Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Declaring affiliations before becoming USC?

Declaring affiliations before becoming USC?

Old Jul 21st 2009, 2:05 pm
Just Joined

beatle2102 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Declaring affiliations before becoming USC?

I'm (finally!) starting the process to become a US citizen, and I'm a little confused by the 'affiliations' section (Part 10, items B8a and B8b) on the N-400:

'Have you ever been a member of or associated with any organisation, association, fund foundation, party, club, society, or similar group in the Untied States or any other place?'

It then goes on with a request to list the names of all of those organisations (and to attach the names to a separate piece of paper if I need more room!).

So I guess my question is -- what exactly are they asking for? If I've donated $20 to the ACLU two years ago, do I list that? I was a member of a church & state separation group that mostly met up for drinks and occasionally did a few tabling events -- is that the sort of thing I'd include as well (since it was mostly social in nature)? Or are they asking about groups of a more questionable nature such as the KKK or Westboro Baptist Church or whatever? It seems like all the other questions in the Affiliations section are 'supposed' to be checked no (and in my case, they all are), so I'm not sure if I'm overthinking this. And if I do end up having to list every organisation I've even vaguely been 'associated' with, I could end up writing a book (assuming I can even remember all of them), which is a bit of a disincentive.

What did y'all fill in for this section?
Old Jul 21st 2009, 2:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

Bill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Declaring affiliations before becoming USC?

Originally Posted by beatle2102
I'm a member of a couple of professional organizations, and belong to a few hobby clubs. I pay dues, have membership cards, and receive mailings from the above. Those are what I listed on the N400. At the interview, the officer simply asked if I were still a member of those organizations, I said "yes", and he moved on to the next item. You don't need to overthink this question. I'm not a lawyer, but my understanding is that omitting something is only a problem if membership would have been material to your natz process (eg. terrorist group). A few years ago in Cleveland, someone was stripped of US Citizenship because he didn't list an association with a group tied to Al-Qaida. I don't think anyone will track you down because you forgot to list Sam's Club.
Old Jul 21st 2009, 3:08 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

So I guess my question is -- what exactly are they asking for?
On my N-400, I listed all organizations to which I paid a membership fee (including the ACLU) but listed no religious affiliations at all. I didn't list my Sam's Club membership!

Ian
Old Jul 21st 2009, 3:42 pm
Account Closed

Folinskyinla is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm (finally!) starting the process to become a US citizen, and I'm a little confused by the 'affiliations' section (Part 10, items B8a and B8b) on the N-400:

'Have you ever been a member of or associated with any organisation, association, fund foundation, party, club, society, or similar group in the Untied States or any other place?'

It then goes on with a request to list the names of all of those organisations (and to attach the names to a separate piece of paper if I need more room!).

So I guess my question is -- what exactly are they asking for? If I've donated $20 to the ACLU two years ago, do I list that? I was a member of a church & state separation group that mostly met up for drinks and occasionally did a few tabling events -- is that the sort of thing I'd include as well (since it was mostly social in nature)? Or are they asking about groups of a more questionable nature such as the KKK or Westboro Baptist Church or whatever? It seems like all the other questions in the Affiliations section are 'supposed' to be checked no (and in my case, they all are), so I'm not sure if I'm overthinking this. And if I do end up having to list every organisation I've even vaguely been 'associated' with, I could end up writing a book (assuming I can even remember all of them), which is a bit of a disincentive.

Hi:

Ah, this is where the "materiality" on failure to disclose comes in. Although it is advisable to list everything, it also should be noted WHY they are asking the question. Being a member of the local chess club probably doesn't matter all that much. However, what if several members of Ku Klux Klan are members and you discuss things of interest to them other than chess?

Err on the side of caution and disclose. But, on the other hand, I would not lose sleep over it.

BTW, for everyone who has ever served in a military -- list that. For some reason, I have found that people from countries with universal conscription tend to forget that one.
Old Jul 21st 2009, 4:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

md95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Folinskyinla
BTW, for everyone who has ever served in a military -- list that. For some reason, I have found that people from countries with universal conscription tend to forget that one.
... and, depending on where and when you did your military service, also think carefully about the answer to question 10 on the N-400 ...
Old Jul 21st 2009, 5:52 pm
Country Member

Location: Moved from Georgetown to Round Rock, Texas. 15 miles closer to civilization.
g1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bill_S
A few years ago in Cleveland, someone was stripped of US Citizenship because he didn't list an association with a group tied to Al-Qaida. I don't think anyone will track you down because you forgot to list Sam's Club.
One can only hope that the Unites States Bowling Congress never affiliate to Al-Qaida otherwise I'm in deep shit for not declaring my membership on my N-400.