Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Co Sponsor responsible to pay back grants?

Co Sponsor responsible to pay back grants?

Old Sep 20th 2004, 7:23 pm
Forum Regular

Jess2100 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Co Sponsor responsible to pay back grants?

Hello All....

Hoping someone can shed some light on this for me. My husband will be attending college once he gets his green card (hopefully at the end of the month). We have a co sponsor, thanks to his wonderful Aunt. If my husband gets grants will the co sponsor (and I) be resposible for the money he gets? We weren't sure if this is considered welfare. His Aunt is really worried about that, is there any place where we can find this info for her. Thanks again.
Old Sep 20th 2004, 7:28 pm
Forum Regular

kevin_nash is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Co Sponsor responsible to pay back grants?

I am pretty sure answer is no.
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jess2100
Hello All....

Hoping someone can shed some light on this for me. My husband will be attending college once he gets his green card (hopefully at the end of the month). We have a co sponsor, thanks to his wonderful Aunt. If my husband gets grants will the co sponsor (and I) be resposible for the money he gets? We weren't sure if this is considered welfare. His Aunt is really worried about that, is there any place where we can find this info for her. Thanks again.

Another post had the same question last week. Grants for tutition from either the federal or state government are not means tested benefits and do not have to be reimbursed.
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rete
Another post had the same question last week. Grants for tutition from either the federal or state government are not means tested benefits and do not have to be reimbursed.

PS the USCIS website has a list of what is means tested benefits so you might want to go there and print it out for Auntie.
Old Sep 20th 2004, 7:30 pm
Forum Regular

I've never seen a sponsor in that condition before. They never ask you or your sponsor to pay anything back. Affidavit of support is nothing but a joke.
Old Sep 20th 2004, 7:32 pm
Forum Regular

Jess2100 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Rete
PS the USCIS website has a list of what is means tested benefits so you might want to go there and print it out for Auntie.
Thanks Rete, I will print out that list for her.
Old Sep 20th 2004, 7:43 pm
Forum Regular

Your aunt doesn't need to worry because whatever you do she won't need to pay anything back.