Deeks' I-864 questions

Old Jan 29th 2010, 11:06 am
Forum Regular

Deeks has much to be proud ofDeeks has much to be proud ofDeeks has much to be proud ofDeeks has much to be proud ofDeeks has much to be proud ofDeeks has much to be proud ofDeeks has much to be proud ofDeeks has much to be proud ofDeeks has much to be proud ofDeeks has much to be proud ofDeeks has much to be proud of
Default Deeks' I-864 questions

I apologise for intruding in this helpful thread!
My question is...
My UK husband has a good job, I haven't worked for 2 years, I have been in the UK for 18months, I have a decent savings account in the US (nothing fabulous). I am assuming these assets will not be enough to qualify financially as his sponsor, mostly because of my 2 years unemployed. I have two great friends, responsible with good incomes, who have volunteered to be co-sponsors. Am I correct in thinking a co-sponsor will be very necessary in our case?
Thank you very much for answers and tips.
Old Jan 29th 2010, 12:12 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Deeks' I-864 questions

Originally Posted by Deeks
I apologise for intruding in this helpful thread!
My question is...
My UK husband has a good job, I haven't worked for 2 years, I have been in the UK for 18months, I have a decent savings account in the US (nothing fabulous). I am assuming these assets will not be enough to qualify financially as his sponsor, mostly because of my 2 years unemployed. I have two great friends, responsible with good incomes, who have volunteered to be co-sponsors. Am I correct in thinking a co-sponsor will be very necessary in our case?
Thank you very much for answers and tips.
Hi Deeks,

I created a new thread for your specific case.

Yes, it sounds like you will need a joint Sponsor. As long as the joint sponsor is a USC or US PR, age 18 or over, living in the USA, they can act as joint sponsor for you. The joint sponsor must earn enough to cover their own household plus the immigrant. You can only have one joint sponsor per person immigrating.

Rene
Old Jan 29th 2010, 2:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

BritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond repute

a) I have a decent savings account in the US (nothing fabulous). I am assuming these assets will not be enough to qualify financially as his sponsor

b) mostly because of my 2 years unemployed.
a) As you don't say how much is in it, we can't comment on whether it's enough or not.

b) Employment status is irrelevant in your case. What matters is whether you have enough in assets to satisfy the I-864 requirement. If you do, you're good to go. If not, you need a joint-sponsor.

My wife and I immigrated with neither of us having jobs, as we had assets of sufficient value.
Old Jan 29th 2010, 3:29 pm
Forum Regular

Deeks has much to be proud ofDeeks has much to be proud ofDeeks has much to be proud ofDeeks has much to be proud ofDeeks has much to be proud ofDeeks has much to be proud ofDeeks has much to be proud ofDeeks has much to be proud ofDeeks has much to be proud ofDeeks has much to be proud ofDeeks has much to be proud of

Thank you both SOOO much!!

If a couple offers to be a joint sponsor do we just require info from one of them? not both husband and wife? or is it based on income tax forms and records?

What is the dept of immigration's stand on gifts? What I mean is, if my savings isn't quite up to the $54,636 required and a kind elderly relative offers to make up the difference is that an issue at all?
Not that I have kind elderly relatives lining up to give me cash, I was just wondering.

Oh and...
Do retirement accounts and their value have any place in all of this?
Thank you again!!!
Old Jan 29th 2010, 3:56 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

If a couple offers to be a joint sponsor do we just require info from one of them? not both husband and wife? or is it based on income tax forms and records?
It's based on the individual's current income. As a joint sponsor, only one person can fill out the I-864. If that person's income is not enough, then the spouse can contribute his/her income on the joint sponsor's I-864 by filling out an I-864A.

What is the dept of immigration's stand on gifts? What I mean is, if my savings isn't quite up to the $54,636 required and a kind elderly relative offers to make up the difference is that an issue at all?
Yep, it probably would be an issue. The ConOff will question a big chunk of money deposited recently to your account. You'd have to show where you got that money from, and the ConOff might think it's just a loan from someone to help you out...which is not acceptable.

Rene
Old Jan 29th 2010, 4:27 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Deeks, you might like this thread: http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=651759

If you are US citizen & living in the UK, the link in my signature is for you too.
Old Jan 29th 2010, 6:20 pm
Forum Regular

Many more thanks!!!