Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Credit Cards for permanent residents?

Credit Cards for permanent residents?

Old Sep 17th 2001, 7:16 pm
Steve & Lisa

Steve's first visa was a nextcard and was fairly easy for him to get. You can find
out instantly online if you've been approved. www.nextcard.com

Lisa www.britsintheus.com

>
    >
    >
    >
emerica)
    >
to
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

Old Sep 17th 2001, 7:20 pm
Chris Payne

Hi there everyone,

This morning I got my SSN# through - yes I'm going to be opening my bank account
today through my wife (Who is an associate at bank of emerica) and the card they
issue automatically is a debit visa card. What I want to know is, are there any cards
for people who have just become residents and who are just starting to build their
credit history?

Any help would be great

Thanks

Chris

Old Sep 17th 2001, 7:49 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Don't believe they will issue credit cards with only a social security number. Don't you need a job in order to qualify for a card?

You can always have your wife place you on one of her cards and if her history is good, then you will eventually have good history as well and even better history when you are employed.

Old Sep 17th 2001, 8:16 pm
Paulgani

>
    >

Use this information as you wish. My company has had dozens of employees over the
past 6 years, and they have frequently applied for credit for credit cards, car
loans, and home loans. In 6 years, I have never once had to field a call or letter
for verification of employment for a credit card or auto loan, not even for 18 year
old employees with no credit history whatsoever. However, I have always been
requested to provide written employment and salary verification for home mortgage
applications.

One or more of my former employees, armed with this information, have inflated their
actual salary on certain credit applications, with the consequence that within
several weeks, they received additional credit offers from various companies at far
superior terms than they had prior to inflating their salary on credit applications.

Paulgani

Old Sep 17th 2001, 8:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

Ameriscot is an unknown quantity at this point

I haven't had any problems applying for credit cards - I managed (as an experiment) to open several accounts in my own name within a few weeks of my arrival in the US, even though I don't work, rent my house and have lots of dependents.

Nextcard seems to have the best reputation among new immigrants and you can get an answer straightaway online. http://www.nextcard.com

Old Sep 17th 2001, 9:22 pm

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

Chris,

My wife recently got a credit card application in the mail. All that was asked on the form was her name, SSN, and I think her birth date. A few weeks later a credit card came in the mail. Unsecured. Only a $400 credit limit, but no interest (as in zero, 0) for the 1st 4 months. Then the interest rate goes to a not too bad ~15%.

Not bad for someone who has no income.

The issuing bank is CapitalOne.

Regards, JEff

Originally posted by Chris Payne
Hi there everyone,

This morning I got my SSN# through - yes I'm going to be opening my bank account
today through my wife (Who is an associate at bank of emerica) and the card they
issue automatically is a debit visa card. What I want to know is, are there any cards
for people who have just become residents and who are just starting to build their
credit history?

Any help would be great

Thanks

Chris
[Edited by jeffreyhy on Sep 18th 2001 at 10:26am]
Old Sep 17th 2001, 10:59 pm
Linda Stilmack

My hubby's first CC was a special Visa issued by our credit union, secured by funds
in his savings account. It only had a $300 limit, I think. But as soon as he started
using it, he started getting all those pre-approved offers in the mail. He then
applied for and received a "regular" Visa and canceled the secured account, since it
tied up his funds. Now he gets almost as many offers as I do! We recently refinanced
the mortgage and added him to the loan and title, so a little over a year later, his
credit history should be secure. Working for the same employer during that time has
surely helped, too.

Linda

>
    >
    >
    >
emerica)
    >
to
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

Old Sep 17th 2001, 11:04 pm
Onigiri

>
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
123-45-6789, 123 45 6789 and 123456789 are three different formats of the same
number. "Format" is often used for the various ways are arranging spaces, tabs and
other delimiters, like slashes and hyphens. Whatever this nextcard is, the
organization that has this web-form must have given you specific instructions for the
format of how you input the number.

Old Sep 18th 2001, 12:59 am
Michael Voight

Chris Payne wrote:
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

Secure card from Citibank.. Put some money in an 18 month CD. Normal credit card
fees... Well known company for low risk cards. With all of the easy credit ads for
some companies, I would be embarrassed to carry some of them. Too much affiliation
with bad credit. If you get an AA one, you can earn miles..

Most unsecured cards for newbies carry low amounts and high charges

Old Sep 18th 2001, 1:29 pm
Grinch

>

Glad to hear you are still keeping up the treament Michael. I am very proud of you.
Alcoholism is a terrible thing.

Grinch

Old Sep 18th 2001, 3:54 pm
Michael Voight

Grinch wrote:
    >

>
[usenetquote2]> > If you get an AA one, you can earn miles.. [/usenetquote2]
    >
    >
    >

No, the other AA...

Old Sep 18th 2001, 4:03 pm
Andy Platt

>

Aardvarks Anonymous - a society helping those who have a dreadful addiction to all
things aardvark.

Andy.

--
I'm not really here - it's just your warped imagination.

Old Sep 20th 2001, 4:37 am
Riri

No. You can have a secured credit card: deposit an amount which will guarantee your
CC and build your good credit by paying all the bill on time.... I actually started
with Macy's only 100$ credit in1997 and now I have an excellent credit (I had a loan
approved last year for the house). R

>