Conditional permanent resident

Old Aug 29th 2004, 1:00 am
Just Joined

ed77 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Conditional permanent resident

I have my GC form my husband. In 3 months my GC will expire and on Monday I plan to give all necessary documents to INS+ $200. I have a quick Q- how long does it take to get my permanent resident card (non- conditional) to my hand? Is there anyone here who had any problems with this process? Is it formality?
I just want to add that we are married for 3 years and everything is OK, no kids. I need to show this card to my employer in 3-4 months.

Thanks for help.
Old Aug 29th 2004, 1:41 am
Account Closed

Folinskyinla is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Conditional permanent resident

Originally Posted by ed77
I have my GC form my husband. In 3 months my GC will expire and on Monday I plan to give all necessary documents to INS+ $200. I have a quick Q- how long does it take to get my permanent resident card (non- conditional) to my hand? Is there anyone here who had any problems with this process? Is it formality?
I just want to add that we are married for 3 years and everything is OK, no kids. I need to show this card to my employer in 3-4 months.

Thanks for help.
Hi:

It takes as long as it takes. There is no prediction on this one.

However, I am curious on why you feel the need to show this to your employer in 3-4 months? Didn't you ALREADY show authorization to work at time of hire?
Old Aug 29th 2004, 2:06 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Folinskyinla
Hi:

However, I am curious on why you feel the need to show this to your employer in 3-4 months? Didn't you ALREADY show authorization to work at time of hire?
Thank you for your respond. I need to show it during my "interview season"- I plan to apply for residency position as I am physician. This is one time event during the year so this is why I will need to show it at this time.

Do you have any idea how long does it take in most cases? I know there is nothing for sure with INS :-) Thanks.
Old Aug 29th 2004, 2:30 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you for your respond. I need to show it during my "interview season"- I plan to apply for residency position as I am physician. This is one time event during the year so this is why I will need to show it at this time.

Do you have any idea how long does it take in most cases? I know there is nothing for sure with INS :-) Thanks.

Depending on the service center have to use, it could a year or more to get approved and then when you get the approval letter you have to go back to the district office to complete a new I-89 and then wait for the card.

However, after sending in the I-751 you will receive a notice of action which extends your green card for an additional year. If you have not been approved before that runs out you can get another I-551 stamp in your passport at the district office.

In a small number of cases, an I-751 is not adjudicated at the service center but sent to the district office and you have to go for another interview.

Rete
Old Aug 29th 2004, 2:33 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Rete
Depending on the service center have to use, it could a year or more to get approved and then when you get the approval letter you have to go back to the district office to complete a new I-89 and then wait for the card.

However, after sending in the I-751 you will receive a notice of action which extends your green card for an additional year. If you have not been approved before that runs out you can get another I-551 stamp in your passport at the district office.

In a small number of cases, an I-751 is not adjudicated at the service center but sent to the district office and you have to go for another interview.

Rete
Thank you Rete very much. Very helpful. All the best.
Old Aug 29th 2004, 5:41 am
Account Closed

Folinskyinla is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you Rete very much. Very helpful. All the best.
Hi:

Just got back. Rete answered the question.

BTW, the reason I asked the question was that it seemed to me that you were already employed and the employer felt that they had to renew the I-9. This is NOT true, but it is a common enough occurance unfortunately.
Old Aug 29th 2004, 1:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

sphyrapicus is a splendid one to beholdsphyrapicus is a splendid one to beholdsphyrapicus is a splendid one to beholdsphyrapicus is a splendid one to beholdsphyrapicus is a splendid one to beholdsphyrapicus is a splendid one to beholdsphyrapicus is a splendid one to beholdsphyrapicus is a splendid one to beholdsphyrapicus is a splendid one to beholdsphyrapicus is a splendid one to beholdsphyrapicus is a splendid one to behold

To follow up on Folinsky's point. Why do you need to show your employer your new green card? Your employer is not permitted to ask you to submit your new green card.

You might direct your employer to the USCIS web site
(http://uscis.gov/graphics/howdoi/faqeev.htm) where it states:

"Expiration dates do not affect current employment, since employers are neither required nor permitted to re-verify the employment authorization of aliens who have presented one of these cards to satisfy I-9 requirements (this is true for conditional residents as well as permanent residents)."

Here is the complete paragraph:

"“GREEN CARDS�
The terms Resident Alien Card, Permanent Resident Card, Alien Registration Receipt Card, and Form I-551 all refer to documentation issued to an alien who has been granted permanent residence in the U.S..
Once granted, this status is permanent. However, the document that an alien carries as proof of this status may expire. Starting with the “pink� version of the Resident Alien Card (the “white� version does not bear an expiration date), and including the new technology Permanent Resident Cards, these documents are valid for either two years (conditional residents) or ten years (permanent residents). When these cards expire, the alien cardholders must obtain new cards. An expired card cannot be used to satisfy Form I-9 requirements for new employment. Expiration dates do not affect current employment, since employers are neither required nor permitted to re-verify the employment authorization of aliens who have presented one of these cards to satisfy I-9 requirements (this is true for conditional residents as well as permanent residents). Note: Even if unexpired, “green cards� must appear genuine and establish identity of the cardholder."

