Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Dead man gets GC after 3-year AOS process.

Dead man gets GC after 3-year AOS process.

Old Jan 26th 2005, 5:42 pm
Forum Regular

RICKRGRS will become famous soon enoughRICKRGRS will become famous soon enough
Default Dead man gets GC after 3-year AOS process.

Hello fellow BE, here is a POWERLINE blog posting from today that is interesting. (this is the same blog that brought us "memogate" from Dan Rather) http://www.powerlineblog.com/

More Immigration Follies

Michelle Malkin has the immigration beat covered like no one else in the media. Today she reports on an astonishing story: the Immigration and Naturalization Service has awarded a green card to an immigrant from Siberia named Eugueni Kniazev. Only one catch: Mr. Kniazev was murdered in the World Trade Center on September 11, 2001.

That's right: the INS has no mechanism in place--still, more than three years after the September 11 attacks--to make sure that the people whose immigration status is under consideration are still alive. Which makes it pretty clear that they also have no idea whether those people are engaged in any undesirable (e.g., terrorist) activities.

There's this, too: I think we can safely assume that Mr. Kniazev applied for the change in his immigration status when he was still alive. Which means that it took the INS three and a half years, at a minimum, to respond to his request. And we know that wasn't because they were conducting such a thorough investigation. Can you imagine any enterprise outside the federal government where a person makes a request, three and a half years go by before the request is finally responded to, and this is considered acceptable performance?

A Department of Homeland Security offcial, when this fiasco was brought to his attention, responded that it is up to family members to notify the INS if an applicant for a change in status dies. Thus, while the incident was "unfortunate," the federal government makes no effort to prevent such occurrences. This answer was eerily reminiscent of the Washington election official who, explaining why it is so easy to commit voter fraud, said that "Instead of employing a rigorous screening process, they rely on people to be honest when registering or voting."

It's hard to say which is a worse mess: enforcement of immigration laws, or enforcement of voting laws.

Old Jan 26th 2005, 5:50 pm
K1 via London

Steffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Dead man gets GC after 3-year AOS process.

Originally Posted by RICKRGRS
Hello fellow BE, here is a POWERLINE blog posting from today that is interesting. (this is the same blog that brought us "memogate" from Dan Rather) http://www.powerlineblog.com/

More Immigration Follies

Michelle Malkin has the immigration beat covered like no one else in the media. Today she reports on an astonishing story: the Immigration and Naturalization Service has awarded a green card to an immigrant from Siberia named Eugueni Kniazev. Only one catch: Mr. Kniazev was murdered in the World Trade Center on September 11, 2001.

That's right: the INS has no mechanism in place--still, more than three years after the September 11 attacks--to make sure that the people whose immigration status is under consideration are still alive. Which makes it pretty clear that they also have no idea whether those people are engaged in any undesirable (e.g., terrorist) activities.

There's this, too: I think we can safely assume that Mr. Kniazev applied for the change in his immigration status when he was still alive. Which means that it took the INS three and a half years, at a minimum, to respond to his request. And we know that wasn't because they were conducting such a thorough investigation. Can you imagine any enterprise outside the federal government where a person makes a request, three and a half years go by before the request is finally responded to, and this is considered acceptable performance?

A Department of Homeland Security offcial, when this fiasco was brought to his attention, responded that it is up to family members to notify the INS if an applicant for a change in status dies. Thus, while the incident was "unfortunate," the federal government makes no effort to prevent such occurrences. This answer was eerily reminiscent of the Washington election official who, explaining why it is so easy to commit voter fraud, said that "Instead of employing a rigorous screening process, they rely on people to be honest when registering or voting."

It's hard to say which is a worse mess: enforcement of immigration laws, or enforcement of voting laws.

Typical. *sigh*

The only thing that I want to know: how was he given a GC without an interview?!
Old Jan 26th 2005, 5:53 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Ms. Malkin does an editorial column for the New York Daily News once a week and usually it is always about immigration. Once in a great while it isn't but even those are thought provoking. Another good columnist who deals with immigration editorials but from the Hispanic slant is Luis Roderiquez

More Immigration Follies

Old Jan 26th 2005, 5:54 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steffi
Typical. *sigh*

The only thing that I want to know: how was he given a GC without an interview?!
There are several avenues to a green card that don't require interviews. One such avenue is through the H-1B visa.
Old Jan 26th 2005, 5:55 pm
The Missus

SecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steffi
Typical. *sigh*

Exactly.
There isn't enough information in the article to form an opinion on what's really gone on. Was it his first PR card? Was it a replacement? To get the first one, he would have had to interview before 9/11......did his namecheck stall out?

