Considering Naturalizing

Old Apr 14th 2014, 2:53 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Considering Naturalizing

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter
They actually asked me against which country the colonies rebelled. I couldn't work out whether this was a test of my new loyalties or whether the woman actually had a sense of humour. I decided it wasn't the latter. It never is.
Sense of humour, that's a good one

Honestly, they only just about stop short of asking things like 'how many cents in a penny" ...
Old Apr 25th 2014, 5:24 pm
Forum Regular

vulcan has a reputation beyond reputevulcan has a reputation beyond reputevulcan has a reputation beyond reputevulcan has a reputation beyond reputevulcan has a reputation beyond reputevulcan has a reputation beyond reputevulcan has a reputation beyond reputevulcan has a reputation beyond reputevulcan has a reputation beyond reputevulcan has a reputation beyond reputevulcan has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NoHotAshes
I have been eligible to naturalize for at least a few years now but never committed to applying. I've noticed quite a few SF/SJ Bay Area members here. Do any of you have any lawyer recommendations as I do not feel comfortable filing myself, and I have read far too many horror stories to risk screwing it up. Thanks
I used a Lawyer for my initial GC application, I then removed conditions myself. I'm about to send off my 400 and again doing it myself. It isn't as daunting as GC forms but it sure is bulky. The application form (21 pages with 3 additional pages) and with copies of docs requested just won't fit in the envelope I used for the GC.

I'm at the age now where I'm unlikely to be relocating again so I'm happy to become a US citizen.

If you're reasonably affluent use a lawyer for your own piece of mind. Most seem able and to do it themselves without problems.
Old Apr 28th 2014, 8:24 pm
Just Joined

NoHotAshes is an unknown quantity at this point

So I went to see the lawyer and he also said I should have no problem. He actually recommended that I don't use his services as I could file myself quite easily and that my issues were minor to non issues. The only thing he said I should do to ease my concerns is check my taxes if I am concerned about unknown false claims. I have looked over my copy of my tax returns that my tax preparer gave me, I don't even see it as a question. Does anyone know what form the question about status is on? I would like to see it.

Once I have that checked. I will fill out the forms and apply sometime next month
Old Apr 28th 2014, 8:27 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Does anyone know what form the question about status is on? I would like to see it.
There is only one form for naturalization; N-400.

Rene
Old Apr 28th 2014, 9:15 pm
Forum Regular

vulcan has a reputation beyond reputevulcan has a reputation beyond reputevulcan has a reputation beyond reputevulcan has a reputation beyond reputevulcan has a reputation beyond reputevulcan has a reputation beyond reputevulcan has a reputation beyond reputevulcan has a reputation beyond reputevulcan has a reputation beyond reputevulcan has a reputation beyond reputevulcan has a reputation beyond repute

So I went to see the lawyer and he also said I should have no problem. He actually recommended that I don't use his services as I could file myself quite easily and that my issues were minor to non issues. The only thing he said I should do to ease my concerns is check my taxes if I am concerned about unknown false claims. I have looked over my copy of my tax returns that my tax preparer gave me, I don't even see it as a question. Does anyone know what form the question about status is on? I would like to see it.

Once I have that checked. I will fill out the forms and apply sometime next month
I guess he's referring to your filing status on your 1040. Items 1,2 and 3
Old Apr 28th 2014, 9:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

DebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond repute

I had my interview 3 weeks ago. The IO asked me if I had ever failed to file federal, State or local taxes. She also asked if I owed any Federal, State or local taxes.
Old Apr 28th 2014, 9:57 pm
Just Joined

yea I was referring to tax forms. I was confused as the lawyer said people can make false citizenship claims on their tax returns yet I don't even see where it asks you what status you are. I just want to know what tax forms ask that. Filing status just says, single, married, married filing seperately etc. no mention of citizen, resident, nonresident etc
Old Apr 28th 2014, 11:11 pm
Forum Regular

yea I was referring to tax forms. I was confused as the lawyer said people can make false citizenship claims on their tax returns yet I don't even see where it asks you what status you are. I just want to know what tax forms ask that. Filing status just says, single, married, married filing seperately etc. no mention of citizen, resident, nonresident etc
1040s don't ask for citizen/residence status.
Old Apr 29th 2014, 12:06 am
Forum Regular

superkruz has a reputation beyond reputesuperkruz has a reputation beyond reputesuperkruz has a reputation beyond reputesuperkruz has a reputation beyond reputesuperkruz has a reputation beyond reputesuperkruz has a reputation beyond reputesuperkruz has a reputation beyond reputesuperkruz has a reputation beyond reputesuperkruz has a reputation beyond reputesuperkruz has a reputation beyond reputesuperkruz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DebzinUS
I had my interview 3 weeks ago. The IO asked me if I had ever failed to file federal, State or local taxes. She also asked if I owed any Federal, State or local taxes.
Would they know whether one owes any taxes or do they simply take your word for it I wonder?
Old Apr 29th 2014, 12:08 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by superkruz
Would they know whether one owes any taxes or do they simply take your word for it I wonder?
Who knows? They probably could check if you owe taxes or not as there would be an IRS or State tax assessment out there. They won't check your tax returns to see if they are correct or not, however.
Old Apr 29th 2014, 12:18 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by vulcan
1040s don't ask for citizen/residence status.
They don't, but have you heard of any tax forms that do?
Old Apr 29th 2014, 12:30 am
Forum Regular

Just guessing here........ a signed tax return has personal details, if you're married or single, have dependents etc. That would count as supporting evidence to your N-400 answers along with other docs we may send in.

I doubt they're interested in your tax liability............just the basis for your return.

I guess they might figure no ones dumb enough to lie on their N-400 and on their last 3-5 years tax returns
Old Apr 29th 2014, 12:50 am
Forum Regular

They don't, but have you heard of any tax forms that do?
1040s and other related forms that go with them are the only tax forms I'm familiar with.
Old Apr 29th 2014, 2:23 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DebzinUS
The IO asked me if I had ever failed to file federal, State or local taxes. She also asked if I owed any Federal, State or local taxes.
Just so you know, the tax questions had nothing whatsoever to do with what information you put down on the tax returns. However, they had everything to do with demonstrating "good moral character" which is a requirement when applying for naturalization. One way to demonstrate GMC is by filing tax returns when required to do so.

The only way tax returns are going to hurt a natz application is if they were not filed and they should have been. USCIS doesn't care one iota whether or not the info on the tax returns was correct... they care only that you filed if you were supposed to.

Ian
Old Apr 29th 2014, 2:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

Guindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by superkruz
I'm sure they already know the answer through the background checks before you walk into the interview. If what you tell them differs, THEN you'll know for sure!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.