Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Criminal conviction: what are my chances?

Criminal conviction: what are my chances?

Old May 15th 2007, 3:08 am
Just Joined

signaller is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Criminal conviction: what are my chances?

Hello,
I have a problem that I hope you good people can advise me on:

In 1990 I was serving with the British army in Germany and got into a fight (after a guy hit my girlfriend if that's relevant) which resulted in me hitting somebody with a glass. Mad I know. A year later I was convicted by court martial of 'unlawful and malicious wounding' and sentenced to 11 months detention at MCTC (army prison). I served 7 months and was then released back to my unit.

I had always thought military matters just stayed in the military but it seems I do have a criminal record. A couple of years ago I was stopped by the police in the UK (just a routine check) and they were just curious about what the heck I got up to in Germany.

So, I'm pretty sure I'm ineligible to enter the US under the VWP. But am I even eligible for a visa at all? Reading some of the posts here it seems not due to the seriousness of the offence. Shame really, having to pay for a moment of madness as an 18-year old. I haven't been any trouble all before or since then.

BTW, I only wanted to visit my sister (she is married to a US citizen). I don't want to work or anything.

Thanks for your time reading this. Hope to hear some good news, but won't hold my breath.
Old May 15th 2007, 3:12 am
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Criminal conviction: what are my chances?

http://www.usembassy.org.uk/cons_new/visa/niv/vwp.html

you apply for a B visitor's visa.
Old May 15th 2007, 3:16 am
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Chances look pretty good to me: a single offense committed more than 15 years ago. Get all the documentation for it and apply to the consulate for a B2 visitors visa. Also, don't overlook the proof of ties to the UK in your application. Good luck!
Old May 15th 2007, 8:29 am
Banned

IPOTRADER is an unknown quantity at this point

Who is a recommended visa service here in london to help with these sort of things?
Old May 15th 2007, 12:27 pm
Banned

Location: Orlando,Florida,living in Buckinghamshire for next 6 weeks.
YankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond repute

Why would you need a visa to come here for a short visit?I thought visa's were for extented stays such as living or wanting to work in the States.
Old May 15th 2007, 12:30 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by YankeemovingAbroad
Why would you need a visa to come here for a short visit?I thought visa's were for extented stays such as living or wanting to work in the States.
Brits visit the US on the VWP...but because of the OP's criminal record he cannot use this...therefore he will have to apply for a different visa via the US Embassy.
Old May 15th 2007, 12:33 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by IPOTRADER
Who is a recommended visa service here in london to help with these sort of things?
You have to go for interview ..you do it yourself
http://www.usembassy.org.uk/cons_new/visa/niv/b2.html
Old May 15th 2007, 12:37 pm
Banned

YankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Brits visit the US on the VWP...but because of the OP's criminal record he cannot use this...therefore he will have to apply for a different visa via the US Embassy.
Americans don't need a visa to enter the uk,why would there be any difference for brits entering america?
Old May 15th 2007, 12:41 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Americans don't need a visa to enter the uk,why would there be any difference for brits entering america?
In certain circumstances ..yes they do ....
Old May 15th 2007, 12:45 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Brits have to fill out a VWP on the plane to give into the US Immigration official at the POE. Part of this form is stapled into your PP and removed when you leave the US. This allows entry to the US...a person with a criminal conviction cannot use the VWP.

I have no idea why we have to use a VWP and Americans entering the UK don't.

Last edited by Jerseygirl; May 15th 2007 at 12:47 pm.
Old May 15th 2007, 1:06 pm
Banned

Brits have to fill out a VWP on the plane to give into the US Immigration official at the POE. Part of this form is stapled into your PP and removed when you leave the US. This allows entry to the US...a person with a criminal conviction cannot use the VWP.

I have no idea why we have to use a VWP and Americans entering the UK don't.
I gotcha.Another resulting effect from 9/11.Its ashame brits have to endure such inconviences.The times we live in.
Old May 15th 2007, 1:07 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

I gotcha.Another resulting effect from 9/11.Its ashame brits have to endure such inconviences.The times we live in.
No nothing to do with 9/11...it's been required for as long as I can remember.
Old May 15th 2007, 1:10 pm
Ray

No nothing to do with 9/11...it's been required for as long as I can remember.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Visa_Waiver_Program
Old May 15th 2007, 1:11 pm
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

9/11 is often used as an explanation or excuse for any governmental regulation even when it's not true.

The VWP and overstay bans have been in place for a good while now.
Old May 15th 2007, 2:01 pm
Banned

IPOTRADER is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Ray
You have to go for interview ..you do it yourself
http://www.usembassy.org.uk/cons_new/visa/niv/b2.html
Ahh so ring them make an appointment (which will be in a few months?) take along some forms from your link and thats that?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.