Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

cmstrick's question - Can you work in the USA for UK company before receiving EAD?

cmstrick's question - Can you work in the USA for UK company before receiving EAD?

Old Mar 24th 2009, 8:33 pm
Forum Regular

cmstrick is an unknown quantity at this point
Default cmstrick's question - Can you work in the USA for UK company before receiving EAD?

when i went through this with my husband he received his EAD before the AP. actually, he never got the AP. can you "work from home" for the England job so you can log into a computer here to do work for them while you wait?
Old Mar 24th 2009, 8:38 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Advance Parole Question

Originally Posted by cmstrick
when i went through this with my husband he received his EAD before the AP. actually, he never got the AP. can you "work from home" for the England job so you can log into a computer here to do work for them while you wait?
As long as you have the EAD, you can work from home, yes.
Old Mar 24th 2009, 9:00 pm
Forum Regular

she has to have EAD to work for the british company and get paid over there?
Old Mar 24th 2009, 9:01 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

she has to have EAD to work for the british company and get paid over there?
If she's physically present in the USA, I believe so, yes.

Rene
Old Mar 24th 2009, 9:03 pm
Forum Regular

i don't get it? isn't the EAD to prove that you have authorization to work in the US, and technically by working for the british company and getting paid by them over there she wouldn't technically be working in the US?
Old Mar 24th 2009, 9:09 pm

i don't get it? isn't the EAD to prove that you have authorization to work in the US, and technically by working for the british company and getting paid by them over there she wouldn't technically be working in the US?
I could be wrong, but I think it has more to do with where your body is physically. Maybe start a new thread with this specific question, and see if you get more responses.

Rene
Old Mar 24th 2009, 9:15 pm

I moved this discussion to a new thread for you. If she enters the USA on a K-1, she will be work authorized for the first 90 days anyway. After that, she will need the 1-year EAD to work.

I always thought you had to have work authorization to do any work at all while you're physically present in the USA, even if it's for a UK company and getting paid in the UK. I could be wrong.

Rene
Old Mar 24th 2009, 9:19 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Noorah101
I always thought you had to have work authorization to do any work at all while you're physically present in the USA, even if it's for a UK company and getting paid in the UK. I could be wrong.

Rene
Technically, I think you're right.

Realisticly, I wonder how USCIS would ever find out?
Old Mar 24th 2009, 9:22 pm

Originally Posted by sunflwrgrl13
Technically, I think you're right.

Realisticly, I wonder how USCIS would ever find out?
They probably wouldn't. And even if they did, it would probably be forgiven, just as working in the USA during the gap between temp EAD and 1-year EAD is.

Rene
Old Mar 24th 2009, 9:26 pm
Forum Regular

Default Re: cmstrick's question - Can you work in the USA for UK company before receiving EAD

oh thanks for putting it on a separate thread. i wondered how that happened when i started getting the replies on my bberry.

i was just making a suggestion for another poster because my DH waited to work until he got his EAD.

but, if the EAD isn't required to work on US soil for the british company while getting paid in the british bank account that may be a good option for this person while they are waiting.

the whole reason i suggested it is because they wanted to return with the AP to work over there. my DH applied for the EAD and AP on the same day. he never got the AP...i guess a year had gone by or he had received his GC before they ever got to that application.

i'm just trying to give other options to this individual to make better financial plans in case they have the same issue with the AP that we did.
Old Mar 24th 2009, 9:30 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

Here's the thing.

If you are working in the USA, you're expected to pay US taxes

You cannot be using US roads, bridges, libraries, sidewalks, police, fire, 911 dispatch and not paying taxes in the USA

whether or not you work for a British, Chinese, American Fijian company..... it is irrelevant.

in order to work in the USA you need authorisation and pay taxes to support the infrastructure you are using.
Old Mar 24th 2009, 9:38 pm
Forum Regular

Default Re: cmstrick's question - Can you work in the USA for UK company before receiving EAD

well, they are allowing those waiting for the EAD to do all of that for free....
Old Mar 24th 2009, 9:57 pm

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

cms,

Lose this 'technically' thing. There's nothing technical about it - if she's in the USA, and she's working, she's working in the USA. And US law says that an alien needs authorization from CIS to work in the USA.

Regards, JEff

Last edited by jeffreyhy; Mar 24th 2009 at 9:59 pm.
Old Mar 24th 2009, 10:16 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jeffreyhy
cms,

Lose this 'technically' thing. There's nothing technical about it - if she's in the USA, and she's working, she's working in the USA. And US law says that an alien needs authorization from CIS to work in the USA.

Regards, JEff
Weeeeelllll, not technically.

There was some recent discussion in the Immigration forum about that last week. Ignore the messy bits.

long-stay in the US -Visa and employment

Setting up online business with a F2 visa

JCF has alluded to this in other threads as well; he has a more open perspective on the topic than we've held in the forums. Of course, that's his job.
Old Mar 24th 2009, 10:32 pm

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

Damn - caught on a technicality.

Originally Posted by meauxna
Weeeeelllll, not technically.

There was some recent discussion in the Immigration forum about that last week. Ignore the messy bits.

long-stay in the US -Visa and employment

Setting up online business with a F2 visa

JCF has alluded to this in other threads as well; he has a more open perspective on the topic than we've held in the forums. Of course, that's his job.