delaying removal/deportation

Old Feb 11th 2009, 5:51 am
Forum Regular

cmstrick is an unknown quantity at this point
Default delaying removal/deportation

what is the difference in removel proceedings and deportation proceedings? legally, what is the longest either of them can be drawn out? i read 120 days but i do not know if that is true and 120 days from when?

i also read that there is a 60 day clock that can be stopped if the pe.rson files for a visa based on marriage even if they are in proceedings

the wording is very confusing.
can deportation/removal proceedings drag on for 3 years?
Old Feb 11th 2009, 12:09 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: delaying removal/deportation

Originally Posted by cmstrick
what is the difference in removel proceedings and deportation proceedings?
AFAIK, they both mean the same thing. "Removal" is the favored term these days... "deportation" is passé!

i also read that there is a 60 day clock that can be stopped if the pe.rson files for a visa based on marriage even if they are in proceedings
It's a myth.

Yes! It can also be taken care of in less than 24 hours! Generally, you are in detention during that time!

Ian
Old Feb 11th 2009, 1:52 pm
Account Closed

Folinskyinla is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: delaying removal/deportation

Originally Posted by cmstrick
what is the difference in removel proceedings and deportation proceedings? legally, what is the longest either of them can be drawn out? i read 120 days but i do not know if that is true and 120 days from when?

the wording is very confusing.
Hi:

A deportation proceeding is one started before April 1, 1997. There was also an "exclusion" proceeding.

On April 1, 1997, a new combined "removal" proceeding was instituted to replace the old deportation/exclusion scheme.

If you have a deportation or exclusion proceeding pending, it has already dragged on for over 12 years.

On removal proceedings -- it depends. And you may not want to do it. There is a "defense" strategy which used to be known as "KHLAP." However, that term has fallen into disuse. But I still like it -- it appeals to my sense of humor.