Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Couple o flast minute questions before interview

Couple o flast minute questions before interview

Old Jan 12th 2005, 1:05 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Couple of last minute questions before interview

Originally Posted by Matthew Udall
A U.S. Passport issued for a 10-year period is usually acceptable as alternative proof of US citizenship. Don't know if your particular office will have any problems with that.

Patrick is using your old haunt, Matt, SF
Old Jan 12th 2005, 1:06 am
Don't Know, Don't Care

inquisitive40 is a name known to allinquisitive40 is a name known to allinquisitive40 is a name known to allinquisitive40 is a name known to allinquisitive40 is a name known to allinquisitive40 is a name known to allinquisitive40 is a name known to allinquisitive40 is a name known to allinquisitive40 is a name known to allinquisitive40 is a name known to allinquisitive40 is a name known to all

A U.S. Passport issued for a 10-year period is usually acceptable as alternative proof of US citizenship. Don't know if your particular office will have any problems with that.
Well my wife's passport is what we used when we filed through SF District Office, it was only on the list of things to bring, that is, it was in the list for us to bring, it didn't specify directly that the USC needed birth cert, in the same way as it did not specify directly that I would need my children's birth certs from Ireland.

Patrick
Old Jan 12th 2005, 1:06 am
The Missus

SecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond repute

Good point, Matt! (long time no see!) Patrick's interview letter lists the birth certificate, so I thought it would be wise for him to try to get a copy.

~SecretGarden
Old Jan 12th 2005, 1:09 am
The Missus

SecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by inquisitive40
Well my wife's passport is what we used when we filed through SF District Office, it was only on the list of things to bring, that is, it was in the list for us to bring, it didn't specify directly that the USC needed birth cert, in the same way as it did not specify directly that I would need my children's birth certs from Ireland.

Patrick
Patrick,
As in the other thread, this may be a matter of interpretation, but if you are the applicant, and it says, "your birth certificate and that of your spouse and your children" then I believe it to mean yours, your wife's, and your kids, whether they live with you or not?

Might be overkill, but our DAO wanted all of that, including my children who live with us. Then again, she was a little over the top, so who knows. Maybe SF will be a little less stringent.

~SG
Old Jan 12th 2005, 1:13 am
Don't Know, Don't Care

inquisitive40 is a name known to allinquisitive40 is a name known to allinquisitive40 is a name known to allinquisitive40 is a name known to allinquisitive40 is a name known to allinquisitive40 is a name known to allinquisitive40 is a name known to allinquisitive40 is a name known to allinquisitive40 is a name known to allinquisitive40 is a name known to allinquisitive40 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by SecretGarden
Patrick,
As in the other thread, this may be a matter of interpretation, but if you are the applicant, and it says, "your birth certificate and that of your spouse and your children" then I believe it to mean yours, your wife's, and your kids, whether they live with you or not?

Might be overkill, but our DAO wanted all of that, including my children who live with us. Then again, she was a little over the top, so who knows. Maybe SF will be a little less stringent.

~SG
BUT that is not what it says, Quote "Certified. complete court records for any arrests. Original birth/marriage/divorce certificates for you, spouse, children."

Patrick
Old Jan 12th 2005, 1:31 am
Banned

Matthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rete
Patrick is using your old haunt, Matt, SF
I still file cases at that office (most of my clients are all across the U.S. and I've got files going in many CIS offices out there). I'm actually going to be in SF on the weekend of Feb 18th through 20th on some brewery business (Anchor Steam).
Old Jan 12th 2005, 1:36 am
Don't Know, Don't Care

I still file cases at that office (most of my clients are all across the U.S. and I've got files going in many CIS offices out there). I'm actually going to be in SF on the weekend of Feb 18th through 20th on some brewery business (Anchor Steam).
So would it be silly to ask, does SF always ask for immigrant's children's birth certs (children which are not immigrating) and also will my wife be ok with her US passport and no need for her birth cert?

Patrick
Old Jan 12th 2005, 1:53 am
Banned

Matthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond repute

So would it be silly to ask, does SF always ask for immigrant's children's birth certs (children which are not immigrating) and also will my wife be ok with her US passport and no need for her birth cert?

Patrick
As I'm not your attorney, I don't want to climb out on a limb and tell you what to do. Sorry. Plus, an answer to a question with "always" or "never" in it is usually in the negative, however even though most things don't "always" happen (or "never" happen), that would not cover all cases.

I usually have all birth records available for my clients, and I try to be thorough when documenting my petitioner's US citizenship.
Old Jan 12th 2005, 1:56 am
Don't Know, Don't Care

As I'm not your attorney, I don't want to climb out on a limb and tell you what to do. Sorry. Plus, an answer to a question with "always" or "never" in it is usually in the negative, however even though most things don't "always" happen (or "never" happen), that would not cover all cases.

