Confused! Help!

Old Feb 1st 2002, 1:56 pm
Sarah Stiltner

Hello again. I was just wondering..what is the difference between a 1-29f and an I-30
visa? and WHAT is a K-1? I've been getting different advice from people about what to
file. My boyfriend is a Turkish citizen living in Istanbul, and we are unsure of the
best way to go about doing this. He wants to study as soon as possible after we are
married, as well. I'm not sure what is going to effect that. Also, is there anyway he
could get by with not getting a passport? Do I have to go to the INS office in
Atlanta to file the papers, or can I mail them in? Are there any forms which I will
have to send to him in Istanbul? What should he be doing from his end? I know I sound
hopeless! I'm just extraordinarly confused about this entire process. We also thought
about the possibility of him coming over on a visitation visa THEN marrying (yes, I
know that it is risky). If someone could give me some more advice, I would be so
appreciative..thank you so much.

Sincerely, Sarah Stiltner

Old Feb 1st 2002, 2:22 pm
Alvena Ferreira

Andy Platt wrote:
    >
    >
    >

Andy, Ankara consulate in Turkey will do DCF, see my other post to the OP. This is
the quickest option, and would be best if he wants to attend school, since he would
be resident upon arrival through port of entry. Just MHO. Alvena
-----------------------
Doc Steen Site: http://www.mindspring.com/~docsteen/...o/visainfo.htm
=========================================
I am not a lawyer and this is not immigration advice. This is my personal opinion,
gleaned from the previous postings of others, and posted for the purpose of
discussion only. If your case is complicated, then you may need an immigration
attorney. Locate an immigration attorney in your area at: http://www.aila.org

Old Feb 1st 2002, 2:26 pm
Forum Regular

MarkW is an unknown quantity at this point

Unless you go to Turkey to marry him, (assuming you are a USC) you need to file form I-129f (seeking a K-1 or "Fiance" Visa) here in the U.S. Once it is approved, your fiance will go through consular processing in Istanbul. The Istanbul Consulate will notify him of the approval. Remember, the approval of the I-129f is still no guarantee that he will be granted a visa by the Consulate. When he is granted a visa, he will come to the U.S. and you must be married within 90 days. When following the consular processing route there is no need to file the I-130.
Mark
Old Feb 1st 2002, 2:29 pm
Andy Platt

I saw this was possible from your post - I used a certain site you might know about
to see if DCF was available for Turkey and it wasn't listed

Andy.

--
I'm not really here - it's just your warped imagination.

>
[usenetquote2]> > I would suggest the K-1 process is best suited for your case; depending[/usenetquote2]
on
[usenetquote2]> > your boyfriend's situation, it may be unlikely that he would be granted[/usenetquote2]
a
[usenetquote2]> > tourist visa. See the following for the K-1:[/usenetquote2]
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

Old Feb 1st 2002, 2:54 pm
Alvena Ferreira

Andy Platt wrote:
    >
    >
    >
Try a re-load on that page, Andy alvena

Old Feb 1st 2002, 3:24 pm
Andy Platt

Wow, look at that. You must have a special hotline to Doc. Steen

Andy.

--
I'm not really here - it's just your warped imagination.

>
[usenetquote2]> > I saw this was possible from your post - I used a certain site you might know[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > about to see if DCF was available for Turkey and it wasn't listed[/usenetquote2]

[usenetquote2]> >[/usenetquote2]
    >

Old Feb 1st 2002, 6:26 pm
Gentledoe

Istanbul is not processing these visas in Turkey. Only Ankara US Embassy is
processing these visas. I am a Turkish citizen and came to USA on K-1 visa, I am
resident now. My daughter married in Istanbul Turkey in September and she is alredy
here, they did DFC in Turkey. If you need information my email address is
[email protected], tell your boyfriend to write me.

>
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

Old Feb 4th 2002, 3:32 am
Sarah Stiltner

Okay..if I *do not* go to Turkey and marry him, how will he get a green card? This is
all so confusing for us. If I *do* go to Turkey and marry him, will that
automatically give him a green card for the US? We are both young (21) and have good
health and no criminal history. Also, when he has a green card or if he does not have
a green card, how will it effect his ability to recieve financial aide ? Will he be
the same as any other resident applying? I'm not sure if anyone could help me out
with this as well. THank you!

Old Feb 4th 2002, 4:02 am
Gentledoe

Not only marrying him gives him a green card. You should do the paper works. You
should apply to INS for him to get him fiance visa then he will come here with his
fiance visa (k-1) then you marry him here, will apply for AOS (Adjustment of Status),
they will interview you both. I mean you will have to prove your marriage etc. First
of all, you will have to prove them that you have met IN PERSON in last two years,
otherwise you can not apply for K-1 visa. Also you will have to send him your last
three years tax returns or you will have to get a co-sponsor who is above the
povertyline.

There is nothing to be confued about.

>
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

Old Feb 4th 2002, 4:23 am
Onigiri

I loved that punch line : "There is nothing to be confued about"

Stiltner has to get into the "doc steen" site and read about how she does NOT have to
go to Turkey to get the alien over here. It takes time, some money and a lot of
effort. The alien can come here and be eligible for student loans and financial aids
in college. http://www.mindspring.com/~docsteen/...o/visainfo.htm

>
works.
    >

>
    >
AOS
    >
    >

>
    >
    >

>
    >
    >
    >

[usenetquote2]> > Okay..if I *do not* go to Turkey and marry him, how will he get a green card?[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > This is all so confusing for us. If I *do* go to Turkey and marry him, will that[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > automatically give him a green card for the US? We are both young (21) and have[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > good health and no criminal history. Also, when he has a green card or if he does[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > not have a green card, how will it effect his ability to recieve financial aide ?[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > Will he be the same as any other resident applying? I'm not sure if anyone could[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > help me out with this as well. THank you![/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > Sincerely, Sarah Stiltner[/usenetquote2]

Old Feb 4th 2002, 5:12 pm
Sarah Stiltner

If marrying him in Ankara would give him a green card in 3 months, then I would much
rather do that. It sounds a lot less complicated than having him come here. If he
came on a visitation visa to the US, and THEN we married, could it be done then? I
know you have to be very discreet about such things. Thank you again....

