Citizenship question

Old Aug 23rd 2007, 4:30 pm
Just Joined

Rick1980 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Citizenship question

Dear all,

I recently been approved to PR and my card is in production. I am assuming I will get the 2-yrs one first and after that apply to remove the conditions and eventually apply for citizenship.

my question is from what date I should start counting (3 years to apply for citizenship?) from the date of the interview or from the date of the completion of my background check?

Thanks,

Rick
Old Aug 23rd 2007, 4:41 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Citizenship question

Originally Posted by Rick1980
my question is from what date I should start counting (3 years to apply for citizenship?) from the date of the interview or from the date of the completion of my background check?
When you receive your GC in the mail, there will be a date on there "resident since". That's the date you'll start counting from.

It won't be the date of your interview, it will be the date USCIS approved your AOS.

Rene
Old Aug 23rd 2007, 4:43 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Citizenship question

Originally Posted by Rick1980
Dear all,

I recently been approved to PR and my card is in production. I am assuming I will get the 2-yrs one first and after that apply to remove the conditions and eventually apply for citizenship.

Thanks,

Rick

Rick, when your Green Card arrives, it will have a line on the front that says "Resident Since". That is your official PR start date, and you count forward from that.

If you have been married for less than 2 years on that date, your status will be Permanent Resident (conditional) and you will be required to petition to remove the condition shortly before that 2 year deadline using form I-751.

These useful articles from USCIS detail your rights and responsibilities as a US Permanent Resident and what you must do to maintain status:

I Am A Permanent Resident, How Do I...?
http://tinyurl.com/34mvrv

(I don't know what happened to the article 'Now That You Are a Permanent Resident' but it's a good one to search too)

How Do I Remove The Conditions On Permanent Residence Based On Marriage?
http://tinyurl.com/344h44

Removing Conditions On Permanent Residence Based On Marriage
http://tinyurl.com/2rv7do

Welcome to the United States: A Guide for New Immigrants
http://tinyurl.com/y96dh2

There is also information on Naturalization in the first link if that is your ultimate goal.