Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Citizenship: processing time for Seattle?

Citizenship: processing time for Seattle?

Old Sep 24th 2008, 9:27 pm
TBP
Just Joined

TBP is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Citizenship: processing time for Seattle?

My husband and I are undecided about staying here in the US or returning to the UK. He is a US citizen and we have been in the US for 5 years - I have a green card. A few people have asked why I don't get citizenship here then if we leave and come back we won't have to go through the whole process again - which makes too much sense.
Has anyone recently applied from the Seattle area for citizenship? I have looked at the USCIS site for processing times but was wondering if this was accurate (ie processing applications from August 2007).
Would be grateful to hear from anyone going through the Seattle field office.
Many thanks,
TBP
Old Sep 25th 2008, 3:20 am
Forum Regular

Teremok is just really niceTeremok is just really niceTeremok is just really niceTeremok is just really niceTeremok is just really niceTeremok is just really niceTeremok is just really niceTeremok is just really nice
Default Re: Citizenship: processing time for Seattle?

Hi,

I am actually going for my interview and civics test tomorrow, 25th Sept in Seattle; my application has taken 2 years. My wife's application took 4 months from submitting the N400 to getting her passport. We both applied at the same time, the forms were mailed in the same envelope! there doesn't seem to be any reason why mine took longer.
Old Sep 25th 2008, 3:48 am
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Teremok
Hi,

I am actually going for my interview and civics test tomorrow, 25th Sept in Seattle; my application has taken 2 years. My wife's application took 4 months from submitting the N400 to getting her passport. We both applied at the same time, the forms were mailed in the same envelope! there doesn't seem to be any reason why mine took longer.
You name probably rang alarm bells ...
Old Sep 25th 2008, 11:24 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

We both applied at the same time, the forms were mailed in the same envelope! there doesn't seem to be any reason why mine took longer.
You're assuming that the same person is processing both applications - work often gets divided up to balance the load. You're also assuming that the applications received the same scrutiny... some get more, some get less.

Ian
Old Sep 27th 2008, 3:30 am
TBP
Just Joined

Hi,

Teremok: I hope your interview went well and that you were successful with the civics test.
I have got together all the information to send for my N-400 although our mortgage has always been in my husband's name as when we bought the house I didn't have a SS number therefore they couldn't get a credit score for me so I was deemed uncredit worthy and sadly no one would do an international credit score - hey ho!
In 2006 I was put on the title of the house and I have this document as well as the latest property tax assessment document so hopefully this will be OK.
I have included copies of a home equity line of credit taken out two years ago which is in both our names as well as 3 years tax returns filed jointly and bank statements for the last 3 years.
I have our marriage certificate (married 2000) and my husband's US birth certificate. Can anyone recommend anything else to submit to help our application.
Many thanks,
TBP
Old Sep 27th 2008, 3:44 am

anabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TBP
Teremok: I hope your interview went well and that you were successful with the civics test.
I have got together all the information to send for my N-400 although our mortgage has always been in my husband's name as when we bought the house I didn't have a SS number therefore they couldn't get a credit score for me so I was deemed uncredit worthy and sadly no one would do an international credit score - hey ho!
In 2006 I was put on the title of the house and I have this document as well as the latest property tax assessment document so hopefully this will be OK.
I have included copies of a home equity line of credit taken out two years ago which is in both our names as well as 3 years tax returns filed jointly and bank statements for the last 3 years.
I have our marriage certificate (married 2000) and my husband's US birth certificate. Can anyone recommend anything else to submit to help our application.
Many thanks,
TBP
This is a very thorough list ...

http://www.immihelp.com/citizenship/...checklist.html
Old Sep 27th 2008, 4:01 am
Forum Regular

Teremok is just really niceTeremok is just really niceTeremok is just really niceTeremok is just really niceTeremok is just really niceTeremok is just really niceTeremok is just really niceTeremok is just really nice

Hi,

Passed the tests, had a good chat with the immigration officer. When I thought the interview was over I was told that he could not proceed with my naturalization and that my file was being sent out of state. Where he was not allowed to say for reasons he could not divulge.

Anyone been in this situation?

TBP - Where in WA do you live
Old Sep 27th 2008, 4:32 am
TBP
Just Joined

Teremok: this must be so surprising/shocking for you particularly after your wife got her citizenship after such a short time.
I am in Seattle and hope this is going to be a trouble free journey but I have no doubt there will be obstacles in my way!
I hope they give you reasons for their decisions so that you can sort out your situation.
TBP
Old Sep 27th 2008, 8:48 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,

Passed the tests, had a good chat with the immigration officer. When I thought the interview was over I was told that he could not proceed with my naturalization and that my file was being sent out of state. Where he was not allowed to say for reasons he could not divulge.

Anyone been in this situation?

TBP - Where in WA do you live
Based on what you wrote earlier, it sounds as if you were in a lengthy name check. Because the Service has a limited amount of time to approve/disapprove you once they interview, they will no longer interview until the name check is back & clear.
Maybe they just need to get the supervisor's signature before approving (common). I don't know about the 'out of state' comment.

I think I wouldn't let a lot of time go by without checking back. If it is possible for you to follow up in 2 weeks of not hearing anything, well, best to keep a fire under them.
Old Sep 28th 2008, 2:30 am
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

I wonder if he change States since applying ..
Old Sep 28th 2008, 3:16 pm
Forum Regular

Hi,

I have lived in WA for 10 years, my wife and I are both English, never missed a tax return, no criminal record. Came on a L1 obtained a green card seven years ago. I have spoken to my congressman's office, (you can petition for them to intervene if any INS application is out side processing times), which I have done. I am told I should have an update this week.
Old Sep 28th 2008, 10:00 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

I am told I should have an update this week.
I predict that they will tell you exactly the same information that you already know.

Ian
Old Oct 4th 2008, 2:32 am
Forum Regular

The Congressman's office was a great help and was able to find out more information than I had expected.

There are two issues as I believe, one which I have known about for a long time is that I share the same name and age as a known IRA terrorist, it's always caused a bit of a flap with immigration, and the second issue is something I had not expected.

Does anyone know what INS constitutes as a day out of the country, i.e. 24 hours = one day, or an overnight = one day, I live up on the US/Canadian border and worked for a US company under contract in Canada, I commuted daily from my home, left at 8am back at 6pm for a year. I was told by INS at the border crossing that this would not constitute a day out of the country. It's possible the Seattle INS Service Centre has a different understanding. I can not find anything written that clearly interprets what INS defines as a day.
Old Oct 4th 2008, 4:29 am
Forum Regular

Marty J has much to be proud ofMarty J has much to be proud ofMarty J has much to be proud ofMarty J has much to be proud ofMarty J has much to be proud ofMarty J has much to be proud ofMarty J has much to be proud ofMarty J has much to be proud ofMarty J has much to be proud ofMarty J has much to be proud ofMarty J has much to be proud of

Does anyone know what INS constitutes as a day out of the country
According to the instructions for the N-400, with regards to the number of days spent outside the US, "count the days of every trip that lasted 24 hours or longer".

So it would appear that trips lasting less than 24 hours aren't counted.
Old Oct 4th 2008, 5:25 am
Forum Regular

Thank you for the information, I had been looking for information everywhere when it has been right under my nose all the time! Not sure what part of NI you are in? I am heading to Castlederg to see my father in a few weeks time, are you in the process of, or looking at US citizenship?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.