Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Daughter lost green card in England.

Daughter lost green card in England.

Old Aug 10th 2023, 3:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

Ja5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Daughter lost green card in England.

Originally Posted by Rete
How can you abandon what status she does not hold. She is a US citizen.
I can’t send off her uk passport as she needs it to leave the country on august 19th.
Old Aug 10th 2023, 3:22 pm
tht
DE-UK-NZ-IE-US... the TYP

tht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ja5on
thanks. It says no record found. I’ve spoken with her and she doesn’t have any intentions of moving here. I’m going to give her a month to find her greencard when she gets home. After that I’ll file I-407 to abandon her greencard. That should give it enough time for her to come out on ESTA st Christmas. She’s realistically going to be living/working/going to school in the uk for the next 5 years at least. Other than me and her step mom/half sisters, all of her family live in the UK.

thanks everyone for the advice.
Make sure you are searching the right details.. mine pulled up a 5 year history….

If the details are right that should tell you something…..

all my entries on a VW, visa and as an LPR were on there… I used them when doing my N400… but as a USC it does not show up anymore because you don’t get an I-94…

You can only abandon LPR if you are an LPR…. I think you need to read some of the the other posts….
Old Aug 10th 2023, 3:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

Ja5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by tht
Make sure you are searching the right details.. mine pulled up a 5 year history….

If the details are right that should tell you something…..

all my entries on a VW, visa and as an LPR were on there… I used them when doing my N400… but as a USC it does not show up anymore because you don’t get an I-94…

You can only abandon LPR if you are an LPR…. I think you need to read some of the the other posts….

i need to see if I can apply for her passport without sending off her British one if that’s the case. We will be traveling to nyc this weekend for a few days.
Old Aug 10th 2023, 3:37 pm
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute

I can’t send off her uk passport as she needs it to leave the country on august 19th.
There is a typo in your post - UK is not US. Based upon your posts, she has yet to obtain her US passport.

BTW, you previously stated you completed an I864W because she was a minor child of a U.S. citizen. The the appropriate box on the I-864W explicitly states the waiver is because she would automatically become a U.S. citizen.
Old Aug 10th 2023, 3:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by S Folinsky
There is a typo in your post - UK is not US. Based upon your posts, she has yet to obtain her US passport.

BTW, you previously stated you completed an I864W because she was a minor child of a U.S. citizen. The the appropriate box on the I-864W explicitly states the waiver is because she would automatically become a U.S. citizen.

it is not a typo. I cannot send her British passport off when I apply for her us passport. She is leaving the country on august 19th. They would require it to be sent as evidence of how she had entered. I had planned on applying and sending her greencard, but she didn’t bring it/can’t find it.

I just called to try to get an emergency appointment at a passport agency. Nothing is available in dc/pa/ny. I guess she could take my certificate of citizenship and apply for one at the embassy in London.
Old Aug 10th 2023, 4:53 pm
Forum Regular

EdgeAA has a reputation beyond reputeEdgeAA has a reputation beyond reputeEdgeAA has a reputation beyond reputeEdgeAA has a reputation beyond reputeEdgeAA has a reputation beyond reputeEdgeAA has a reputation beyond reputeEdgeAA has a reputation beyond reputeEdgeAA has a reputation beyond reputeEdgeAA has a reputation beyond reputeEdgeAA has a reputation beyond reputeEdgeAA has a reputation beyond repute

Does she need to send in her British passport to get a US passport? I don't recall sending my UK one off when applying for my US passport the first time (maybe I'm wrong) but I thought it just needed documents proving US citizenship.
Old Aug 10th 2023, 4:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by EdgeAA
Does she need to send in her British passport to get a US passport? I don't recall sending my UK one off when applying for my US passport the first time (maybe I'm wrong) but I thought it just needed documents proving US citizenship.
I would think she would have to as to prove she has legal presence since she doesn’t have her green card. I could make an appointment at the post office I guess and ask them.
Old Aug 10th 2023, 5:47 pm
tht
DE-UK-NZ-IE-US... the TYP

tht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond repute

I would think she would have to as to prove she has legal presence since she doesn’t have her green card. I could make an appointment at the post office I guess and ask them.
There are many USC who have never had a passport and are here legally. If she did become a USC the green card would not be proof of anything, they taken them anyway at the naturalization ceremony.

