Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

A couple of threads got me scared! Doing immigration at Shannon/Dublin.

A couple of threads got me scared! Doing immigration at Shannon/Dublin.

Old Oct 3rd 2010, 12:46 pm
Banned

Banks21 is just really niceBanks21 is just really niceBanks21 is just really niceBanks21 is just really niceBanks21 is just really niceBanks21 is just really niceBanks21 is just really niceBanks21 is just really nice
Default A couple of threads got me scared! Doing immigration at Shannon/Dublin.

Quid Pro Quo

I make a couple of visits a year to the U.S never had a problem I always transit fly through Chicago or Boston to NYC. A couple of american friends of mine from Uni live over there. Never had a problem I am not really sweating it. At least I wasn't until I read the thread from the sales manager guy about him being put in jail . That has scared the crap out of me. Thanks for that one fellas!

All these threads have got me thinking about flying out of Dublin or Shannon to NYC. I don't fancy going to rikers or Cook County lockup or whatever. Does anyone know what flights clear from Dublin or Shannon, I can't make heads or tails of the shannon departures board. That seems to be quite a busy airport.

ty in advance.
Old Oct 3rd 2010, 12:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

Marocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: A couple of threads got me scared! Doing immigration at Shannon/Dublin.

There's absolutely no need of that, it would probably just be a waste of money. The user who got refused entry and put in jail overnight had been abusing the VWP and was about to marry a US citizen.
Old Oct 3rd 2010, 12:52 pm
Banned

Banks21 is just really niceBanks21 is just really niceBanks21 is just really niceBanks21 is just really niceBanks21 is just really niceBanks21 is just really niceBanks21 is just really niceBanks21 is just really nice
Default Re: Denied entry to the USA - why??

Why did they put him in jail, why not hold him in the airport detention area? That is risky isn't. Surely if he got killed or raped in jail woudn't the government be on the hook for a major lawsuit with his family? The being put in jail is what has me concerned with my travel
Old Oct 3rd 2010, 12:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

Marocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Banks21
Why did they put him in jail, why not hold him in the airport detention area?
Probably because there is no "airport detention area".
Old Oct 3rd 2010, 12:59 pm
Forum Regular

Lissbovavd is just really niceLissbovavd is just really niceLissbovavd is just really niceLissbovavd is just really niceLissbovavd is just really niceLissbovavd is just really niceLissbovavd is just really niceLissbovavd is just really niceLissbovavd is just really nice

Originally Posted by Marocco
Exactly. That might of course vary between different airports.
It all certainly adds to any unintended "excitement" for the unsuspecting US-bond traveller...
Old Oct 3rd 2010, 1:02 pm
Banned

Default Re: A couple of threads got me scared! Doing immigration at Shannon/Dublin.

There's absolutely no need of that, it would probably just be a waste of money. The user who got refused entry and put in jail overnight had been abusing the VWP and was about to marry a US citizen.
I read the post. It is a risky move though putting him in jail like I asked in his thread something could have happened to the guy They seem to ask me slightly more questions every time like they are trying to catch me in a lie or something? I was asked is this your first visit to the U.S and it clearly wasn't my first visit so what was the point of that?

I think the flight Liverpool or Blackpool Dublin is probably same the amount as the train and the airport shuttle to heathrow it won't really hit me hard on the money. I am english it is not a massive cost to me like flying from Germany or Spain like the other thread guy on the B2 refusal might do. I have a cousin or 2 down in someplace outside Dublin like 10 miles outside near the airport I think. Nace I think the place is called

Would they make something of that of an english guy going via dublin or shannon?
Old Oct 3rd 2010, 1:04 pm
Banned

Why not? Are you not taking a hell of risk putting a visiting tourist in jail even for one or 2 nights?
Old Oct 3rd 2010, 1:08 pm
Banned

A lot of flights appear Depart from Shannon but I can't find them on the BA American airlines sites. The departure board shows BA and Aer Lingus and AA flights flying Shannon NYC every day or every other day. Do you get flights stopping at Shannon to do immigration before continuing their journey? I am still looking the departure board and I can't make head or tail of it. Anybody?

