Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Completing APIS Details when flying to US on Immigrant Visa

Completing APIS Details when flying to US on Immigrant Visa

Old May 20th 2009, 2:05 pm
Just Joined

mcsqueeb will become famous soon enoughmcsqueeb will become famous soon enough
Default Completing APIS Details when flying to US on Immigrant Visa

I am in the process of applying for a Green Card via my wife (USC).

I have now received my Immigrant Visa from the US Embassy in London and have booked mine and my wife's flight to the US from London.

My question is how do I complete the APIS information required by US immigration via the Airlines website.

The options are:

Visa Waiver (I know it's not this one)
Legal Permanent Resident (I will not receive my Green Card until I arrive in the US and complete FORM I-551).
US Citizen (Not this one)
Other (This is what I think I should select)

Also what country should I put as my country of residence:

UK (This is what it has been until now)
USA (This is what it will be once I arrive in the US)

Any pointers would be much appreciated. Many thanks in advance.
Old May 20th 2009, 4:15 pm

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Completing APIS Details when flying to US on Immigrant Visa

m,

Form I-551 is the green card. It is not a form that you "complete".

Regards, JEff

Originally Posted by mcsqueeb
(I will not receive my Green Card until I arrive in the US and complete FORM I-551).
Old May 20th 2009, 4:31 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond repute

I am in the process of applying for a Green Card via my wife (USC).

I have now received my Immigrant Visa from the US Embassy in London and have booked mine and my wife's flight to the US from London.

My question is how do I complete the APIS information required by US immigration via the Airlines website.

The options are:

Visa Waiver (I know it's not this one)
Legal Permanent Resident (I will not receive my Green Card until I arrive in the US and complete FORM I-551).
US Citizen (Not this one)
Other (This is what I think I should select)

Also what country should I put as my country of residence:

UK (This is what it has been until now)

Any pointers would be much appreciated. Many thanks in advance.
Hmmm..kinda tricky. As soon as you go through immigration, you ARE a Legal Perm Resident.

However, given that you are not technically a LPR until entry, and you can still possibly be denied entry on your visa, I'd select Other and the UK as your residence.
Old May 20th 2009, 6:09 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

This one - although, as Jeff indicates, it's not a form you fill out. The I-551 *IS* the green card (or it's equivalent).

This one.

Ian
Old May 20th 2009, 6:19 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sunflwrgrl13
However, given that you are not technically a LPR until entry, and you can still possibly be denied entry on your visa, I'd select Other and the UK as your residence.
I would argue that as soon as he lands in the US he becomes an LPR... and that all immigration does is provide him with proof of that status. Consider for a moment what would happen if he were to pre-clear US immigration in a foreign country? By your definition, he would be a PR before he leaves foreign soil... in which case, why leave? I suggest that while he might have proof of his status in advance, that status doesn't actually begin until he lands in the US.

Ian
Old May 20th 2009, 6:33 pm

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

I'm inclined to go with sfg's answer.

APIS is Advance Passenger Information System - advance notice of passengers sent to CBP at least 1 hour prior to flight departure. At that time, when someone compares the information to what's known about m, the reaction will be 'no, he's not a LPR and no, he doesn't reside in the USA'.

My suspicion is that this may be a 'no harm, no foul' situation in this particular circumstance.

Regards, JEff

Originally Posted by sunflwrgrl13

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
I would argue that as soon as he lands in the US he becomes an LPR... and that all immigration does is provide him with proof of that status. Consider for a moment what would happen if he were to pre-clear US immigration in a foreign country? By your definition, he would be a PR before he leaves foreign soil... in which case, why leave? I suggest that while he might have proof of his status in advance, that status doesn't actually begin until he lands in the US.

Ian