Articles like these irritate me, because even though there are certainly changes that need to be made for efficiency, there never seems to be enough detail in them to make a good determination about the circumstances.

Grrr.

~SecretGarden
Old Jan 26th 2005, 5:58 pm
The Missus

SecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rete
There are several avenues to a green card that don't require interviews. One such avenue is through the H-1B visa.
Damn. I jumped too soon. But still, it seems to me that most articles like these are incomplete or just plain incorrect in their conclusions. I'm certainly not sticking up for USCIS, but sometimes there are explanations for things if you dig deep enough.

Right?

~SG
Old Jan 26th 2005, 6:16 pm

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

Rete,

Is Ms. Malkin still referring to the INS in her columns, or was that term put in there by the blog report on her column?

Regards, JEff

Originally Posted by Rete
Ms. Malkin does an editorial column for the New York Daily News once a week and usually it is always about immigration. Once in a great while it isn't but even those are thought provoking. Another good columnist who deals with immigration editorials but from the Hispanic slant is Luis Roderiquez
Old Jan 26th 2005, 6:27 pm
Concierge

Originally Posted by jeffreyhy
Rete,

Is Ms. Malkin still referring to the INS in her columns, or was that term put in there by the blog report on her column?

Regards, JEff
She still uses the INS tag. I know not the brightest bulb in the pack when it comes to getting facts 100% correct which does diminish her credibility.
Old Jan 26th 2005, 6:30 pm
Concierge

Originally Posted by SecretGarden
Damn. I jumped too soon. But still, it seems to me that most articles like these are incomplete or just plain incorrect in their conclusions. I'm certainly not sticking up for USCIS, but sometimes there are explanations for things if you dig deep enough.

Right?

~SG
Over the past year look at any of the multiple of immigration horror stories that have come to press. None of them are 100% accurate and you and I and countless others who are familiar with USCIS rules and regulations to some small degree spot the errors. But they are out for headlines, not accuracy, and let's face it, I know speaking for myself alone, until seven years ago, I knew nothing factual about what it takes to emigrate to this country. I would wager that 70% of all the readers were as naive as I was back then.
Old Jan 26th 2005, 7:16 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

He will be in trouble.. changed address with using an AR11

The card was for removal of conditions...

Last edited by Ray; Jan 26th 2005 at 7:18 pm.
Old Jan 26th 2005, 7:39 pm

Trent is an unknown quantity at this point

This is so shocking! It was for removal of conditions - not for H1-B.

The link below also has the actual letter sent by USCIS:

http://michellemalkin.com/archives/001336.htm
Old Jan 26th 2005, 7:50 pm
Concierge

Originally Posted by Trent
This is so shocking! It was for removal of conditions - not for H1-B.

The link below also has the actual letter sent by USCIS:

http://michellemalkin.com/archives/001336.htm

Why is it shocking? He was not awarded a green card as she tried to say. His conditions were removed from an existing green card. He never lost the green card status while the removal was pending. And it is not the INS but the USCIS. As for one reader posting in the blog that anyone could assume his identity at 26 Fed Plaza and get his green card, not possible. The photos will not look like the one on file; they will not have the old green card to return; their fingerprint on the card will not match.

We all know that communication is not an unbroken line which is where the problem lies.
Old Jan 26th 2005, 8:19 pm
Account Closed

Folinskyinla is an unknown quantity at this point

More Immigration Follies

Hi:

I took a look at the blog and the underlying article. The guy got his green card in 1998 as a conditional resident. Presumably he filed the I-751 in 2000. It was the ***I-751*** that was finally approved. I can envision a person with "manana" not bothering CIS about this. Providing he did not move, he was NOT obligated to contact CIS about a damn thing!

If there should be any outrage, it should be that it took nearly five years to adjudicate.

It is similar to the "3-11" disaster that hit the former INS in 2002 -- Mohammad Atta had been approved for his student status in August 2001 but the Flight School got NOTICE 7 months later.