Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Couple of questions: On O3 and have founds jobs :)

Couple of questions: On O3 and have founds jobs :)

Old Oct 15th 2011, 8:10 pm
Forum Regular

cowtowntaff is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Couple of questions: On O3 and have founds jobs :)

Been in the USA on O3 for a while and have found a couple of places that are prepared to employ me

The first one seems quite straightforward. Long term contract and will be a regular H1-B application. As I understand from reading threads on here, the employer will petition for permission to employ me. If approved I go to an embassy and get a visa. Typically, will I need to provide any documents to support the employer's petition? If so I want to get a head start on getting them in order.

One thing at the back of my mind is I have a degree (a BA from the educational powerhouse of Staffordshire University) but my course was only three years. I've read in some places that in the USA degrees are typically four years. Could this be a major stumbling block? I have ten years experience in my field if that will help.

On top of that, I have another offer which is potentially much better for my career and better paid. However they want to employ me on a trial basis and go for a longer visa if things work out. Is this an option for me at all? Could a J1 or H2-B cover this? Or is it possible to get an H1-B for four months (the period they want to trial me for)?

Lastly, if the worst happens and I lose my job, can I just fall back into my current O3 visa or will I have to leave the USA and apply for a new O3?

Ok so that turned into way more than a couple of questions. Thanks in advance for anyone who takes the time to answer any of them
Old Oct 15th 2011, 9:03 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Couple of questions: On O3 and have founds jobs :)

H1B is a temporary visa.

3 years UK = 4 years US.

Presumably the O3 does not come with work authorisation.

Long term contracts are very unusual.
Old Oct 15th 2011, 10:08 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Boiler
H1B is a temporary visa.

3 years UK = 4 years US.

Presumably the O3 does not come with work authorisation.

Long term contracts are very unusual.
Thanks Boiler. So presumably then there is no lower limit for the length of a contract for a H1B?

And yes O3 is as restrictive as H4. Been a battle to get as far as finding a couple of employers to sponsor me.
Old Oct 16th 2011, 4:32 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by cowtowntaff
Thanks Boiler. So presumably then there is no lower limit for the length of a contract for a H1B?

And yes O3 is as restrictive as H4. Been a battle to get as far as finding a couple of employers to sponsor me.
What has happened is a lot of people have used the temp visa's as a staging point whilst seeking to immigrate.

Could be just one day, my Brother did 5 months on a L, more normal then.
Old Nov 3rd 2011, 10:38 pm
Forum Regular

So I have decided to pursue the 'trial' option but the company and their lawyers want to get me a J1 initially and then get me a H1B if things work out. I guess this is because the costs for a J1 for them are much less so if they want to let me go after the trial they are not as much out of pocket.

I know there are drawbacks to a J1 but the main thing for us is we want to petition for an EB1 very soon. For the missus this is fine as O1 to EB1 is a clear route but I want to check that my going on to a J1 won't jeopardize my chances of a spousal EB1. The lawyers are looking into this but I'm just curious if anyone has any experience here?