Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Co-sponsor planning on retiring (tad bit lengthy)

Co-sponsor planning on retiring (tad bit lengthy)

Old Aug 9th 2002, 2:34 am
Evan Audette

Default Co-sponsor planning on retiring (tad bit lengthy)

Thanks to a reply I made to a thread here, I just remembered something I should ask
now before it's too late, heh.

My father-in-law is going to be my co-sponsor, however, he is planning on retiring
soon, I think by next year, or the year after. He's co-sponsoring me right now for
our K-3 process, which is fine because he'll still be employed during that process.
But a couple of questions come to mind:

1) Will the INS care if he retires AFTER the visa has been issued (or eventually when
I'm adjusted to PR), and I'm in the US working, etc?

2) What about my AOS when I arrive on my K-3. He would like to co-sponsor me then as
well, however, judging by the time it may take for the I-485 to process, a year or
so may have gone by, and he may be retired by then, although recieving pension
(and I highly doubt pension will meet the 125% poverty line for Ohio, although I'm
not sure). He said he could work a little longer if it's getting very close to our
future AOS interview (when and if it comes), then retire if the interview goes ok
and I'm accepted.

3) If he cannot co-sponsor me by then because of retirement, and I'm working under my
K-3 status still (or pending AOS), would my income count? I have a feeling it
won't, and may have to use assets (which no way in hell we have 5 times the amount
of anything yet to make up for any income gap)...that and I doubt working at Best
Buy or something @ 7 dollars an hour will meet 125%, as I don't have a degree yet
(really looking forward to attending university tho) LOL. I hope I won't be
"screwed and tatooed" during then, that would suck to come that far and come to
that kind of a major roadblock.

I know I'm jumping the gun, and I'm asking things WAY ahead of time. But it's always
nice to know these things now, where you can maybe try to plan for the worst case
scenario, instead of finding out at the last minute and having no time to compensate
for the snag.

Thanks in advance, and good luck to all,

-Ev

Old Aug 9th 2002, 11:31 am
Andy Platt

Default Re: Co-sponsor planning on retiring (tad bit lengthy)

It's a non issue. You don't have to be *working* to be a co-sponsor, you just need to
have the income.

Andy.

--
I'm not really here - it's just your warped imagination. "Evan Audette"
<[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Thanks to a reply I made to a thread here, I just remembered something I should ask
    > now before it's too late, heh.
    > My father-in-law is going to be my co-sponsor, however, he is planning on retiring
    > soon, I think by next year, or the year after. He's co-sponsoring me right now for
    > our K-3 process, which is fine because he'll still be employed during that process.
    > But a couple of questions come to mind:
    > 1) Will the INS care if he retires AFTER the visa has been issued (or eventually
    > when I'm adjusted to PR), and I'm in the US working, etc?
    > 2) What about my AOS when I arrive on my K-3. He would like to co-sponsor
me
    > then as well, however, judging by the time it may take for the I-485 to process, a
    > year or so may have gone by, and he may be retired by then, although recieving
    > pension (and I highly doubt pension will meet the 125% poverty line for Ohio,
    > although I'm not sure). He said he could work a little longer if it's getting very
    > close to our future AOS interview (when and if it comes), then retire if the
    > interview goes ok and I'm accepted.
    > 3) If he cannot co-sponsor me by then because of retirement, and I'm
working
    > under my K-3 status still (or pending AOS), would my income count? I have
a
    > feeling it won't, and may have to use assets (which no way in hell we have
    > times the amount of anything yet to make up for any income gap)...that and
I
    > doubt working at Best Buy or something @ 7 dollars an hour will meet 125%, as I
    > don't have a degree yet (really looking forward to attending
university
    > tho) LOL. I hope I won't be "screwed and tatooed" during then, that would suck to
    > come that far and come to that kind of a major roadblock.
    > I know I'm jumping the gun, and I'm asking things WAY ahead of time. But it's
    > always nice to know these things now, where you can maybe try to plan for the worst
    > case scenario, instead of finding out at the last minute and having no time to
    > compensate for the snag.
    > Thanks in advance, and good luck to all,
    > -Ev