Cutting it close

Old Jul 9th 2008, 8:00 pm
Loving the Pacific NW

Location: From Kildare, Ireland to Vancouver, BC to Portland, Oregon
Boylerz has much to be proud ofBoylerz has much to be proud ofBoylerz has much to be proud ofBoylerz has much to be proud ofBoylerz has much to be proud ofBoylerz has much to be proud ofBoylerz has much to be proud ofBoylerz has much to be proud ofBoylerz has much to be proud ofBoylerz has much to be proud ofBoylerz has much to be proud of
Default Cutting it close

Hi all,

Quick Q - As some of you may know I am here on a L1 visa. My wife and I got married a few months back and are in the AOS process.

Now this is where it gets tricky. We leave for Ireland a week from Monday for a vacation and I intend on handing in my notice in work this Friday. It gives me two weeks work notice (I work a weird schedule). I of course then need to use my AP to go travelling as my L1 will become null and void. I got my an email to say that my AP went into the mail yesterday. No sign of it today and by looking at peoples timelines it appears it can take a few days. I am just worried that it won't be here by Friday and then I will start to panic a little bit!

Any advice out there? How long have people's AP's taken after that the email?

Thanks guys

Boylerz
Old Jul 9th 2008, 8:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

English Muffin has a reputation beyond reputeEnglish Muffin has a reputation beyond reputeEnglish Muffin has a reputation beyond reputeEnglish Muffin has a reputation beyond reputeEnglish Muffin has a reputation beyond reputeEnglish Muffin has a reputation beyond reputeEnglish Muffin has a reputation beyond reputeEnglish Muffin has a reputation beyond reputeEnglish Muffin has a reputation beyond reputeEnglish Muffin has a reputation beyond reputeEnglish Muffin has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Cutting it close

I got an email from CRIS saying that my AP was approved on 10th June and I got the hard copy in the mail on 16th June.
Old Jul 9th 2008, 10:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

BritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond repute

You need to start figuring out what you are going to do if it doesn't arrive, which is a distinct possibility.

You can:

a) Print out the email and hope that satisfies the proder control agent on the way back in (I wouldn't bank on it!)

b) Get someone to monitor your snail mail then fedex the AP to you in Ireland

c) Cancel your trip
Old Jul 9th 2008, 10:32 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BritishGuy36
You need to start figuring out what you are going to do if it doesn't arrive, which is a distinct possibility.

You can:

a) Print out the email and hope that satisfies the proder control agent on the way back in (I wouldn't bank on it!)

b) Get someone to monitor your snail mail then fedex the AP to you in Ireland

c) Cancel your trip
I think only c) will work for the OP. He definitely needs AP in hand before leaving the USA, so that leaves out b). He can try a) but I can pretty much guarantee without the original AP in hand, he won't be let back in.

Rene
Old Jul 9th 2008, 10:41 pm
Loving the Pacific NW

Boylerz has much to be proud ofBoylerz has much to be proud ofBoylerz has much to be proud ofBoylerz has much to be proud ofBoylerz has much to be proud ofBoylerz has much to be proud ofBoylerz has much to be proud ofBoylerz has much to be proud ofBoylerz has much to be proud ofBoylerz has much to be proud ofBoylerz has much to be proud of

Thanks for the input guys. Defo cannot do option C! I would just stay on at the job for little longer or something.

What I don't understand is that if it went into the mail yesterday surely it should only take 2 or 3 days to arrive? It has 9 business days to arrive. Surely it has to be here by then? Wish they would fedex it!

Boylerz
Old Jul 9th 2008, 10:43 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boylerz
We leave for Ireland a week from Monday for a vacation and I intend on handing in my notice in work this Friday.
Why don't you simply delay handing in your notice until after you return?

Ian
Old Jul 9th 2008, 10:44 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the input guys. Defo cannot do option C! I would just stay on at the job for little longer or something.

What I don't understand is that if it went into the mail yesterday surely it should only take 2 or 3 days to arrive? It has 9 business days to arrive. Surely it has to be here by then? Wish they would fedex it!

Boylerz
Good luck, I hope you get it before your trip. Whatever you do, do NOT leave the USA until you have that original AP in hand. If you leave before that, you'll abandon everything you've done for your AOS, and will have to start over with an Immigrant Visa.

Rene
Old Jul 9th 2008, 10:46 pm
Loving the Pacific NW

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
Why don't you simply delay handing in your notice until after you return?

Ian
Good point but I don't have enough vacation and if I did I would not get the time off. Might have the go down the "a relative died route"

Boylerz
Old Jul 9th 2008, 10:47 pm
Loving the Pacific NW

Originally Posted by Noorah101
Good luck, I hope you get it before your trip. Whatever you do, do NOT leave the USA until you have that original AP in hand. If you leave before that, you'll abandon everything you've done for your AOS, and will have to start over with an Immigrant Visa.

Rene
Rene,

Do they check for your AP before you leave the States? I would have thought it would just be for when you return at immigration.

Boylerz
Old Jul 9th 2008, 10:53 pm

Rene,

Do they check for your AP before you leave the States? I would have thought it would just be for when you return at immigration.

Boylerz
It's when you return. But if they see you left the USA before the date on the AP, you're in trouble. There's no way of knowing what date is on the AP until you actually receive it.

Rene
Old Jul 9th 2008, 10:55 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Rene,

Boylerz
The law says the AP must be in hand before leaving.

The mail notices don't always correspond with actual going-to-the-mailbox with CIS. I don't know what to tell you other than Don't Panic.
Old Jul 9th 2008, 11:31 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

The OP said he is leaving a week from Monday...if he's been notified it was mailed yesterday surely he's got a good chance of receiving it before he leaves on the 21st.
Old Jul 10th 2008, 3:51 am
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
The OP said he is leaving a week from Monday...if he's been notified it was mailed yesterday surely he's got a good chance of receiving it before he leaves on the 21st.
They probably mean it went to the printing and mailing area ...
not actually mailed
Old Jul 10th 2008, 9:49 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by meauxna
The law says the AP must be in hand before leaving.

Hmmmm it does?
Old Jul 10th 2008, 6:08 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rete
Hmmmm it does?
hmmm, reading more closely (but not too close) I see that you must be 'approved' before leaving.
The trick is, knowing exactly when you were approved...

thanks, Rete.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.