The post office only does “acceptance” they check you have all the docs listed on the form, take the fee and send it away. I don’t think they will give you any advice.

Assuming she has no state ID / Driving lisence etc they may want the UK passport as photo ID, your bigger deal is getting something to prove her US citizenship, I think there is a N600 form or similar that his used to get a certificate of Citizenship, but it may be age dependent.

The state.gov site details what can be provided:
https://travel.state.gov/content/tra...-evidence.html

As with all these things they take time, and that not aligning with travel plans.
Old Aug 10th 2023, 9:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

postbox134 has a reputation beyond reputepostbox134 has a reputation beyond reputepostbox134 has a reputation beyond reputepostbox134 has a reputation beyond reputepostbox134 has a reputation beyond reputepostbox134 has a reputation beyond reputepostbox134 has a reputation beyond reputepostbox134 has a reputation beyond reputepostbox134 has a reputation beyond reputepostbox134 has a reputation beyond reputepostbox134 has a reputation beyond repute

Can the OP's daughter fly to the US via Canada, then present to the CBP officer as a USC. Provide proof via the entry stamp as GC holder and your status as a USC, and other supporting paperwork, get told off for not having a US Passport, apply for one with an expedited processing once in the US.

Alternatively, do the same at the US Embassy in London.
Old Aug 11th 2023, 12:09 am
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by postbox134
Can the OP's daughter fly to the US via Canada, then present to the CBP officer as a USC. Provide proof via the entry stamp as GC holder and your status as a USC, and other supporting paperwork, get told off for not having a US Passport, apply for one with an expedited processing once in the US.

Alternatively, do the same at the US Embassy in London.
OP’s daughter is already in the US but the plan is to have her depart in a little over a week.

As already mentioned, AmEmbassy London has an American Citizen Services office in its Consular Section.

OP has been advised to seek legal assistance.
Old Nov 23rd 2023, 10:54 pm
Democracy advocate

Cape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by S Folinsky
An I-407 is affirmative abandonment. That said, it may be possible to preserve LPR status even during a long absence(s).

In fact, there is an unpublished BIA case where LPR was found to have survived filing of an I-407. Out of idle curiosity, what is the basis of your belief that an ESTA would be forthcoming after the I-407. I would like to know.
​​​
I I-407'd my LPR in 2016, a few years later when travelling to the US (on ESTA) the border agent was giving me the usual shakedown but being pretty friendly with it and I explained I had abandoned my LPR a few years earlier and he said "you can get that back quite easily if you apply" - I though that rather strange at the time and don't see any particular route to it. Am I missing something?
Old Nov 24th 2023, 4:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Cape Blue
I I-407'd my LPR in 2016, a few years later when travelling to the US (on ESTA) the border agent was giving me the usual shakedown but being pretty friendly with it and I explained I had abandoned my LPR a few years earlier and he said "you can get that back quite easily if you apply" - I though that rather strange at the time and don't see any particular route to it. Am I missing something?
she can still easily get her lpr again until she’s 21. She’s now working at British aerospace and they’re paying for all her education. She’ll not be moving here. I can probably still apply for her to get citizenship with just her passport.
Old Nov 24th 2023, 6:51 pm
BE Commentator

she can still easily get her lpr again until she’s 21. She’s now working at British aerospace and they’re paying for all her education. She’ll not be moving here. I can probably still apply for her to get citizenship with just her passport.
Have you not read this thread. Based on the information which YOU have posted, your daughter IS ALREADY an AmCit. She holds DUAL nationality.

Old Nov 24th 2023, 9:49 pm
Democracy advocate

Cape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry, my post was to Folinsky and was a bit of a thread hijack about my own LPR.
Old Nov 24th 2023, 11:12 pm
BE Commentator

Originally Posted by Cape Blue
Sorry, my post was to Folinsky and was a bit of a thread hijack about my own LPR.
Your post was not a hijack. Your post was a response to OP’s post which was prior to his revelation of his daughter’s derivative naturalization. OP’s latest post appears to ignore the facts that HE later disclosed.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.