Co-sponsorer - and more ??

Old May 6th 2007, 6:56 am
Just Joined

hyd-pdx is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Co-sponsorer - and more ??

My case is a little different.. I guess..

I am an American citizen, my husband is Indian and we've been married for a year. I've been living in India all this time.. we met online and he has never been to America...

On April 5th, we submitted an I-130 Petition at the Embassy in New Delhi, and we received a confirmation letter on the 28th..

I am so confused about what to do now.. Since I LIVE in India.. I'm here on a long-term visa and all.. I am not employeed in America, I can't show proof of employment/income.

Originally, I was considering returning to the US and working, so I could show proof of income. Now, I just learned I"m pregnant (due around Christmas) and I don't want to go back to America and work.. health care is much cheaper here, and I'll need emotional support from my husband during my pregnancy.. I can't live alone where I have no one, plus work and all that...

So, my dad has agreed to co-sponsor for us, he makes enough money but my concerns are...

1) When I filed the I-130 petition, I gave my grandmother's address in the US as my permanent address.. my father moves a lot, so it's easier to give my grandmothers.. thus, could my father still sponsor my husband? Even though we aren't "household members"? Should I file a changed of address form, and use my father's address? Although I'm still living in India with my husband...

2) I cannot show any tax transcripts.., I am 20 and never worked before in the US..

I really don't know what to do. If anyone knows of any comprehensive websites that explain exactly what to bring to the interview and how to prepare.. I'd be grateful.

My case is more complicated due to the fact that I am not living in the US right now, and haven't even visited in a year.. thus I have no proof of employment, etc
Old May 6th 2007, 12:39 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Co-sponsorer - and more ??

Originally Posted by hyd-pdx
1) ... thus, could my father still sponsor my husband?
You are your husband's sponsor, but yes... your father can still be a joint sponsor for him as long as he meets the income requirement for his household plus your husband. As long as your father is able to receive mail at your grandmother's address, I wouldn't file a change of address.

2) I cannot show any tax transcripts.., I am 20 and never worked before in the US.
Eventually, you will be required to show domicile (read: ties) in the US. Filing tax returns - even though you were not required to at the time - is one way to demonstrate your ongoing connection to the US.

If anyone knows of any comprehensive websites that explain exactly what to bring to the interview and how to prepare.. I'd be grateful.
Start at www.uscis.gov. I'm afraid it is comprehensive, but it's not terribly well organized, so this forum may remain the best resource for your questions. On the practical side, since you're going to remain in India until after the birth of your child, I wouldn't worry about any of this for at least another year.

My case is more complicated due to the fact that I am not living in the US right now, and haven't even visited in a year.. thus I have no proof of employment, etc
If this is your biggest concern, your case really is *not* complicated. Many folks who have successfully navigated the immigration process have lived outside the US for many more years than you.

Ian
Old May 6th 2007, 1:27 pm
Just Joined

hyd-pdx is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for your reply..

While I do plan to give birth to my child IN India, we're still continuing the immigration process... I don't know how long it will take, but if my husband gets his visa before the baby is born (In Dec/Jan) then we'll just stay here until the child is born and gets his passport then we'll go to the US together. But surely his visa will not be approved before then.. it's such a long process..

My father visits my grandparents weekly, so I guess he can collect mail there.. but won't they want proof of his address?
Old May 6th 2007, 2:25 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hyd-pdx
... we'll just stay here until the child is born and gets his passport then we'll go to the US together.
Your child may or may not be a US citizen at birth, and so may or may not require a visa. Best to check on this.

... won't they want proof of his address?
No, not really.

Ian