complete beginner

Old Jul 6th 2001, 12:05 am
Dekks

Hi there

I live in bristol uk and my fiancee in boston us, we plan to marry next summer, she
is currently a student although finishes first year of university next may (she will
be 21 then), i have read the k1faq.com site carefull but still not clear on a few
things and want to get it all sstraight before we even start getitng ready. If she is
a student, could her parents co-sponsor for affividant of support? (they have agreed
to this if it is possible), secondly, once i enter the us, i take it i am entitled to
a 90 day EAD stamp and ss number until i get married, once married i apply for
adjustment of status, what is the usual timeline of not being able to work from being
married until being granted 1 year EAD card?

I am sure this has all been asked before but want to make sure i get everything
straight before we start the k1 process next year, (if we start in may, following hte
usual timeline, would we be processed and able to get married by august, the usual
timeline being around 3-4 months?).

Thank you for your help
--
dekks

Old Jul 6th 2001, 12:26 am
Alvena Ferreira

Dekks wrote:
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

Yes, they can do this.

secondly, once i enter the us, i take it i am entitled to a
    >
    >
    >

If you live in Boston, you can file for the EAD and AOS in person at Boston INS and
get your EAD the same day you file...another 1-2 weeks to get a SS card, and you can
work. You may (or may not) be able also to get a 90-day temporary EAD IF you enter
the US at JFK (but if you will be living in Boston, that wont make much difference
probably) Not all ports of entry give EAD stamp, but JFK has been doing it still,
most of the time. (but not every time)
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
I would start sooner...like 6-8 months before you plan to marry at least. The visa is
good for six months once you get it, for a one-time entry into the US. It won't hurt
to have it a bit too soon, but if the service center times get longer, you might end
up not getting it in time if you file 3-4 months before you want it.

Alvena
===
I am not a lawyer and this is not legal advice; this is my personal opinion, posted
for the purpose of discussion only.
===
K-1 FAQ: http://www.k1faq.com Timelines: http://www.wkh.org/ A great K-1 Site:
http://pages.prodigy.net/alixtcat/immigrat.htm Marriage Visa Pages:
http://www.mindspring.com/~docsteen/...o/visainfo.htm
===

Old Jul 6th 2001, 6:53 am
Dekks

So Septmember to october is a good time to start? Am i still allowed to visit my
fiancee while the k-1 visa is being processed? and is she allowed to visit me? I plan
to stay for christmas but if we have to start the process before then, then i am
worried i will get turned down at the airport for entry.

And one last question seeing as everyone here is so helpful, when we visit each
other, is it best to just say visting a friend for a holiday/vacation, or is it ok to
say i am visiting my fiance?

>
[usenetquote2]> > I live in bristol uk and my fiancee in boston us, we plan to marry next summer,[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > she is currently a student although finishes first year of university next may[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > (she will be 21 then), i have read the k1faq.com[/usenetquote2]
site
[usenetquote2]> > carefull but still not clear on a few things and want to get it all sstraight[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > before we even start getitng ready. If she is a student, could[/usenetquote2]
her
[usenetquote2]> > parents co-sponsor for affividant of support? (they have agreed to this[/usenetquote2]
if
[usenetquote2]> > it is possible),[/usenetquote2]
    >
    >
    >
    >
[usenetquote2]> > 90 day EAD stamp and ss number until i get married, once married i apply[/usenetquote2]
for
[usenetquote2]> > adjustment of status, what is the usual timeline of not being able to[/usenetquote2]
work
[usenetquote2]> > from being married until being granted 1 year EAD card?[/usenetquote2]
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
[usenetquote2]> >[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > I am sure this has all been asked before but want to make sure i get everything[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > straight before we start the k1 process next year, (if we[/usenetquote2]
start
[usenetquote2]> > in may, following hte usual timeline, would we be processed and able to[/usenetquote2]
get
[usenetquote2]> > married by august, the usual timeline being around 3-4 months?).[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> >[/usenetquote2]
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

Old Jul 6th 2001, 10:46 am
Alvena Ferreira

Dekks wrote:
    >
    >
    >
    >

I would file while I was visiting at Christmas. The forms are easier to complete if
you are both together, frankly. That would give you 8 months for the visa from start
to finish, which should be more than adequate. The US citizen can visit you any time
she so desires, providing that UK immigration will allow her to enter the UK.
    >
    >
    >
    >

It is generally wise to say as little as possible, but always to tell the truth. Keep
a smile on your face and act like you always have acted. Several have suggested that
if they ask you who you are visiting, say "a friend." If they note that you have a
fiance visa petition filed for you and ask you if this is true, say "yes" and then
quickly go on to say that you would not do anything to jeopardize your fiance visa
process, especially staying in the US.

There are no guarantees....What you need to bring is evidence of your intent to
return to the UK...what you do is travel to the US and wait until you go through
immigration, and hope like all get out that they let you in. Evidence you should
bring with you includes: a copy of letter from employer stating when you are expected
to return, copy of apartment lease agreement, copy of bank account, and anything else
that you can get your hands on. If you are leaving a child behind in the care of
someone else, a letter from that someone stating when you are expected to return. The
more evidence you provide, the better your chances are of being let in, however bear
in mind, the immigration officer will have the last say on this. You could be
spending money on the plane fare for nothing if they put you on the next plane back
to your country.
    >
Alvena
===
I am not a lawyer and this is not legal advice; this is my personal opinion, posted
for the purpose of discussion only.
===
K-1 FAQ: http://www.k1faq.com Timelines: http://www.wkh.org/ A great K-1 Site:
http://pages.prodigy.net/alixtcat/immigrat.htm Doc Steen's Marriage Visa Pages:
http://www.mindspring.com/~docsteen/...o/visainfo.htm
===

Old Jul 6th 2001, 3:12 pm
Steve and Carol

Hello there, I am the USC and my fiance is a UKC. We got engaged over Christmas and
while I was over there, we filled out his paperwork that had to be included in the
I-129F packet. Then when I came home, I put it all together and got the necessary
paperwork I needed and sent in the packet. When I would fly to the UK to visit him, I
always told the customs people in Heathrow that I was going to visit my boyfriend.
They usually asked me questions such as am I am planning to get married while on
holiday, how long I plan to the in the UK, what do I do at home, do I have a round
trip ticket, etc. And that was it. I never had problems going into the UK. He's not
come to the US since we started the process because we feared he'd get turned away at
the POE. Good Luck to you! Carol (USC) Steve (UKC)

>
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
her
    >
    >
a
    >
for
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
get
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

Old Jul 6th 2001, 4:09 pm
Forum Regular

smldnabjp is an unknown quantity at this point

Personal experience as to entering the country once the paper work is started (the states that is). I filed the paperwork in feb with vsc and it was approved at the begining of march, my fiance (UK citizen) came to the us for a visit on easter, all clear through immigration- no questions asked. This was at Logan Airport in Boston. He was also able to get a J1 visa a while back after stating on that paper work he had a fiancee in the states. If you bring proof that you will return to the UK I don't think you will have many problems if they ask any questions coming through.