Originally Posted by Folinskyinla
Hi:

Just got back. Rete answered the question.

BTW, the reason I asked the question was that it seemed to me that you were already employed and the employer felt that they had to renew the I-9. This is NOT true, but it is a common enough occurance unfortunately.
Old Aug 29th 2004, 11:16 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by sphyrapicus
To follow up on Folinsky's point. Why do you need to show your employer your new green card? Your employer is not permitted to ask you to submit your new green card.

."
As I wrote- this will be NEW employer for me so I will have to proof that I can work in US legally.Thank you all for very helpful info.I didn't know how it works.BTW- great forum.
Old Aug 30th 2004, 2:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

sphyrapicus is a splendid one to beholdsphyrapicus is a splendid one to beholdsphyrapicus is a splendid one to beholdsphyrapicus is a splendid one to beholdsphyrapicus is a splendid one to beholdsphyrapicus is a splendid one to beholdsphyrapicus is a splendid one to beholdsphyrapicus is a splendid one to beholdsphyrapicus is a splendid one to beholdsphyrapicus is a splendid one to beholdsphyrapicus is a splendid one to behold

Have a look at the I-9 you need to fill out. You can submit a driver's license and SSN (without restrictions) and you are good to go. No need to even show the potential employer your green card.

http://uscis.gov/graphics/formsfee/forms/files/i-9.pdf

As I wrote- this will be NEW employer for me so I will have to proof that I can work in US legally.Thank you all for very helpful info.I didn't know how it works.BTW- great forum.
Old Aug 30th 2004, 2:52 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Have a look at the I-9 you need to fill out. You can submit a driver's license and SSN (without restrictions) and you are good to go. No need to even show the potential employer your green card.

http://uscis.gov/graphics/formsfee/forms/files/i-9.pdf

If he has an unrestricted ss card. Not everyoe is aware that conditional residency status allows them to have the legend removed. Or even if they do, they do not have the time or desire to visit the SSA and have it removed. It not something that can be done via mail.

Rete

PS I still have been unable to get my husband to the SSA to change his record to citizen and he is off most of the summer.
Old Aug 30th 2004, 4:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

DCMark is just really niceDCMark is just really niceDCMark is just really niceDCMark is just really niceDCMark is just really niceDCMark is just really niceDCMark is just really niceDCMark is just really niceDCMark is just really niceDCMark is just really niceDCMark is just really nice

Rete
Can you travel overseas with that letter?
Old Aug 30th 2004, 4:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

No. The approval letter specifically states "You should not travel outside the United States before receiving your new card unless you have first received a passport endorsement from this Service indicating that your new card is being processed".

Originally Posted by DCMark
Can you travel overseas with that letter?
Old Aug 30th 2004, 4:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

All else being equal, it's probably easier to make a trip down to the Social Security office to get the restrictions removed than it is to go to the USCIS office to get the stamp.

It's always better to get the restrictions on the Social Security card removed sooner than later. And I should know. I waited to get my restrictions removed until I had received my NOA to extend my conditional green card for a year. It was much more of a hassle to get the restrictions removed at that point (SS staff weren't really familiar with NOAs that extend conditional green card expirations) than it would have been if I had visited the Social Security office once I had successfully adjusted (rather than waiting).

If he has an unrestricted ss card. Not everyoe is aware that conditional residency status allows them to have the legend removed. Or even if they do, they do not have the time or desire to visit the SSA and have it removed. It not something that can be done via mail.

Rete

PS I still have been unable to get my husband to the SSA to change his record to citizen and he is off most of the summer.
Old Aug 30th 2004, 4:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

DCMark is just really niceDCMark is just really niceDCMark is just really niceDCMark is just really niceDCMark is just really niceDCMark is just really niceDCMark is just really niceDCMark is just really niceDCMark is just really niceDCMark is just really niceDCMark is just really nice

No. The approval letter specifically states "You should not travel outside the United States before receiving your new card unless you have first received a passport endorsement from this Service indicating that your new card is being processed".
Ugh. So you have to go back and get another passport stamp, like the first one.
Old Aug 30th 2004, 4:43 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

After the I751 has been submitted you'll get a notice of action receipt
showing the monies paid submitted with the I751
With the following paragraph

"Your alien card is extended 1 year - employment and travel authorised. Processing your form will require a minimum of 6 months. If you have not heard from us within 8 months, then you may contact this office."

I have travelled to Canada with the Card/Letter/Passport and been fine.

another person I know travelled to Canada and had to go to 2ndry inspection for a grilling.

If it makes you feel better go update the I-551 in your passport.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.