Considering Naturalizing

Old Apr 11th 2014, 1:00 am
Just Joined

NoHotAshes is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Considering Naturalizing

I thought their were horror stories over that citizenship claim thing, just one thing has to slip past you and you are screwed, especially when it seems it can even be a question on things like credit card applications. As far I know nothing has ever gotten past me, but how can anyone be 100% on that.

Btw, you are all very encouraging and I appreciate the comments, I have contacted a lawyer for my peace of mind and meet with them in 2 weeks. I will keep this thread updated as I go. Thx everyone.
Old Apr 11th 2014, 11:40 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NoHotAshes
... just one thing has to slip past you and you are screwed...
To be an issue, there has to be a willful misrepresentation of a material fact.

As far I know nothing has ever gotten past me...
Then it's not an issue.

... but how can anyone be 100% on that.
It's the government's responsibility, not yours, to demonstrate that you acted to willfully misrepresent a material fact. Ergo, not only aren't you required to be 100% sure, you aren't required to be even 0% sure.

I have contacted a lawyer for my peace of mind and meet with them in 2 weeks.
I suggest that's a complete waste of time and energy for all... but, if it helps you sleep better at night, then perhaps it's worth it to you.

Ian
Old Apr 11th 2014, 2:39 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NoHotAshes

Btw, you are all very encouraging and I appreciate the comments, I have contacted a lawyer for my peace of mind and meet with them in 2 weeks.

Have you actually read the form and seen how basic the questions are? It really is a shame to pay a lawyer to do this for you.
Old Apr 11th 2014, 2:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Maryland (via Belfast, Manchester, Toronto and London)
MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Noorah101
I didn't think you were allowed to have an interpreter at your naturalization test?
There are some age-related exceptions. Some people are exempt from the English requirement, can take the civics test in a language of their choice and take an interpreter to the interview.

http://www.nolo.com/legal-encycloped...uirements.html

http://www.uscis.gov/citizenship/lea...ls-civics-test

http://www.uscis.gov/sites/default/f...icle/M-476.pdf
Old Apr 11th 2014, 3:37 pm
Forum Regular

superkruz has a reputation beyond reputesuperkruz has a reputation beyond reputesuperkruz has a reputation beyond reputesuperkruz has a reputation beyond reputesuperkruz has a reputation beyond reputesuperkruz has a reputation beyond reputesuperkruz has a reputation beyond reputesuperkruz has a reputation beyond reputesuperkruz has a reputation beyond reputesuperkruz has a reputation beyond reputesuperkruz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
Naturalizing is the absolute easiest immigration step - because the US government wants you to succeed!
I still fail to see how their "wanting you to succeed" (whatever that means) practically makes the process any easier. I am of the opinion that, either one complies with the requirements of naturalization, in which case the application has to be approved whether they "want you to succeed" or not, or one does not comply with the requirements, in which case the application will be unsuccessful, whether they "want you to succeed" or not.

The way in which the "they want you succeed" is often used in posts gives me the impression that there is some mysterious change in attitude (akin to leniency), that happens within USCIS whenever you submit an application for naturalization. I hope this is so, but I'm yet to be convinced of the basis of this comment. I hope someone can give me a practical example of this perceived leniency or a reference to an official document confirming it.
Old Apr 11th 2014, 3:45 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by superkruz
I still fail to see how their "wanting you to succeed" (whatever that means) practically makes the process any easier. I am of the opinion that, either one complies with the requirements of naturalization, in which case the application has to be approved whether they "want you to succeed" or not, or one does not comply with the requirements, in which case the application will be unsuccessful, whether they "want you to succeed" or not.

The way in which the "they want you succeed" is often used in posts gives me the impression that there is some mysterious change in attitude (akin to leniency), that happens within USCIS whenever you submit an application for naturalization. I hope this is so, but I'm yet to be convinced of the basis of this comment. I hope someone can give me a practical example of this perceived leniency or a reference to an official document confirming it.
It's really not that hard a concept to grasp. Other then the fee being slightly higher then applying for a green card, the actual requirements for citizenship are minimal, certainly when compared to other stages of the immigration journey.

Even in my case, I missed a train and had to try to make it driving down. I subsequently got stuck in the endless roadworks on I-90/94 in Chicago and was 45 minutes late for my interview time. They were running late themselves anyway and I was able to slot in as if nothing had happened. Even being late wasn't enough to affect my application negatively.

