so many of them don't. Is it complacency? Disgust or disenchantment with the candidates? The system? Ignorance of how one vote can turn the tide by casting a vote? While I am not a "my country right or wrong" person, I get teary eyed at the national anthem and cover my heart with my hand, and if wearing a hat remove it in a show of respect, I try to be a good citizen by voting, serving on juries without looking for excuses not to, etc. This is me.

As for your sentence that you don't believe illegals will vote when US citizens don't can be countered by the fact that legal PRs or illegals either do not know that they cannot vote simply because they are given an opportunity to register so easily. And you it isn't only uneducated people who do this as some people might think. Take the Brit in the midwest about a year ago who did just that when he renewed his driver's license. He was asked by the DMV clerk did he want to vote and he replied yes. His USC wife didn't even know that he couldn't. So if you are given the opportunity and don't know better would you not think it legal? And if you were a politican and your constitutency had a high legal and illegal immigration population would you not get the message out to them about easy registration? They don't have to out and out say you have to be a USC to register. A simple notation in a flyer, i.e. "Have you registered to vote? If not, call your voter registration department or be sure to mark yes on your driver's license renewal form."

If you are not worried about the ease of voter registration I urge you to look into the matter. You will be in for a surprise of what you discover.

Rete
Old Sep 8th 2003, 8:21 am
Concierge

FWIW and its not worth anything but to me, I am not a registered Democrat. I don't hold with bleeding heart liberal which is how I see the Democratic Party. Demographics tend to show particular voting patterns in a particular area and is how most statistics are shown. You might be interested to learn that according to the US Census Bureau in 2000 8.5% of registered voters voted in that year's Presidential Election. Not a bad percentage.

I am not against DMV voter registration for the reasons you state but against it because anyone can use it to register without the need to provide proof of citizenship. Regardless of your economic, social, racial or educational status, every person has a simple way to register. Fill out the form. Have you looked at the forms? Yes they state you have to be a citizen but you can register online and/or via mail and never have to provide proof of citizenship. I would also like to see a person's legal status shown on driver's licenses as well. To my way of thinking anyone who feels it is an invasion of privacy thinks so only because they have something to hide and fear.

Rete

Originally posted by DCMark
Demographics? Now you reveal the true reason why you are against voter registration at the DMV (and why I am for it). Voter registration at the DMV encourages the vote to those who have most often been disenfranchised. The poor, the minorities, those who in the past have been discouraged from voting due to the poll tax, literacy tests, etc (mostly in the south yes) .

The same group that generally votes for the Democratic party. So when Clinton approved DMV voter registration, the right went gaga.

If you are against DMV voter registration because you want right-wing candidates to be successful, just say it. But please don't use ancedotal evidence that illegal aliens are voting as a reason. Do any illeagls vote? Of course. Is it probably less than 0.001% of all votes cast. Probably. And to me that is not worth the expansion of the franchise that DMV voting has brought. It has brought the vote to people who traditionally did not vote. Should they have sought out voting before? Of course. Perhaps being able to register to vote while getting a DL gave them that little push to get more invovled.

So where is this pattern? Pattern of what?

Mark

PS: I am glad you vote and serve on juries. That makes you a good citizen. But getting teary eyed during the national anthem does not. It has nothing to do with this subject. Mentioning it serves to emtionalize and weaken the rest of what you said.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.