Concerns over sister going to usa

Old Mar 11th 2015, 9:53 am
Just Joined

Lincoln uk is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Concerns over sister going to usa

Can anyone give advice or their thoughts on my sister she has two children 11 and 8. She has met some guy on line who has paid her air fare to go to visit him in Virginia. She is leaving the children at home with a friend and says she is coming home with the guy from Usa with the intention of selling up and moving out there. She is 46 still married although they have been apart for several years. The guy is Puerto Ricon told her he was brought up in the Bronx but know lives in Virginia. The family are worried sick about her but she is determined to go.
Any comments appreciated
thanks
Old Mar 11th 2015, 10:40 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Concerns over sister going to usa

Originally Posted by Lincoln uk
Can anyone give advice or their thoughts on my sister she has two children 11 and 8. She has met some guy on line who has paid her air fare to go to visit him in Virginia. She is leaving the children at home with a friend and says she is coming home with the guy from Usa with the intention of selling up and moving out there. She is 46 still married although they have been apart for several years. The guy is Puerto Ricon told her he was brought up in the Bronx but know lives in Virginia. The family are worried sick about her but she is determined to go.
Any comments appreciated
thanks
First thing that comes to mind is what visa is she planning to get?!
Old Mar 11th 2015, 10:46 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Not sure what you'd like to know. Your sister is an adult, and although the family is worried, I doubt there's any real action you can take to prevent her from going.

Her current plan does not seem to follow any solid immigration path. If she's interested in immigrating the right way, she can come here and ask questions. She can't legally just up and move to the USA without an appropriate visa, and for that she needs to be divorced, but lots of people go to the USA willy-nilly and just stay there illegally. She also needs permission from the children's father to remove them from the UK, even if she gets divorced and gets an appropriate visa.

You could suggest that she join BE herself to ask how immigration to the USA works. Her current plan is full of holes.

Rene

Last edited by Noorah101; Mar 11th 2015 at 10:49 am.
Old Mar 11th 2015, 10:48 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
First thing that comes to mind is what visa is she planning to get?!
Her first thing would be to get a divorce, then she could think of moving..
Old Mar 11th 2015, 11:45 am
crg
American Expat

crg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond repute

If she's moving to the US without permission, you could drop a dime on her and that might work.

Since one is still married to someone, the legal options available to move are limited.
Old Mar 11th 2015, 1:18 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lincoln uk
Can anyone give advice or their thoughts on my sister...
I'll be happy to give you both my advice and my thoughts.

She has met some guy on line who has paid her air fare to go to visit him in Virginia.
This, by itself, is not unusual. Many of us here met online and went to visit the US. Sometimes we paid, sometimes the USC friend paid.

She is leaving the children at home with a friend...
Good... because she'd need written permission from the children's father to remove them from UK jurisdiction. Perhaps the issue here is not that she's leaving the children at home, but that she's leaving them with a friend and not a family member.

... and says she is coming home with the guy from Usa with the intention of selling up and moving out there.
Again, this is not unusual. Many of us have done the same.

She is 46...
So, she's an adult. Good - that gives her the freedom to make decisions for herself without interference from anyone else.

... still married...
Ah... well then, here's the first issue. If she intends to move to the US, she must be divorced... because the only way that's going to happen is if she marries the guy from Virginia. Further, as already mentioned, she can't take the children with her unless she has written permission from the children's father (or a court order giving her permission). If permission is not easily obtained, she's in for a very long process. As astonishing as it might sound, mothers have been known to simply leave their children at home and run off to the US to get married and stay. That is always her option... regardless of what you might think of that strategy.

The guy is Puerto Ricon told her he was brought up in the Bronx but know lives in Virginia.
This is irrelevant.

The family are worried sick about her but she is determined to go.
Quite simply, absent force, neither you nor anyone else in her family can stop her from going if she's determined to go. I suggest you don't try. Let her succeed or fail on her own.

Any comments appreciated
This probably wasn't what you wanted to hear, but you did ask.

Ian
Old Mar 11th 2015, 1:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

zzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by crg
If she's moving to the US without permission, you could drop a dime on her and that might work.
This just gave me a good chuckle! Either you've not got sisters or they are just pussy cats - but if I 'dropped the dime' on my sister and she found out I'd have to go into hiding!!!
Old Mar 11th 2015, 2:41 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

What I did was similar, except I wasn't married, didn't have children, and Mrs P is not Puerto Rican. ...... Where in Virginia is she heading to? It is a large state with a very diverse range of communities ranging from expensive luxury suburbs near Washington DC, coastal cities and a port, large areas of rural farmland, lowland forests, and then remote and fairly sparsely populated heavily wooded mountains. Your sister could be going to a relatively familiar urban-suburban environment, or she could be going to a much more "out in the wilds" area.
Old Mar 11th 2015, 4:02 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
What I did was similar, except I wasn't married, didn't have children, and Mrs P is not Puerto Rican.
So then, not similar at all! What I did was similar also, then!

Ian
Old Mar 11th 2015, 4:27 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
So then, not similar at all! What I did was similar also, then! .....
She was in Virginia, and I was an adult in the UK, so 3 out of 6, I suppose.
Old Mar 11th 2015, 7:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Maryland (via Belfast, Manchester, Toronto and London)
MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute

Ask her to give you his contact info - name, address, telephone numbers, email etc. Hopefully she has also skyped him and knows he is legit. Beyond that, there isn't much else for you to do but worry.
Old Mar 11th 2015, 7:26 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MarylandNed
Ask her to give you his contact info - name, address, telephone numbers, email etc. Hopefully she has also skyped him and knows he is legit. Beyond that, there isn't much else for you to do but worry.
+1

Let her know you are concerned and have her best interests at heart.
Old Mar 11th 2015, 7:27 pm

Originally Posted by MarylandNed
On the contrary, if she is willing to give that information you can do a lot with it these days, even without paying any of the background search websites.

First, take a Google Maps Street View look at the address (assuming it is not way out in the sticks) and Google the name and town/ city, which might give you news reports, convictions, or other web sites with that name and location. Other web sites allow searches of name and address data such as the state sex offender registry, the secretary of state's registry of corporations and business owners, the state register of licensed professionals (there are very many occupations in the US that require state registration), the state register of political donations, among others.

Along the way doing various such free searches you will probably find if anyone else is linked to the same address. ..... A lack of information for the named person at the specified address may be as concerning as any information that you do find.

For around $50 per name some web sites may have a whole lot more information, (linked names, family members, previous addresses, employment history, current and previous vehicles owned, etc.) though personally I wouldn't bother paying for searches unless the free searches give you specific cause for concern.

Last edited by Pulaski; Mar 11th 2015 at 7:39 pm.
Old Mar 11th 2015, 7:34 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Pulaski
She was in Virginia...
Mine was in Kentucky... which used to be part of Virginia.

... and I was an adult in the UK...
I was an adult in Canada... which is practically the UK!

Ian
Old Mar 11th 2015, 10:00 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

The father can stop her taking the children, if she decides to take the children, because if they're still married then he has parental rights under the Children Act in the UK.

I'm not sure it's anything to get worried about though from the description. She can't move without an immigrant visa and she can't take the kids without the father's permission so let her figure out if she likes the guy first.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.