Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Crimes Involving Moral Turpitude, a broad overview

Crimes Involving Moral Turpitude, a broad overview

Old Sep 4th 2008, 7:49 pm
Guttural Brumerican

Titchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Crimes Involving Moral Turpitude, a broad overview

Originally Posted by fatbrit
In my opinion it's a collection of bigotry made to look like science. But here's Wikipedia's take: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diagnos...ntal_Disorders
I'm a Birmingham City fan.. I'm f**ked
Old Sep 4th 2008, 7:56 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Titchski
I'm a Birmingham City fan.. I'm f**ked
I believe the practice of masochism is indeed still in there. Perhaps us Americans will make it into the 21st century in the next few decades if we can shut the bloody soccer moms up.
Old Sep 4th 2008, 9:18 pm
Guttural Brumerican

Titchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fatbrit
I believe the practice of masochism is indeed still in there. Perhaps us Americans will make it into the 21st century in the next few decades if we can shut the bloody soccer moms up.
How about the hockey moms?
Old Sep 4th 2008, 9:33 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

How about the hockey moms?
Family and sexual peccadilloes are strictly out of bounds when discussing the GOP.
Old Sep 5th 2008, 7:39 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

I wonder if, theoretically, taking cocodamol in the UK without a prescription (as it is an over the counter tablet in the UK) would be construed as "taking drugs" in the US, as codeine in any form is a prescribed drug?
Codeine (up to 8 mg) is an OTC drug in Canada also, but is a Sechedule 1 narcotic in the US. If you have a prescription for it, no problem, but if you bring codeine from Canada into the US (even though it's OTC in Canada, and for personal use), you can still be charged with smuggling if you don't declare it at the border! Of course, if you do declare it at the border, you risk it being confiscated! Hmm... to declare or not to declare!

If it is, I'm screwed if I finally do file my N400!
It wasn't a problem for me!

Ian
Old Oct 14th 2008, 12:35 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Tracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond repute

Another poster put this link up in another thread, and Mr. F said it was a good one. So I thought it merited inclusion in this thread, for easier reference.

List of what is/is not to be considered CIMT

http://www.state.gov/documents/organization/86942.pdf
Old Oct 22nd 2008, 3:00 pm
Forum Regular

Phil-UK will become famous soon enough

Most of this talks about convictions but the question also mentions arrests. What if you had been arrested and released a few hours later without conviction or record?

My story:
I once sold a car when I was 20 and the git who bought it paid me with a stolen cheque (he and his mates were on a spending spree with a stolen cheque book). The following day I went to the bank to cash it and after wondering why the bank was taking so long to hand over my money there was a tap on my shoulder, when I turned around Two Police officers asked what I was doing in possession of a stolen cheque?
I explained I had just sold my car, unfortunately I was dumb enough to accept a cheque
Not having any reason to believe me I was arrested and taken to the Police station. Once they had established my story and realised I was not part of the 'gang' I was taken to make a statement and give a description, etc and then released. I've never been in trouble with the Police before or since so it was an ordeal for me but at least it was over pretty quickly.
The worse part was the embarrassment of being marched out of the bank like a thief with everyone staying
Now reading the London US embassy website it states I must get a visa if you have been arrested, period. They don't even mention CIMT, surely I dont fall under CIMT, do I ?
Old Oct 22nd 2008, 6:27 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Phil-UK
Most of this talks about convictions but the question also mentions arrests. What if you had been arrested and released a few hours later without conviction or record?

My story:
I once sold a car when I was 20 and the git who bought it paid me with a stolen cheque (he and his mates were on a spending spree with a stolen cheque book). The following day I went to the bank to cash it and after wondering why the bank was taking so long to hand over my money there was a tap on my shoulder, when I turned around Two Police officers asked what I was doing in possession of a stolen cheque?
I explained I had just sold my car, unfortunately I was dumb enough to accept a cheque
Not having any reason to believe me I was arrested and taken to the Police station. Once they had established my story and realised I was not part of the 'gang' I was taken to make a statement and give a description, etc and then released. I've never been in trouble with the Police before or since so it was an ordeal for me but at least it was over pretty quickly.
The worse part was the embarrassment of being marched out of the bank like a thief with everyone staying
Now reading the London US embassy website it states I must get a visa if you have been arrested, period. They don't even mention CIMT, surely I dont fall under CIMT, do I ?
Read the I-94 ..can you say no to everthing

http://amsterdam.usconsulate.gov/upl.../I-94_back.jpg
Old Nov 6th 2008, 11:49 pm
Just Joined

abc12345 is an unknown quantity at this point

Whats the difference between aggravated drunk driving and simple drunk driving? thanks
Old Nov 7th 2008, 12:13 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by abc12345
Whats the difference between aggravated drunk driving and simple drunk driving? thanks
Google is your friend... only took me only 20 seconds to discover the difference.

Ian
Old Nov 7th 2008, 12:40 am
Just Joined

ok im sorry got it now.
one other question: does falsely reporting a crime fall under the crimes involving moral turpitude as posted by Ray above?, because thats a point i was sentenced for, that may be fall under moral turpitude and i want to get a visa waiver...

Thank you!

Last edited by abc12345; Nov 7th 2008 at 1:05 am.
Old Nov 7th 2008, 4:32 pm
Account Closed

Folinskyinla is an unknown quantity at this point

ok im sorry got it now.
one other question: does falsely reporting a crime fall under the crimes involving moral turpitude as posted by Ray above?, because thats a point i was sentenced for, that may be fall under moral turpitude and i want to get a visa waiver...

Thank you!
Hi:

You pose an excellent question. However, it is one that can't be answered easily in an on-line forum.
Old Nov 7th 2008, 4:39 pm
Account Closed

Folinskyinla is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi:

The specific elements vary from jurisdiction to jurisdiction. I would call it "drunk driving with an additional factor." Was there injury to person or property? Are there prior DUI/DWI convictions?

I recall a case where the DUI also included a driving without a license, the license having been suspended as part of a prior DUI conviction. If memory serves me correct, the moral turpitude arose from driving to the bar to drink despite the earlier conviction.

By way of some "CYA" language: Although I am responding to your question, I am not answering it. This response is general in nature and is in no way intended as legal advice. In fact, this response is not legal advice in any way.

Further note: In an effort to avoid being "obscure" and to avoid terms that may not be understood I am posting a link for assistance of the reader: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cover_your_ass

Last edited by Folinskyinla; Nov 7th 2008 at 4:42 pm. Reason: Add a defintion for clarity. Sorry for use of jargon. :(
Old Nov 7th 2008, 5:43 pm
Just Joined

1,5 years ago i had an car accident, due to drunk driving. I was 18 years old at that point.
I was found guilty of: careless driving, absconding after a traffic accident, bodily injury caused by negligence, affecting a criminal offense.
I was sentenced to 15 months of drivers license removal, and had to take a traffic course. Juvenile Law was applied. Some of the maximum sentences are over one year of imprisonment.

What happend was that I was drunk and drove with a friend in my fathers car. Then I hit a Lamp by the street, my friend was very lightly injured. Due to my drunkness i said that another person was driving not me. when i had sobered up, I called the police and told them that i was the one who drove.

There were no other charges before or after this incident.
Old Nov 7th 2008, 5:49 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Folinskyinla

Further note: In an effort to avoid being "obscure" and to avoid terms that may not be understood I am posting a link for assistance of the reader: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cover_your_ass

thank you for the edit.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.