Last edited by Banks21; Oct 3rd 2010 at 1:27 pm.
Old Oct 3rd 2010, 1:19 pm
Forum Regular

Lissbovavd is just really niceLissbovavd is just really niceLissbovavd is just really niceLissbovavd is just really niceLissbovavd is just really niceLissbovavd is just really niceLissbovavd is just really niceLissbovavd is just really niceLissbovavd is just really nice

Why not? Are you not taking a hell of risk putting a visiting tourist in jail even for one or 2 nights?
Yes, of course, but this is the unfortunate modus operandi of the US CBP when handling denied, unsuspecting visiting "aliens", a fact which the vast majority of visitors to the United States are completely unaware of until this perhaps happens to them one day.
I read somewhere that there are up to, if I remember correctly, 60 or 80 different statutes ruling why a foreign visitor to the US might be denied entry, according to the US immigration law which basically goes back to 1952 with a number of later amendments.
On top of that any CBP agent at the POE has in fact such vast, almost unfettered personal latitude that he/she in practice could turn around a visiting "alien" just because the agent might be in a foul mood for whatever reason. When you are travelling on the VWP you are in fact signing away any rights for a judicial hearing if denied entry.
Not that it would make much practical difference anyway, since you would most likely have to face a lengthy wait for your case to be heard by a judge, while in the meantime being holed up in any kind of detention facility.
Sorry to sound so negative, but this is, sadly, the gist of the matter.
Old Oct 3rd 2010, 2:22 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by crg
You don't appear to have the correct facts about the US immigration system. People who travel on a visa and get denied for the same thing are just as unlikely to see a judge. The traveler with a visa would be subject to a bar for 5 years under expedited removal or more where a VWP traveler will just need a visa and possibly a waiver following the denial.

In fact, a VWP passenger is actually more likely to see an immigration judge than someone with a visa who is denied entry for the same ground of inadmissibility.

Someone who seeks entry on the VWP and claims asylum goes straight to the judge for a limited review. Someone who seeks entry with a visa and claims asylum goes through a screening by an asylum officer and may not get to see the judge depending on the determination made by the asylum officer.

Being detained at entry is always a possibility for international travel regardless of what country it is. Does the UK put up their immigration detainees at the Hilton or the Four Seasons?

Also, the claim that any rogue border guard can refuse people is spurious at best. There are levels of approval needed to deny entry. The officer in charge has to approve a VWP refusal.
No we have actual immigration detention centres in this country like yarlswood for example. No one goes to Strangeways from Manchester Airport to my knowledge. The jail's aren't the same in England gang rape and violence is rife in American jails and it's all racist gangs over there isn't nazis and bloods and all that I have seen lock up on MSNBC. What would have happened if he had been killed in jail the government would be hit with a massive law suit right?

A guy could clock up a whole list of charges couldn't he? Resisting arrest if he has to be taken to the ground and cuffed by the boarder guards probably get a taser or 2 as well right? Attempted murder if a rogue boarder agents claims I reached for his gun?

Last edited by Banks21; Oct 3rd 2010 at 2:26 pm.
Old Oct 3rd 2010, 2:28 pm
Banned

A lot of flights appear Depart from Shannon but I can't find them on the BA American airlines sites. The departure board shows BA and Aer Lingus and AA flights flying Shannon NYC every day or every other day. Do you get flights stopping at Shannon to do immigration before continuing their journey? I am still looking the departure board and I can't make head or tail of it. Anybody?
I was mis reading it it was flights that leave shannon and transfer at heathrow or whatever and then onto to the U.S. My Cousin will let me stay with him I will be going through Dublin. Thanks for the help. Feel free to post any thoughts you feel might be relevant

Last edited by Banks21; Oct 3rd 2010 at 2:31 pm.
Old Oct 3rd 2010, 2:34 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

No we have actual immigration detention centres in this country like yarlswood for example. No one goes to Strangeways from Manchester Airport to my knowledge. The jail's aren't the same in England gang rape and violence is rife in American jails and it's all racist gangs over there isn't nazis and bloods and all that I have seen lock up on MSNBC. What would have happened if he had been killed in jail the government would be hit with a massive law suit right?

A guy could clock up a whole list of charges couldn't he? Resisting arrest if he has to be taken to the ground and cuffed by the boarder guards probably get a taser or 2 as well right? Attempted murder if a rogue boarder agents claims I reached for his gun?
If it was on MSNBC, enough said.
Old Oct 3rd 2010, 2:44 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

I think your a fruit loop ...
Old Oct 3rd 2010, 2:48 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Ray
I think your a fruit loop ...

I think with my immigration history I think I might be 2 or 3 entries away from being denied. They seem to ask more questions every visit. It used to be question what are you doing here. I answer visiting friend they say very good enjoy stamp and away. Now it how did you meet them, is this your first visit to the U.S were are you staying. And with these couple of threads I think Dublin would give me more piece of mind. That being said will they make something out of me going through Dublin and not flying directly?

Last edited by Banks21; Oct 3rd 2010 at 2:50 pm.
Old Oct 3rd 2010, 2:49 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Boiler
If it was on MSNBC, enough said.
I love it! Wouldn't want to see it first hand mind you! Thanks for the help

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.