The citizenship test/interview is easier than a US driving test - if that helps put it into perspective.
Old Apr 11th 2014, 3:53 pm
Hoppity hop...

BunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nutmegger
Have you actually read the form and seen how basic the questions are? It really is a sham to pay a lawyer to do this for you.
FIFY
Old Apr 11th 2014, 4:17 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

The way in which the "they want you succeed" is often used in posts gives me the impression that there is some mysterious change in attitude (akin to leniency), that happens within USCIS whenever you submit an application for naturalization.
I believe there is leniency - yes... because the interviewing officer has the option of responding "close enough"... rather than a black/white "yes" or "no" which is so prevalent at other immigration interviews.

Ian
Old Apr 11th 2014, 4:18 pm
Forum Regular

superkruz has a reputation beyond reputesuperkruz has a reputation beyond reputesuperkruz has a reputation beyond reputesuperkruz has a reputation beyond reputesuperkruz has a reputation beyond reputesuperkruz has a reputation beyond reputesuperkruz has a reputation beyond reputesuperkruz has a reputation beyond reputesuperkruz has a reputation beyond reputesuperkruz has a reputation beyond reputesuperkruz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing
It's really not that hard a concept to grasp.
Clearly for you it isn't yet it is to me - maybe I should blame it on the fact that I'm not a native English speaker.

............ the actual requirements for citizenship are minimal,.....

The citizenship test/interview is easier than a US driving test.....
Would it be correct then to put it this way: The bar is not set very high, which, by implication, suggests that they deliberately made it easy to clear? If this is so I found it misleading to say "they want you to succeed" - rather just say that the process is easy and leave it at that. Even saying it is easy is a matter of opinion as there are people (such as those with run-ins with the law) who find it more complex.
Old Apr 11th 2014, 4:20 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
I believe there is leniency - yes... because the interviewing officer has the option of responding "close enough"... rather than a black/white "yes" or "no" which is so prevalent at other immigration interviews.
That's good to know. I suppose you're referring to leniency with something like the civics test and not to the residency requirement, for example.
Old Apr 11th 2014, 4:32 pm
Account Closed

I suppose you're referring to leniency with something like the civics test and not to the residency requirement, for example.
Yes, quite right. As you suggested earlier, either you're eligible or not to apply... but, unlike a visa interview or AOS interview - where the officer is likely indifferent to your success - I believe a natz interview takes on a special significance to the officer... something that may affect him on a personal level. As with many things, YMMV, but this was certainly my impression given my own experience.

Ian
Old Apr 11th 2014, 4:46 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Clearly for you it isn't yet it is to me - maybe I should blame it on the fact that I'm not a native English speaker.

Would it be correct then to put it this way: The bar is not set very high, which, by implication, suggests that they deliberately made it easy to clear? If this is so I found it misleading to say "they want you to succeed" - rather just say that the process is easy and leave it at that. Even saying it is easy is a matter of opinion as there are people (such as those with run-ins with the law) who find it more complex.
The bar is set as high as it needs to be. That's pretty much it. Eligibility for naturalization is relatively cut and dry, as Ian said, you're either eligible or you're not.

If you are eligible then in the vast majority of cases (including mine) it appears, anecdotally at least, that it's as near as makes no odds a formality, provided you pass the test.

There's always going to be a percentage of cases that go awry but from what I can tell from reading accounts on here, that is a much, much smaller percentage than cases that go awry at the green card level, or the initial visa level.
Old Apr 14th 2014, 2:33 am
Forum Regular

The Earl of Drumer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Earl of Drumer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Earl of Drumer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Earl of Drumer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Earl of Drumer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Earl of Drumer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Earl of Drumer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Earl of Drumer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Earl of Drumer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Earl of Drumer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Earl of Drumer has a reputation beyond repute

Wow, the lawyer's going to earn some easy money, that's for sure.
Old Apr 14th 2014, 2:37 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Wow, the lawyer's going to earn some easy money, that's for sure.
I think of it more as a gift really. I wonder if the OP gets a lawyer to help him arrange utilities when he moves to a new home?
Old Apr 14th 2014, 2:40 am

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

It's the ease of the whole process, really. The test questions are laughably easy.
They actually asked me against which country the colonies rebelled. I couldn't work out whether this was a test of my new loyalties or whether the woman actually had a sense of humour. I decided it wasn't the latter. It never is.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.