Considering Naturalizing

Old Apr 9th 2014, 10:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Maryland (via Belfast, Manchester, Toronto and London)
MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Considering Naturalizing

Originally Posted by Pulaski
That's my point, in a nut shell: the questions are designed to not be unduly challenging for those who know little about American history and government, and who's native language is not English. The result is a one size fits all "test" that is embarrassingly easy for immigrants from Britain.

Too funny!
Although some of the answers are actually incorrect!

http://www.propublica.org/article/ho...wers-to-myself
Old Apr 9th 2014, 10:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

Guindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
You studied? The first thing I did was a dry run through the questions, ..... and discovered I already knew the answers to 93 of them.

They might be a bit tricky if you're Polish or Sudanese, but the UK and the US share so much history and culture, that with only a passing knowledge of the US political system you're already home and dry.
Of course not, but I did make sure I was able to give the answers as required.
Old Apr 9th 2014, 10:33 pm
BE Irregular

RICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond repute

Unless your are in fact, for some reason, "not eligible" for citizenship, it is hard to see how you could screw it up irreversibly.

Some mis-steps can occur, which may cause delays, but many of us have gotten through it on our own, with next to no issues.

Go for it, and good luck
Old Apr 9th 2014, 11:53 pm
Just Joined

NoHotAshes is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by sir_eccles
Bottom line, if you kept your nose clean, never got arrested, never voted or claimed federal benefits and can follow instructions it's the easiest part of the process. Only caveat being the form just got twice as long.
My nose is clean, never been arrested, never voted or claimed citizenship... i have used FAFSA twice, when i ran into this http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...06#post9623006 which i was lightly mocked and told wasn't an issue (thanks ian ) but i still worry about it. Also i hear of ppl being registered to vote without their consent by the DMV etc and not being aware of it so I would want to verify that too. I am just being decidedly cautious, which I believe is the right way to go about these kind of things as they can affect your life in such a huge way.

Last edited by NoHotAshes; Apr 10th 2014 at 12:52 am. Reason: oh it was fatbrit not ian lol...
Old Apr 10th 2014, 12:59 am
BE Irregular

RICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for that link which included a Fatbrit-ism. Made me smile
Old Apr 10th 2014, 1:16 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute

If you were a legal permanent resident between the age of 18-26 and didn't register with the Selective Service, you need to wait until you are 31 years of age to naturalize.
Old Apr 10th 2014, 1:23 am
BE Irregular

Originally Posted by Michael
If you were a male legal permanent resident between the age of 18-26 and didn't register with the Selective Service, you need to wait until you are 31 years of age to naturalize.
FIFY
Old Apr 10th 2014, 3:34 am
Just Joined

NoHotAshes is an unknown quantity at this point

I was registered with selective service, they automatically signed me up.. i specifically remember getting the card and learning all about it. I remember because it was the first I heard about it and it freaked me out as they don't do it in the UK.

I was looking at the new n-400, and in regards to the last link i posted. I had to submit a fafsa correction 48 hours after my initial submittion in 2011 when i noticed I had answered yes to a question which incorrectly listed my residency length as longer than it was at the time, could this be considering as "making a misrepresentation to claim a public benefit?". I'm not a fan of the new form, but I'm not going to rush just so I can submit by May, so I will use the new one if I decide to file.

Also where do you go to make sure you aren't registered to vote, I doubt I was ever signed up automatically by the DMV and I certainly haven't done it myself, but better safe than sorry.
Old Apr 10th 2014, 3:42 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NoHotAshes
Also where do you go to make sure you aren't registered to vote, I doubt I was ever signed up automatically by the DMV and I certainly haven't done it myself, but better safe than sorry.
http://www.canivote.org/
Old Apr 10th 2014, 4:07 am
BE Irregular

Originally Posted by Michael
Nice, I recently became eligible to vote, but have not yet registered, and that is reflected here.
Old Apr 10th 2014, 1:17 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NoHotAshes
... could this be considering as "making a misrepresentation to claim a public benefit?".
No. In order for this to be an issue, you would have had to make a willful misrepresentation of a material fact. Both underlined words must come into play at the same time.

Also where do you go to make sure you aren't registered to vote...
It is impossible to prove a negative. Besides, the onus is on the US government to prove that you deliberately registered to vote, not on you to prove you didn't.

I doubt I was ever signed up automatically by the DMV and I certainly haven't done it myself, but better safe than sorry.
Ergo, it's a non-issue.

Ian
Old Apr 10th 2014, 1:24 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

OP - I understand your wanting to play it safe but trust us, you're already in the country, you're already a permanent resident. You're through the hard parts now.

The US wants citizenship applicants to succeed. It is very easily self-guided and from what you have posted you have no reason to worry about being unsuccessful. There are a plethora of us on here who have naturalized so we're all on hand to answer any questions.
Old Apr 10th 2014, 5:07 pm
Forum Regular

superkruz has a reputation beyond reputesuperkruz has a reputation beyond reputesuperkruz has a reputation beyond reputesuperkruz has a reputation beyond reputesuperkruz has a reputation beyond reputesuperkruz has a reputation beyond reputesuperkruz has a reputation beyond reputesuperkruz has a reputation beyond reputesuperkruz has a reputation beyond reputesuperkruz has a reputation beyond reputesuperkruz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing
The US wants citizenship applicants to succeed.
I notice this comment frequently in posts about naturalization and am curious what the basis is for saying this. Is it just that USCIS is helpful during the process or is it official USCIS policy or what? Don't get me wrong, I'm grateful for any friendliness/help coming from USCIS, I would just like to know why people make this comment so often.
Old Apr 10th 2014, 5:14 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by superkruz
I notice this comment frequently in posts about naturalization and am curious what the basis is for saying this. Is it just that USCIS is helpful during the process or is it official USCIS policy or what? Don't get me wrong, I'm grateful for any friendliness/help coming from USCIS, I would just like to know why people make this comment so often.
It's not a policy, but it's beneficial for the USA to have more citizens who can vote (at least that's the way I interpret it), so USCIS encourages alient to naturalize. It's not that USCIS necessarily "helps" someone naturalize, but it seems to be a more friendly, relaxing process, as opposed to the visa or adjustment of status processes.

Rene
Old Apr 10th 2014, 5:16 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by superkruz
Have you read the questions for the test?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.