I usually have all birth records available for my clients, and I try to be thorough when documenting my petitioner's US citizenship.
Ok, I understand ... thanks for the pointers
Patrick
Old Jan 12th 2005, 2:17 am
Account Closed

Folinskyinla is an unknown quantity at this point

Ok, two quick questions.
1. Does the USC absolutely need their birth cert? (we got my wife's when we were initially filing but currently having problems finding it, for some reason it is missing from the rest of our papers)
2. If we do not provide copies with the original documents we bring to the interview, will the officer make copies themselves OR will they keep the originals we provide?

TIA
Patrick
Hi Patrick:

1. You wife does NOT need her birth certificate EXCEPT if its the ONLY evidence of United States Citizenship. Valid US Passport or naturalization certificate will do.

2. Maybe they will or maybe they won't. Kinkos is at 369 Pine Street. I had a deportation hearing last week in SF and that Kinkos was wonderful.

Even if you don't have what the DAO wants, you will get an "I-72" requesting it and you will have a chance to bring it in.

Ain't life fun without an attorney. Patrick, you will walk of out 630 Sansome alive--much more likely than not.

Good luck.
Old Jan 12th 2005, 2:22 am
misrlady

misrlady is an unknown quantity at this point

Ok, two quick questions.
1. Does the USC absolutely need their birth cert? (we got my wife's when we were initially filing but currently having problems finding it, for some reason it is missing from the rest of our papers)
2. If we do not provide copies with the original documents we bring to the interview, will the officer make copies themselves OR will they keep the originals we provide?

TIA
Patrick
My fiance' didn't have his orginal copy of his birth certifacate and he was given an refusal letter under section 221(g) and was requested to express delievery his orginal copy to the embassy. This is my experience.
Old Jan 12th 2005, 3:28 am
Don't Know, Don't Care

Originally Posted by Folinskyinla
Hi Patrick:

1. You wife does NOT need her birth certificate EXCEPT if its the ONLY evidence of United States Citizenship. Valid US Passport or naturalization certificate will do.

2. Maybe they will or maybe they won't. Kinkos is at 369 Pine Street. I had a deportation hearing last week in SF and that Kinkos was wonderful.

Even if you don't have what the DAO wants, you will get an "I-72" requesting it and you will have a chance to bring it in.

Ain't life fun without an attorney. Patrick, you will walk of out 630 Sansome alive--much more likely than not.

Good luck.
Thanks for the info ,
Hopefully this time Thursday I will be telling everybody how I worried a lot over nothing :P
Again thanks for the pointers along the way.

Patrick
Old Jan 12th 2005, 5:01 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by misrlady
My fiance' didn't have his orginal copy of his birth certifacate and he was given an refusal letter under section 221(g) and was requested to express delievery his orginal copy to the embassy. This is my experience.
The question was whether the US citizen needs an original birth certificate. If I remember correctly, your fiance is not a US citizen.

Ian
Old Jan 12th 2005, 12:08 pm
The Missus

BUT that is not what it says, Quote "Certified. complete court records for any arrests. Original birth/marriage/divorce certificates for you, spouse, children."

Patrick
Ok, let me try again!

YOU are the applicant for AOS
SPOUSE is your wife (the USC)
CHILDREN are your children, whether they are with you or not with you.

I agree that the comma in that sentence above certainly may be misplaced and it should be specific. However, in *my* letter it went on to explain that information was needed for ALL CHILDREN, those living with you and not with you, so my assumption is that the birth certificates would be for those children (ALL of them) as well.

All I'm trying to say is, if you can get it, get it. If you can't, don't worry, but certainly make the effort. I'm glad we did, because we were asked for all of it.

~SecretGarden
Old Jan 12th 2005, 12:30 pm
Don't Know, Don't Care

Originally Posted by SecretGarden
Ok, let me try again!

YOU are the applicant for AOS
SPOUSE is your wife (the USC)
CHILDREN are your children, whether they are with you or not with you.

I agree that the comma in that sentence above certainly may be misplaced and it should be specific. However, in *my* letter it went on to explain that information was needed for ALL CHILDREN, those living with you and not with you, so my assumption is that the birth certificates would be for those children (ALL of them) as well.

All I'm trying to say is, if you can get it, get it. If you can't, don't worry, but certainly make the effort. I'm glad we did, because we were asked for all of it.

~SecretGarden

Yes I agree, I have gotten faxed copies of my children's birth certs and we have one of my wife's children's also, we are missing her daughter's birth cert due to it being out of this county and now is really too late to get it. I am getting my wife's mom to get my wife's birth cert later today and that should be that.
As for our letter, there was no explaination about wanting certs for all kids, what I listed in the above quote was the only mention in our letter, obviously different offices doing things different as always with USCIS

Patrick