"Onigiri" <[email protected]>
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

[usenetquote2]> > Not only marrying him gives him a green card. You should do the paper[/usenetquote2]
    >
[usenetquote2]> > There is nothing to be confued about.[/usenetquote2]
    >
[usenetquote2]> > You should apply to INS for him to get him fiance visa then he will come here[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > with his fiance visa (k-1) then you marry him here, will apply for[/usenetquote2]
    >
[usenetquote2]> > (Adjustment of Status), they will interview you both. I mean you will have to[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > prove your marriage etc. There is nothing to be confued about.[/usenetquote2]
    >
[usenetquote2]> > First of all, you will have to prove them that you have met IN PERSON in last two[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > years, otherwise you can not apply for K-1 visa. There is nothing to be confued[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > about.[/usenetquote2]
    >
[usenetquote2]> > Also you will have to send him your last three years tax returns or you will have[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > to get a co-sponsor who is above the povertyline. There is nothing to be confued[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > about.[/usenetquote2]

[usenetquote2]> > > Okay..if I *do not* go to Turkey and marry him, how will he get a green card?[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > This is all so confusing for us. If I *do* go to Turkey and marry him, will[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > that automatically give him a green card for the US? We are both young (21) and[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > have good health and no criminal history. Also, when he has a green card or if[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > he does not have a green card, how will it effect his ability to recieve[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > financial aide ? Will he be the same as any other resident applying? I'm not[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > sure if anyone could help me out with this as well. THank you![/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > >[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > Sincerely, Sarah Stiltner[/usenetquote2]

Old Feb 4th 2002, 11:03 pm
Alvena Ferreira

Sarah Stiltner wrote:
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
It depends on whether he was able to make a "discreet" un-questioned entry as a
tourist. Bear in mind, IF he does NOT have a tourist visa right now, he would have to
apply for one. On that application they are going to ask him if he has a fiance in
the US. If he answers NO and the INS finds out about that, then he will be accused of
lying to the INS/State Department (visa fraud), and he'll never get to immigrate. So
this plan may not work unless he already has a tourist visa, and manages to enter
without undue questioning.

The other thing to consider is that if he adjusts from tourist visa, the school
that he plans to attend (he is the one wanting to go to school? I think I remember
this..), may not consider him a resident because he won't have a green card or
green card stamp, so this may make his schooling much more costly until he is
adjusted to resident. If he enters after DCF, he is a resident the minute he hits
the door of the US.

Alvena
-----------------------
Doc Steen Site: http://www.mindspring.com/~docsteen/...o/visainfo.htm
I am not a lawyer and this is not immigration advice. This is my personal opinion,
gleaned from the previous postings of others, and posted for the purpose of
discussion only. If your case is complicated, then you may need an immigration
attorney. Locate an immigration attorney in your area at: http://www.aila.org

Old Feb 6th 2002, 4:55 am
Sarah Stiltner

No, he does not currently have a tourist visa. I just found out that we cannot do the
marriage visa because have never met "in person". We have been communicating over
video programs like Netmeeting for about 8 months now and we met online. So, I'm
really at a loss. I know how risky the tourist visa is, but other than going to
Ankara (which really seems like the best thing), it is what we will have to do. He is
not technically my fiance, because we are not positive we are going to be married
yet. So, I'm technically NOT lying. We are pretty sure, but nothing is positive. He
won't be coming over here to marry me definitly. I know all this is so precarious. We
really don't have the money to travel back and from Knoxville to Istanbul, we are
both students. If we do get married while he is here, how long will it take for him
to adjust his status and get a greencard? Thank you all again for your help so
much..it's been great! Thanks again...

Sarah

Alvena Ferreira <[email protected]>
    >
[usenetquote2]> > If marrying him in Ankara would give him a green card in 3 months, then I would[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > much rather do that. It sounds a lot less complicated than having him come here.[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > If he came on a visitation visa to the US, and THEN we married, could it be done[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > then? I know you have to be very discreet about such things. Thank you again....[/usenetquote2]
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

Old Feb 6th 2002, 5:30 am
Sarah Stiltner

Hello again. I am scared that we really don't have many options. I want to know the
real probability of him being granted a visitors visa? In all likelihood, if we went
that route, would it be approved? Also, if we went for a marriage visa, and then
decided to fill out a form of hardship about meeting, would it likely be approved?
Has anyone been in that situation? If we did do the marriage, would the I-29f or I-30
be most appropriate? Are there forms to be filed in conjuction witht he I-29f and
I-30 that I have to fill out? I think I should just go to Ankara.

Thanks again!

>
[usenetquote2]> > If marrying him in Ankara would give him a green card in 3 months, then I would[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > much rather do that. It sounds a lot less complicated than having him come here.[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > If he came on a visitation visa to the US, and THEN we married, could it be done[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > then? I know you have to be very discreet about such things. Thank you again....[/usenetquote2]
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

Old Feb 6th 2002, 5:38 am
Sarah Stiltner

ONE more question...is the correct copy of the B-2? Or does HE need to get the B-2 ?
http://travel.state.gov/ds0156.pdf .. I think that is
it. THanks...

Sarah

>
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.